Multimeter use on spark plug wires

Status
Not open for further replies.
As to testing them. I have an 8mm coil wire, looks to be in good shape, slightly dirty contacts but I have "Battery cleaner" (the kind that foams up.) I also have a multimeter. I am asking if there is a way to determine if this wire is good by measuring its resistance.

Any normally accepted values for this kind of thing, in Ohms or kOhms or milli-Ohms or ?

We are re-doing the tune-up on the truck.

In ancient times there was an "ohms/foot" spec for wires. You would hook up your DVOM, or an actual analog meter (watch that needle) and flex the wire and look to see if everything was in spec. If I were doing it now, I would just ohm the wire, and compare it to the others and look for something way out of spec. Truth is, ohming a wire isn't the best test in the world, better than nothing, but not a great test.

If one looks hard enough there is still ohms per foot given for most wires, common for racers to "ohm out" their wires... The spiral wound wires will have a very low resistance vs the carbon types...

Factory service manual (the ones that dealer techs use) should have the minimum accepted value for resistance of the wire. My old Integra's did.

You might need a "megger" eg mega-ohm meter. Your average radio shack $20 model might not do it.

Many OEM resistance spark plug wires using carbon conductors have around 5,000 to 15,000 ohms of resistance per foot, very much within the measuring capabilities of a common analog VOM or a DVM.

Specialty racing wires with high copper content or special construction will have much lower resistance.

MSD says this:

Quote:
Heli-Core Wires (Blue):
150 - 1,200 ohms per foot

8.5mm Super Conductor (Red):
40 - 50 ohms per foot

If you do not know the specification for your wires, measure the resistance of each wire. Remember to divide the length of the wire by 12 to get a "per foot" measurement. If one wire is out of that average spec, it is at fault

Solid Core Wires: You cannot run Solid Core Spark Plug Wires with an MSD Ignition Control. Solid Core wires do not suppress any Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) which will interfere with electronics or rev limiters on your vehicle. A suppression style or spiral wound spark plug wire MUST be used.

Some guy on LS1 says he tested various wires:

Quote:
So here's my test. All wires were tested at least 3 times to be sure I have accurate numbers here. Remember, they were all 12.5 inches long. I tested next to a radio but did not pick up any static from any of these wires.

stock LS1 6 in. - 351 ohms

Granatelli 8mm Steel Solid Core Cable - 0.1 ohms
MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor - 71.6 ohms
Accel 8.8 300+ Ferro-Spiral Race Wire - 166.1 ohms
Jacobs Electronics EnergyCore 8.5mm - 178.3 oms
Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Silicone - 301 ohms
Mallory Pro Sidewinder 8mm Silicone Suppression Wire - 313 ohms
Moroso Blue Maz Spiral Core 8mm - 661 ohms
Magnecor KV85 Competiton 2.5mm - 2053 ohms

Last edited:
ohming them ensures they are conducting and not arcing inside. obviously the long wires will have more resistance, and this is ok.

It will not catch early breakdown in the insulating jacket, where a wire may be arcing to ground and causing a misfire.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Factory service manual (the ones that dealer techs use) should have the minimum accepted value for resistance of the wire. My old Integra's did.

This.

I know I've seen this spec in my FSMs.

Originally Posted By: meep

It will not catch early breakdown in the insulating jacket, where a wire may be arcing to ground and causing a misfire.

Bingo, "Any good" means that they are conductive where they should be and don't arc through the insulation to ground. Both will cause misfire. To test the insulation properties, you would need a Hi-pot / dielectric tester capable of at least 20 Kv and a ground rod to sweep the exterior looking for flashover. probably not worth the hassle. Probably easier to check them out for arcing at night.

Last edited:
^^^ I just misted water onto all electricals at night in the dark and I saw NO light show, AT ALL! This is desired result, yes?

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
^^^ I just misted water onto all electricals at night in the dark and I saw NO light show, AT ALL! This is desired result, yes?

You know, we had $100k+ of electrical/ignition/computer testers in the shop, and a spray bottle was still the fastest/easiest way to find a bad wire.

That is the redneck way. It tests the wires insulation. Honeslty when I check them I do them all and if one has a resistance way higher than the rest I get all new. As long as they are fairly even accross the board theyre ok.

Originally Posted By: ram_man

That is the redneck way. It tests the wires insulation. Honeslty when I check them I do them all and if one has a resistance way higher than the rest I get all new. As long as they are fairly even accross the board theyre ok.

Sometimes the simplest test is the best.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Just run fingers along the wires while its running
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: hsd
Originally Posted By: dishdude

Just run fingers along the wires while its running
cry.gif

"[censored] yea it's getting fire out of there!"
crackmeup2.gif

^^ I remember this when testing for spark jumping to metal on another car. When diagnosing for spark, guy put his finger on wire, said "Crank it...."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back