Pics of Purolator Cardboard Endcaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an FYI

This is a pic of a Purolator Premimum Plus L10111 oil filter. It is the equivalent to an AC PF-47. Note the cardboard endcaps and string wrapped around the filter media. I'm not saying this is a bad filter but I prefer a filter with metal endcaps after hearing of engine failures due to the cardboard endcaps on Fram filters.

-

The string doesn't bother me at all.
grin.gif
Those cardboard endcraps are another story.
mad.gif
There's a Pure One on my car now, then I have 4 Wix & one K-Mart Penske(made by wix)to use before I need to buy any more filters. If I should run 9,000 miles or more per oil change(the present plan), those should last quite a while. When I do buy new filters, they won't be white Purolators.
frown.gif

Whoa...now Purolater is jumping on the bandwagon...

Pretty soon, the shell of the filter (along with the by-pass valve) will be made of cardboard.....

crushedcar.gif
thumbsdown.gif

freak2.gif

They've been doing it for a while too.
frown.gif
I found cardboard endcaps in one I cut open two years ago. It was in my '00 silverado 5.3L-took it off and opened it up after having a really bad startup noise.

[ January 10, 2003, 01:46 AM: Message edited by: RobZ71LM7 ]

I wish I had known this when I was using these filters before. I never would've bothered with them at all. I've got one on my sister's car now, but next oil change I'll start using the AC Delco for her.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
The PureOne is the Purolator you want.

We need someone to cut one of them open too just to be sure. I'm running the PureONE on my mom's 94 Probe GT. I would've used the K&N but Canadian Tire doesn't sell them for her car. It's hard to find an oil filter for my mom's Probe actually, the choices are very limited up here. And Ford wants $15 for the OEM ones! (PureONE was $11)

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

We need someone to cut one of them open too just to be sure. I'm running the PureONE on my mom's 94 Probe GT. I would've used the K&N but Canadian Tire doesn't sell them for her car. It's hard to find an oil filter for my mom's Probe actually, the choices are very limited up here. And Ford wants $15 for the OEM ones! (PureONE was $11)

shocked.gif
Ouch on the Ford filters. WalMart here has a good selection on Motocraft models for $2.77.

I'll cut apart my PureOne when I do my next change if someone else hasn't done it already. I'll also do a Motorcraft filter since it's supposedly made by Purolator...

[ January 10, 2003, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

Patman, is that an odd ball # Motorcraft filter for your mom's car. Even with the exchange rate that seems high. Heck, even at local Ford dealer I'm paying US $4.95 for the sizes I need.

Whimsey

Here's a pic of toyota, purolator, motorcraft, mobil, fram and bosch.

-

-

Now here is a pic of a fram with the cardboard end caps with a little over 7,000 miles of use. Notice there is no evidence of deterioration of these cardboad endcaps. Also notice they do use a metal cage to support the inside of this filter to keep the media from crushing inward due to pressure surges. Also, upon inspection, I've noticed that the use of the end caps are that the glue used to hold the media in place so it doesn't shift around, and that the amount of glue used actually supports the endcap as it covers most of the backside of the cardboard. So in effect, you'd have to melt down the glue to destroy that cardboard end. I come to the conclusion that the life expectancy of the fram is somewhere around 7k miles and noticed the engine tapping slightly at that mileage, I then changed it, and it went back to normal.

-

Even if there were no problems with the cardboard in your filters Bob, on priniciple alone I would never run a filter with these in there. Why? Because obviously if 99% of the filter makers use metal, then they know something we don't. I know it's hearsay, but I've heard of quite a few Fram filters falling apart, and their cardboard endcaps breaking apart. No thanks, I want to be 100% sure of the construction of my filters when I am going to be leaving them in for so long.

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
Patman, is that an odd ball # Motorcraft filter for your mom's car. Even with the exchange rate that seems high. Heck, even at local Ford dealer I'm paying US $4.95 for the sizes I need.

Whimsey

It shouldn't be that oddball of a filter, as the Probe GTs are quite common cars, so you'd think they'd sell a lot of these filters. Or perhaps most Probe owners in Ontario simply use Fram, so the dealer jacks up the price on OEM to make more money?

Well, understand, I'm not standing up for them but... IMO, we don't know the conditions in which those that did fail, where under. I have myself seen where an amsoil filter failed, it, is constructed well, so does that mean it's a bad design?. Did the frams that did fail, have underlying situations that caused this failure? maybe, maybe those were older designed filters, and now maybe there is some basic minor differences from before?, Purolator, cardboard endcaps? Maybe, like many oil companies that are now mixing blends of mineral and pao to make full synths, some oil filter companies will start using these cardboard end's on more filters because maybe theres more evidence of them actually working than not and this surely would be one way to cut the expense of the manufacturing process to up the profits of the company as well. You can't say fram is the new kid on the block nor that they have no experience so I don't think at this time will I dismiss this as shody just yet. Like many things, many people have heard of the construction of these filters and such, but I haven't heard or seen actual evidence to show where there is a consistant problem with this material used which people call cardboard which IMO, appears not to be such but some other type of paper material which if you think about it, what is most filter media's consist of or had consist of? Maybe paper of sorts?

quote:

quote:

We need someone to cut one of them open too just to be sure. ...

Do you mean to see if the caps are cardboard? They're metal. I have 4 apart (2x14670, 40017, 30001) in my garage... uh... archive.
rolleyes.gif
Other than size they're all the same with metal endcaps.

Some of the PremiumPlus filters have metal caps also, so it seems there's no way to be sure on their budget line without opening them up. They may change construction by model or over time. Who knows?

David

That's exactly it! Even IF they do work, the point is there are filters out there for the same price or even cheaper than Fram that use metal endcaps, so why take a chance? No filter with cardboard endcaps will ever go on any car I own.

I bet you could most likely figure out if it uses cardboard or metal by the weight of the filter.

My Fram for the 5.0 was ultra light compared to the Penske/Wix, Motorcraft, AC Delco, and SuperTech.

quote:

Even if there were no problems with the cardboard in your filters Bob, on priniciple alone I would never run a filter with these in there. Why? Because obviously if 99% of the filter makers use metal, then they know something we don't. I know it's hearsay, but I've heard of quite a few Fram filters falling apart, and their cardboard endcaps breaking apart. No thanks, I want to be 100% sure of the construction of my filters when I am going to be leaving them in for so long.

No thanks on using cardboard in the oil stream. Other than being the cheapest way to make those caps and have them work for a while, there's no advantage to it.

Interesting in Bob's pics above the Bosch has the least pleats. That surprises me...

quote:

Patman,

Even if they don't fall apart, it seems to me the chances are pretty darn good that cardboard is going to distort over time with heat and pressure, thereby ending the seal between the drainback valve/gasket. Once that happens the filter is in effect in bypass mode.

I used to use Fram filters. But 20 years ago when that Baldwin salesman clued me in on their quality and I cut one open myself to see, I've never used another one. And I never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back