SuperTech & Mercedes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did try the "search" feature but could not get any hit vis'-a-vis' availability for a SuperTech application for a '91 Mercedes 420SEL (canister type): does anyone know if one is available? The WalMart.com site has nothing automotive on it.

Thanks in advance for your consideration!
pat.gif

Well, maybe for a dozen?

How do you think we can afford our toys if we don't spend our $ wisely?
cheers.gif

Even when I'm rich enough to afford a Mercedes, I'll still go to Walmart! It's my weekly ritual to hit Walmart every Saturday morning! I get there early to avoid the crazies though!
grin.gif

Sorry, no SuperTech for you
tongue.gif

You are lucky, though, as you can get the excellent Hengst filter for under $5. Why even bother if the best quality is available so cheaply?!
dunno.gif

Lucky me! Unfortunately the only posting on the entire Oil Filter Forum that mentions HENGST is your posting.

I've been using the Purolator Plus (made in India)since it is about the only one commonly available. Fram has a part number but I've notr seen it in the stores. Any other good options?
confused.gif

Where can I get HENGST at your

As others have said, you won't find a filter to fit this car at Wal-Mart. However, you probably will at your local NAPA auto parts store. Twenty years ago, I had a Mercedes 240D that used a huge cartridge filter that was a combination full-flow and bypass filter and NAPA stocked a filter to fit it. (NAPA filters are made by Wix, and they are good filters.)

quote:

Originally posted by Norm Olt:
Wix is considered an upgrade compared to the Purolator Plus?
dunno.gif

Given that some Purolator Plus filters are now being made with cardboard end caps (like Fram), I'd have to answer YES to your question.

Based on the flow numbers given (which I admit may or may not be comparable) I would say the Wix is definitely a step up. Most Purolators are rated at 3-7GPM while the Wix is 11-13GPM.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
...Twenty years ago, I had a Mercedes 240D that used a huge cartridge filter that was a combination full-flow and bypass filter...

Hee, hee, hee... THAT brought back memories! My only foray into Mercedes ownership was with a used '75 300D with a similar (same?) setup. On the first oil and filter change I did on that beast, I got so enraged trying to hold the #%&@ed housing against the spring tension while trying to start the threads of the #%&@ed center bolt that I slammed it down on the concrete driveway with enough force to chip the concrete. Amazingly the housing didn't dent, even though it impacted on its lip. Proof that whoever engineered the housing gave thought to the anger that would ensue among owners too cheap to take the car to a Mercedes dealer for routine maintenance. (Successfully changing out a canister-type oil filter should be the final test for anyone completing an anger management course...) I've wondered since then whether Mercedes -ever- entered the 20th or 21st centuries with a spin-on oil filter on any of their automobile engines. Anyone?

-Ray Haeffele

I kinda' like the canister at the top of the engine: you can easily see what the filter is trapping and there is little mess if you are careful. Re:MB's engineering, I know for a fact they used a spin-on filter as early as '88 on the 300SE... Mounted upside down at an angle so it only drips about half its capacity on the ground!
shocked.gif

My '86 Legend used a canister type filter but it was a part of the oil cooler system which alledgedly came from their racing division: they went to a spin-on about 1988 for "cost reasons", I was informed by the service manager at the dealership that it was because the oil temp wasn't getting too high even with the cooler device bypassed. I think even the NSX uses a spin on.

Hasting = LF178
K& N = E-2872
AC Delco = PF962
Baldwin = P125
Pennzoil = PZ43
Wix = 51398

I found all this information on the web by cross referencing to the Purolator L20011 which thier website returns for you car.

Norm,
When I look up your car and engine in Baldwinfilter.com electronic catalog, I get their P125 as Mike did. When I cross that to Hastings, I get Hastings LF158. Baldwin and Hastings are the same company and make excellent filters. At both baldwinfilters.com and hastingsfilters.com they have distributor lookup finctions. WIX 51398 = Napa 1398, Baldwin/Hastings, Hengst or Bosch (from nobleforeign.com). I'd go Hengst for $5.49.

Ken

[ January 29, 2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Norm Olt:
Ken2!
smile.gif
OK, you are the second to recommend Hengst, but WHERE?
cheers.gif

I don't know why you can't find it. It's available at most foreign parts stores and numerous online places. For example, I often buy from www.ips-parts.com. They have really great service
phone.gif

quote:

I've wondered since then whether Mercedes -ever- entered the 20th or 21st centuries with a spin-on oil filter on any of their automobile engines. Anyone?

-Ray Haeffele [/QB]

Well, Ray, it looks like things are going the other way. GM is using a cartridge type oil filter on everything from Saturn Ion/L-series to SAABs.

I'm sure G.M. has its reasons as do I. I didn't know about the Ion. I looked H-A-R-D and thought long about one, but changed my mind and looked again at the Sonata (and bought). I've got about 2,800 miles on the V-6, and got over 31 mpg on a two way "canon-ball" run (~450 miles) to Vegas and back yesterday. The engine's not using any oil. Reason for the run? Just 'cause. I had changed out the factory-fill oil and filter at 600 miles and put 5W-30 SuperTech as a clean continuing break-in oil and a SuperTech filter on. I'll change again at 3,000 miles, but to my preferred 10W-30 weight SuperTech. I plan to save a sample of the old 5W-30 oil for an analysis.

-Ray Haeffele

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back