Photos of Honda oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a link to discussion and pictures of two Honda filters cut up and dissected. One is made by Fram and the othere Filtech. Filtech is of better construction. The author goes into greater pictorial detail than any other I have seen. There are also photos and discussion of Amsoil, Bosch, Purolator, Napa, K&N, Toyota, and Fram Extra Guard. One thing I have not figured out is which has a bypass valve at the open end of the filter and which at the closed end.
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=de2987f3ea11f7e4552f0012002d2a66&threadid=9528

[ January 27, 2003, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: thrace ]

That's an awesome find! Thanks for the link!
cheers.gif

great link...i run bosch as well. i think i have the best of both worlds, compared to mobil 1 and k & n. mobil one is very good at filtering but its restrictive in a way, and k&n has great flow but less filtering..hehe bosch is in the middle at like 14 micron i think. though i was looking into ac delco filters...hummmmm

I like the sound of the Wix filters, but I'm not even sure they are up here. I do know there is a Dana factory here though, and that they make our AC Delco filters there for the CDN market.

im currently using the bosch premium but im thinking of switching over to the WIX oil filter b/c it seems to have good flow rates. at highway speeds (70 mph) my b16a honda motor is revving at 4500 rpm.

car quest and napa are all wix filters and have the same exact rating....i was at car quest today and on their filters it says made by wix...when i called wix they told me they are all exactly the same..

i think fuzzy media is bad though i have no explanation. maybe an analogy would work...oki...ur air filter, woiuld u want a fuzzy looking filter or a good quality filter..? maybe fuzzy is not bad but it quite odd in comparing to the other filters out there.

quote:

Originally posted by mph:

quote:

Originally posted by joee12:
Guys, I have used the Filtech Honda for years and have recently switched to K&N because of the NTPOG study that claims their filter media was very fuzzy.

Are you sure that "fuzzy" is bad?

No, I don't think that fuzzy is bad after getting those analysis results. A Bosch Premium that I cut open looked lower quality than the Filtech, and was much fuzzier. -Joe

Guys, I have used the Filtech Honda for years and have recently switched to K&N because of the NTPOG study that claims their filter media was very fuzzy. After switching to a K&N, I got my oil analysis results and they were pretty good with the Filtech:http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000278

quote:

Originally posted by joee12:
Guys, I have used the Filtech Honda for years and have recently switched to K&N because of the NTPOG study that claims their filter media was very fuzzy.

Are you sure that "fuzzy" is bad?

considering the price of a 5.49 bosch filter and the media it uses, im quite happy with it. Consider that a fram costs 3 bucks and has the worst filteration of all filters, then you have your pureones, K&Ns, and Mobil 1s that cost above 7 dollars. Plus, how much better is an amsoil filter compared to a bosch if im doing say 5000 and 7500 mi oil changes? Probably not that much better. Until i find a better filter other than the bosch for a better price(no supertechs for me, most seem to be fram up here in walmart), im sticking with bosch.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I like the sound of the Wix filters, but I'm not even sure they are up here. I do know there is a Dana factory here though, and that they make our AC Delco filters there for the CDN market.

are you kidding? if you buy an AC Delco filter it's a Wix, same with the Napa/Verdic, Auto Extra is another...

the red silicone valve is a giveaway of the 'premium' wix... if it's black then it's nitrile but still ok.

Since I have the email addresss of the guy at Dana, and he answered my questions this morning very quickly, I will ask him tomorrow if the AC Delco filters up here are identical to the Wix or not. If they are, I still need to buy Wix filters for my mom's Probe though, since Walmart doesn't stock the AC Delco filter needed for her car (it's a PF2112 I believe)

[ February 04, 2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back