VW to phase out N/A engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMW has already done that (at least in the US), and natural aspiration used to be an extremely important part of what made them special.

I think NA engines will be like manual transmissions: they will continue to exist, but in very low numbers and only in certain market niches.

Having worked on too many 1.8T engines, this scares me.

I hope they push forward innovation so all companies work on making turbo gas engines bulletproof reliable.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly

I hope they push forward innovation so all companies work on making turbo gas engines bulletproof reliable.

The 2.0TFSI has proven that they're very capable when it comes to reliable turbo'd motors.

This is the same silly company who put a benched for a generation motor back into base model Jetta's. They actually put a 2.0L 8V motor into the base model Jetta right now. The same engine tweaked slightly from 1994 model Jetta.

If they can figure out how to make it not premium recommended or required like all the other turbo offerings from VW it may be a decent offering.

I dropped my VW off at the dealer this morning for something stupid I did. The dealer gave me a ride home. I asked the shuttle driver if the car was a TDI and he said it's a new 2014 with the 1.8T that replaced the 5 cylinder. The car had some growl and seemed to make it's torque at low RPM's like a diesel.
I think it uses 87 octane and a different fuel system to eliminate intake valve deposits.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: DemoFly

The 2.0TFSI has proven that they're very capable when it comes to reliable turbo'd motors.

Maybe from 2012 forward but my VW diehard budies are having terrible issue with the fuel injection system on their 2010 and 2011 models. Issues also persist with the TDI fuel-rail system. Not sure if these are factory design or assembly caused though.

Last edited:
According to my sources there may be some issues with the older generation despite what is said. But I feel certain that VW has addressed the common issues and refined the engines accordingly.

Seems that many mfgrs have had some teething pains with DI, many have figured it out. It's not the turbo that means trouble...

Originally Posted By: NateDN10

Do you think that in the future naturally aspirated gasoline engines will be as rare as naturally aspirated diesels are today?

I don't think so. When you have a system like Toyota's HSD charging won't give you sufficient or any benefits, it just increases costs and adds complexity. VW's small gasoline turbos have gained some bad reputation in Europe due low reliability and high maintenance costs.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
According to my sources there may be some issues with the older generation despite what is said. But I feel certain that VW has addressed the common issues and refined the engines accordingly.

It seems we've been hearing that about VWs for, uh, quite a few decades now.

Actually. The old cast iron 1.8 multipoint 1.8 turbo (AGU) was a lot better engine then the tsi and tfsi engines of today.

With the increasing use of direct injection for gasoline engines, the gasoline and diesel cycles are going to eventually blend into a multi-fuel capable engine architecture (which was something that was hoped for way back in the 70s, but the technology just wasn't there). Even before that happens, the severe limitations of forced induction for spark-ignited engines start to go away and turbocharging can be much more useful for them than with the sub-20 lbs boost and premium fuel with aggressive spark retard under boost that older turbo gasoline engines were subject to.

So yes- I figure N/A engines will disappear just before fossil fuels disappear altogether :p

Originally Posted By: shDK
Actually. The old cast iron 1.8 multipoint 1.8 turbo (AGU) was a lot better engine then the tsi and tfsi engines of today.

Years? Vehicles?

Good luck to them. While that's the way the market's heading, I hope that they can do it reliably. VW and reliable are still antonyms in my dictionary. Let's hope they change that.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
VW and reliable are still antonyms in my dictionary.

Always have been... probably always will be.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
BMW has already done that (at least in the US), and natural aspiration used to be an extremely important part of what made them special.

False, the 128i is still an NA 3.0 I6. For MY13, the M3 was of course NA as well (production now done).

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: sciphi
VW and reliable are still antonyms in my dictionary.

Always have been... probably always will be.

Same around here. All anecdotal, but not a good name to our family!

Regardless, I hope folks here know that despite the recent spate of mediocre reviews BMW is one of the very few Mfgrs to produce a turbocharged engine with genuine throttle responsiveness like a sweet N/A motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back