2013 Accord V6 - no atf dipstick ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appears there's no such thing as a dipstick for atf on the 2013 Accord V6 with auto transmission. Some kind of a "sealed" transmission thing. What I am curious about is when the atf is changed how do you make sure its filled again to the right level ?

Last edited:
My car shipped the same way in August 05. Sealed is code for service at stealership only!

In our world there is a careful relation between a level and a temperature, you must know the fluid temp to guide you. But you use a Miller tool which is nothing but a precisely marked dipstick!!!

I had Cavalier/Sunbirds with sealed trans and you simply filled them up until it ran out a sight hole in the side.

On many of them, you fill the unit until you can fill no more (until it starts spilling over). Has to be done at the correct temperature, as Steve noted.

Correct temp and level... which means the front in the air on ramps or jackstands is a no-no.
frown.gif

Unfortunately something we'll have to get used to with new cars, seems most are going that route. I love that both the Civic and Corolla we own have ATF dipsticks and drain plugs.

Just because you don't have a dipstick doesn't mean it's impossible to change the ATF! For example, Toyota's so-called "sealed" transmissions still have a drain plug and a dipstick tube.

As far as how much to put in, it usually lists the capacity in the owners manual and/or service manual somewhere. Just use the stated amount. Many Honda transmissions call for 2.9 qt, so I just pour in 3.

The manual transmission in my 2006 Scion tC 5 speed could be considered a "sealed transmission" since there is no dipstick. Does that mean the tranny can't be serviced at home with ease?

There's gotta be drain n fill plugs somewhere.

I am sorry my bad it does have a dipstick for ATF. The manual is culprit. It just says take it to the dealer for ATF service and the engine bay diagram only shows the engine oil dipstick. My guess is that's because of the location of the dipstick, an unsuspecting user can easily burn their hand trying to get it in and out.

Originally Posted By: Artem
The manual transmission in my 2006 Scion tC 5 speed could be considered a "sealed transmission" since there is no dipstick. Does that mean the tranny can't be serviced at home with ease?

I don't think there are many manual transmissions with dipsticks, just the drain and fill plugs.

Honda's are tricky to find....pretty well hidden. You will also need an assortment of funnels to fill it up.

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
I am sorry my bad it does have a dipstick for ATF.

I'm relieved to read this. I've been pleased that Honda seems to be one of the few holdouts these days on still empowering the owner do his or her own maintenance. I was very disappointed to read that they no longer have a transmission dipstick, but relieved to read that they in fact still do.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Artem

I don't think there are many manual transmissions with dipsticks, just the drain and fill plugs.

Exactly my point
33.gif
They are technically ALL SEALED transmissions.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back