Group III, PAO and GTL (Group III+) base oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks.

Quote:
GTL base oils have the highest VI
and lowest volatility of all paraffinic base oils.

Quote:
High purity, very low aromatics and olefin content contribute to exceptional oxidation stability for GTL base oils that outperforms PAO.

Quote:
Finished lubricant manufacturers and OEMs are already exploring ways to best the advantages and unique properties of these base oils. To facilitate this interest, Chevron has commissioned an industry-leading “semi-works” GTL base oil production facility at its technology center in Richmond, California, and Sasol is providing waxy feed from its GTL plant in Sasolburg, South Africa. The waxy feed is being processed in the semi-works plant using ISODEWAXING technology to produce large representative quantities of GTL base oils. These samples are being used for early stage development work by lubricant formulators and additive companies.

Quote:
The figure shows that GTL and PAO are the only base oils which can be used to make 0W-XX engine oils at the MB 229.5 quality level.

Quote:
shows that the benefits of GTL base oil goes beyond the crankcase. GTL offers improved energy efficiency over PAO synthetic base oils due to a lower traction coefficient, which translates to less force required to move a load and less horsepower to do the work. A low-traction synthetic fluid can result in greater energy efficiency (up to 8% for high-reduction worm gears) compared to mineral-based fluids.

Quote:
GTL offers improved energy efficiency over PAO synthetic base oils due to a lower traction coefficient,

That can also be a bad thing since it won't cling well.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
GTL offers improved energy efficiency over PAO synthetic base oils due to a lower traction coefficient,

That can also be a bad thing since it won't cling well.
Same is said about pao's

What does an 8% improvement mean "low traction" in real world difference. I wonder about improvement numbers because what is the loss in the first place?

Indeed, a low traction coefficient is a curse and a blessing. Great for fuel economy (high efficiency) but generally not great for film thicknesses. When going to a lower traction coefficient base oil, it seems to me that its viscosity may have to be increased to achieve the same wear protection. The highest traction coefficient fluid in the link below gave the best wear protection in the test. PAO had the lowest traction coefficient but it broke the trend and provided better wear protection than the diester fluid. We usually can't have our cake and eat it too.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=661&relatedbookgroup=Lubrication

Still, GTL fluids are welcome in my book. The formulators know all about every base oil's strengths and weaknesses. GTL will be another tool in the toolbox.

Originally Posted By: JAG

Still, GTL fluids are welcome in my book. The formulators know all about every base oil's strengths and weaknesses. GTL will be another tool in the toolbox.

Agreed. Should be great for motor oils and ATFs. Not sure for manual trans and gears though...
21.gif

Not to worry, we'll have the proper surfactants to make sure the fluids cover the surfaces, and to modify the traction coefficients.

The oil is better cause it is low traction which is great for the 8% improvement but to make it work there are additives to reduce the 8% back to normal? what a world.

Hello,
Links are not working anymore. Does anybody has a link to acces the paper?
I didn't found it on google with the title "Lubricant From Gas to Liquids (GTL) Base Oils"
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back