Ford E-350 Rear Axle = Lifetime Fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a Class B motorhome on a 2001 Ford E-350 dual rear wheel cutaway chassis with 10,700 lb GVWR and just over 30K miles. Naturally I checked all fluids but the rear axle is supposed to be a lifetime fill according to the manual with 75W140 synthetic hypoid gear oil.

This Motorcraft fluid is over $200 / gal at my Ford dealer!
Motorcraft 75W140 synthetic hypoid gear lube
Not sure if it's a Dana axle. There are no tags and the only stamped codes I can find are: 4.10 VIC24 NA V606605 1

Common sense tells me no rear axle fluid can last indefinitely owing to contamination by metal wear debris and exhaustion of the additive package. I searched this forum but couldn't find any endorsement of the "lifetime fill" recommendation. Am I worrying needlessly?

Oh, if I must change the axle fluid it will be a real pain as there is no drain plug and the rear cover almost butts up against the waste water holding tank.

Cheers,

RR

If you want to change it, isn't there a fill hole you can suck it out of? Some kind of magnet setup will get metal out, and maybe for later, a magnet stuck to the outside of the housing.

Valvoline Synthetic 75W140 would be a good choice for drain and refill. What if its jacked up? Would rear end housing drop far enough to pop cover off?

Ford typically wants you to take out all of the cover bolts and then the cover to get the fluid out. Then, using sealant, put back the cover and all the bolts and then fill with the recommended fluid.

My F-350 is also supposed to be a lifetime fill. I figured 100K was long enough and changed it out with Valvoline Synpower 75W-140.

Obviously, not the same axle, but my FX4 had the same wording in my OM using the same fluid. I would change it as my first OC had quite a bit of metals in it.

I refilled mine the first time with the Ford fluid, but the second OC was with Amsoil. I believe that any synthetic meeting the specification would perform just as well as the Ford fluid.

Here is a VOA of the Amsoil fluid.

Here are the two UOAs I did of the OCs that I did on my FX4.

I'd change it there are any number of good full syn 75w140 gear oils out there.

Everytime I've changed one it has alot of sludge first change.. then seems quite abit better after that.

Last edited:
I changed my factory fill out at around 20,000 miles with Mokakule's most excellent 75W-90 full synthetic, I don't tow and live in NJ, temperate climate overall. Unfortunately the rear diff starting leaking after a few years and I had it replaced at the Ford dealer with Motorcraft 75W-140 gear oil. This being the third fill it will be the last fill this truck sees, unless it leaks out. The truck will rust totally long before before it needs to be changed again.

Whimsey

Lifetime = as long as the warranty lasts.

I would change it too, but never changing it should last some time since they use a quality fluid from the start.

I am planning on changing the diff and manual gearbox fluid on the Mustang at it's first oil change. Already have the Amsoil gear oil and synchromesh fluid on the way.

Thanks for the input - my instinct is to replace the original axle fluid by 60K, tops. I got some Red Line 75W140 GL-5 gear oil in anticipation of the refill.

Can't fit a suction tube all the way to the bottom of the differential housing through the fill plug so I'll have to pull the cover. Jacking up the chassis for more clearance is a good idea. Unfortunately motor homes do not have much working space underneath.

Indeed, lifetime fill must equate to warranty period as the rest of the drivetrain should go 300K with proper maintenance and I can't imagine any rear axle would survive that long on the original oil.

30k is nothing, I'd run it to at least 100k before changing it. For an RV that's probably lifetime.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Lifetime = as long as the warranty lasts.

I would change it too, but never changing it should last some time since they use a quality fluid from the start.

+1

I find that changing gear oil prevents problems at 100K, even if the manual says not to change the stuff.

You don't need Motorcraft 75w140. Any 75w140 synthetic do the job, Valvoline and M1 easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back