Best Xw-30 Oil for Winter of 2013/2014 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking that for climates where winter temps usually do not get below 10 degF, the best choice is Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 SN:

HTHS= 3.0
VI= 177
MRV= 13,300 (at -35C)
CCS= 4110 (at -30C)

What say you ?

I'd say Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and Havoline Synthetic 5W-30 are among the best off the shelf 5W-30 oils for cold weather... but as far as xW-30s - Have you tried the CATERHAM blend?

What car is this going in? How is it driven?

Lots of oils fit that bill.

I'd choose M1 0w30AFE or GC before PP or Havoline. Caterham blend is a decent option though. I kinda run that in my Accord now that specs for a 20 weight oil.

Hard to beat Synpower 5w30 too. If I wanted to run Valvoline oil, I'd mix 50/50 Synpower 0w20 and their 5w40.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
..........I'd choose ............ GC before PP or Havoline. ........

Why would you want a thick oil like GC for winter use?

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
I'd say Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and Havoline Synthetic 5W-30 are among the best off the shelf 5W-30 oils for cold weather.......

Havoline does not provide a lot of specs for judging its winter performance. No MRV, CCS, or HTHS is listed on the PDS. Just a VI of 170, which is inferior to the 177 of the PP.

I'd say Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and Havoline Synthetic 5W-30 are among the best off the shelf 5W-30 oils for cold weather... but as far as xW-30s - Have you tried the CATERHAM blend?

What the heck is catherham blend lol, how about u put spinach in ur engine to see if you'll have the same benefits that Popeye does.... just get a good name brand synthetic 5w30, you will be totally fine.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
I am thinking that for climates where winter temps usually do not get below 10 degF, the best choice is Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 SN:

HTHS= 3.0
VI= 177
MRV= 13,300 (at -35C)
CCS= 4110 (at -30C)

What say you ?

For the sake of comparison, M1 0W30 AFE SN:

HTHS= 3.0
VI= 166
MRV= 13,250 (at -40C)
CCS= not available

The M1 0W30 is thicker at a 10 degF startup than the PP 5W30. But if I needed to start my car at -20 degF on a frequent basis, I would want the M1 instead of the PP 5W30.

Never seen any oil on the shelves with CATERHAM blend on the label
smile.gif

Unless you see -30 temps a lot during the winter a 5W30 syn oil should be fine if your starting system is up to it . I'm in a warmer climate than you and I like to run 0W20 in the winter or at least 5W20 syn . I've got DOHC engines so I like to get that oil to them ASAP .

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
What the heck is catherham blend lol, how about u put spinach in ur engine to see if you'll have the same benefits that Popeye does.... just get a good name brand synthetic 5w30, you will be totally fine.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
smile.gif

Anti-blenders gonna hate
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: motts
GC has -60 pour point

Pour point is pretty much an irrelevant spec for predicting cold weather performance in an engine. GC also has a HTHS vis of 3.5, and a VI of 166, according to BITOG members. Compared to other 0W30 and 5W30 oils, it is a much thicker oil at cold, winter start ups. Castrol has not published CCS or MRV for GC have they?

I'd say Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and Havoline Synthetic 5W-30 are among the best off the shelf 5W-30 oils for cold weather.......

Havoline does not provide a lot of specs for judging its winter performance. No MRV, CCS, or HTHS is listed on the PDS. Just a VI of 170, which is inferior to the 177 of the PP.

http://pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Originally Posted By: Phishin
..........I'd choose ............ GC before PP or Havoline. ........

Why would you want a thick oil like GC for winter use?

I would because my turbo isn't going to get an oil with an HTHS of lower than 3.5. RC oils are below my comfort zone and no uoa or pds info is going to change that.
55.gif

If this is for the Legacy GT, I wouldn't run it unless you drive it very easy. Then again what's the point of having an LGT if that's the case. It might be fine with 3k mile intervals though.

My winter fill will be Motul X-cess 5W-40. If I feel it's too thick, I'll thin it out a bit after I burn through a quart.

So what's the application?

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: wolf_06

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
smile.gif

Anti-blenders gonna hate
frown.gif

No hate here friend , I simply don't see the point . If it makes you feel good use it !

HTHS= 3.0
VI= 177
MRV= 13,300 (at -35C)
CCS= 4110 (at -30C)

What say you ?

What say me? I have a jug of 5w30 PP
waiting to go in our 09 Saturn vue in a
few months.
grin2.gif

HTHS= 3.0
VI= 177
MRV= 13,300 (at -35C)
CCS= 4110 (at -30C)

What say you ?

I prefer Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 SN

MRV: 9000 (at -35C)
CCS: 4000 (at -30C)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back