Stupertech 2808

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering, is the ST2808 a suitable substitute for the 6607? the '07 looks about an inch bigger than my Lawn tractors Tehcumseh filter, whilst the 2808 looks more like what was originally installed on my car. However the 'book' at Wally World states to use the 6607. And it seems I have read on here somewhere that they were the same, only the 2808 is bigger version?
dunno.gif

Hi, Tim! I just bought a new Hyundai Sonata V-6. I went to my local WallyWorld and looked up the "proper" SuperTech filter for my car's engine. 6607. Looked at it. Not impressed. I noticed the letter "Y" on the filter base plate, and remembered that the 2808s I used to use on my 96 Honda Accord had that same designation. Compared a 6607 to the 2808 and quickly concluded that the gasket was the same diameter and the threaded return port was (probably) the same. I changed oil and filter at 600 miles with a 2808. fit perfectly. 6607? Not on my car! (Not even sure I'd trust it to my granddaughter's tricycle!) The 2808 is much closer in size to the factory Hyundai filter, but I like WallyWorld's $1.97 price much better than the dealer's $8.07 price. If I'm not mistaken, the SuperTech filters appear to be house-branded Lee product since Lee's a division of Champion Laboratories, and that company apparently ran the filtration efficiency tests so prominently displayed on the cartons. Can anyone confirm my suspicions?

Ray Haeffele

I just went to Wal-Mart this morning and found a larger filter for my '89 Civic Si. In the reference guide it is the ST2808, but I found the ST3950 and bought one. ST3950 is the same filter size as Mobil1 M1-105, K&N KN-1005 and Bosch 3320.

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
I would be interested in knowing the pressure differentials on both the ST 2808 and the ST 6607

The Boob at Wally-World didn't make a mistake. It's in the book--and the computer thingy at the filter section. It shows (for the 2002 elantra/Sonata/Santa Fe ) a ST 6607 and a FRAM 6607 also. this is why I made the post to begin with. I don't know if WW just made a mistake when they made the application list or what, but when I pulled that 6607 out of the box to look at it I nearly fell over from laughing at the 'Barbie' oil filter that was expected to go onmy car!!
freak2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
If I'm not mistaken, the SuperTech filters appear to be house-branded Lee product since Lee's a division of Champion Laboratories, and that company apparently ran the filtration efficiency tests so prominently displayed on the cartons. Can anyone confirm my suspicions?

Actually, much has been written on this forum about SuperTech filters. They are indeed made by Champion Labs. Lee is just another name that Champion makes. "Champ" filters are actually Champion's "own brand." Champion also makes the Mobil 1, STP, S&K, and Bosch Premium oil filters. It's pretty much the consensus on here that SuperTech filters are the all-around best bargain in oil filters. You can't beat Champion quality and construction, and at $1.97 it's a steal.

The Super Tech catalog calls for the ST2808 on the 2001 Hyundai Elantra.
The ST6607 could be used as a smaller alternate, however the correct filter
which we recommend is the ST2808.

The only air filter we have available for this application is the Champ
AF7999. For the nearest Champ distributor in your area, please contact our
Customer Service at (800) 851-3641.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us at any time.
Thank you.

Chad Garrett
Technical Service
Representative
Champion Laboratories, Inc.

Interestingly enough Fram's size for the Elantra is the 6607. Some boob at Wal-Mart read the Fram column and substituted it, noting that the 2808 was the wrong application. Now when I get the ST oil change, I hang a large sign on the steering wheel stating ST 2808 filter only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back