Is there a snake oil that'll really remove carbon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there really a snake oil I can pour into the gas tank that will clean carbon deposits from the combustion chamber and piston crown? Or do I have to get into some kind of heavy back to back (expensive) Techron regimen to get it done?
I don't like the "nuclear option" like some of the Seafoam videos I've seen. Seems like a good way to plug the catalytic converter.
Heck, If I could temporarily remove the converter with no ill effects like the old days, then I would "go nuclear" on it with a simple water treatment. I used to do it all the time with dramatic (good) results in old Hondas and Mustangs. Just a massive dose of tap water into the throttle body while revving the engine to 3000 RPM would do the trick. About 2-4 liters from an old coke bottle within just a few minutes. Steam and soot pouring out the back. But the car I'm wanting to fix (stop it from pinging) is only 2 years old and under warranty. Its a 2012 Hyundai Accent.
I just want to pour something into the tank that will dissolve/burn/break away the carbon buildup in the combustion space.
Does such a snake oil exist?
And before you say it, the dealer will look at me real stupid, try to make the problem out to be my fault, and then have a minion mechanic "go through the motions" and then tell me that "Its normal for the car to make a 'death rattling' noise."
I need help figuring out this one guys.
HELP!

Last edited:
It's not that expensive, but I've had good results with Gumout Regane High Mileage. It's about $5/bottle at my Walmart. It not only fixes pings, but it's so good at removing carbon, that it helps keep my plugs from fouling in my 1990 K1500.

I'd buy two or three bottles. It's only $10-$15.

If you just buy 2 bottles, put them in at the same time. Fill your tank with gas. Drive normal. Short trips are fine (even preferred). Letting the Regane wet the combustion area, and sit for awhile, and restart is great. That's why I say short trips are preferred. Drive until you reach a half tank of fuel. Refill your tank. Drive until you reach another half tank, refill with fuel. Drive until empty.

It's always worked well for me.

My theory is with this method is you drive a half tank at 2X concentration, and then a half tank at 1X concentration, and then a full tank at 0.5X concentration.

If you buy a third bottle.....I add the third bottle the before I refill the first half tank....so you basically run a full tank of fuel for 2X, than a half at 1X, and then a full tank at 0.5X.

I have a friend that swears by RxP for decarbonizing combustion chambers. Personally I think it -might- be snake oil, but it might be worth a shot. I've had good luck alternating Regane and Techron on back-to-back tanks.

Originally Posted By: Brent_G
Have you tried an Italian tuneup? Some time with your foot on the floor can do wonders for carbon removal.

Proven to be effective and really fun!

99 Durango with a 360. Always pinged on regular fuel in higher temperatures or with A/C on. I started adding MMO to the gas two years ago. Took a couple of months but it hasn't pinged once since.
I'm crediting the MMO cleaning the carbon off.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Water.

+1 It works like a champ, via a vacuum line. Just use hot water, and care not to hydro-lock the engine.

Techron or other PEA based cleaners are designed to remove carbon deposits inside the cylinder. Dealers do use Techron, I would not consider it a snake oil. Will it be an instant fix, probably not.

How do you know you have carbon deposits. Inspection camera?

I don't know about Hyundai, but GM, Chrysler and I think Ford all have a aerosol combustion chamber cleaner. If the dealer has something similar they should do a treatment under warranty. There could even be updated programming for it.

Our fleet trucks used to regularly develop 'carbon knock'. Sounds a lot like piston slap, but a little louder and doesn't go away quickly from a cold start.

Kreen in the fuel cured it in minutes, period. Great product for carbon, IMO.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Water.

+1 It works like a champ, via a vacuum line. Just use hot water, and care not to hydro-lock the engine.

Also make sure it is hot engine, yes?

I did the water thing on truck today and it took way more water than I thought it would. It runs a little bit better now.

Now, watch, if I were to Seafoam it, would be next to no smoke.....

32.gif

I've always wondered if using something like a Hudson garden sprayer filled with hot water and misted/shot into the throttle body would work?

It looks like it would be kinda hard to pour water into a horizontally mounted throttle body.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
32.gif

I've always wondered if using something like a Hudson garden sprayer filled with hot water and misted/shot into the throttle body would work?

It looks like it would be kinda hard to pour water into a horizontally mounted throttle body.

That might work, or an old Windex bottle filled with hot water.

Originally Posted By: Brent_G
Have you tried an Italian tuneup? Some time with your foot on the floor can do wonders for carbon removal.

You're right but that was before computer controlled engines. I guess if everything isn't working right with the computer it would still work with the new cars.

BG44K. I have heard it works real well. It should because it's expensive. I, personly have used it a few time and never noticed a big difference but my car has never had a pinging problem and it's always been squeaky clean inside due to the use of top quality gas all it's life and top quality engine oils.

An engine that has been neglected may notice a huge improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back