replacing ac system

Status
Not open for further replies.
A deer horn went through my condensor fan and condensor, don't ask.Gonna get the insurance company to take care of that aspect, but my compressor wad already out do to an overcharge.What all should I order and replace myself before bringing it to the shop for them to replace the condensor and fan. What needs to be replaced because of the hole in the condensor, and what should I replace on my own dime?Appreciate any help.Thanks

If the compressor is locked up you need to flush the system replace the orifice tube or expansion valve, accumulator or receiver drier. Make sure to add the right amount and proper type of oil.
If its not locked up just replace the compressor and add the proper amount of oil for the compressor and condenser

Need to replace the whole system; compressor, condensor, drier, orifice tube, flush lines, vac, charge.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Need to replace the whole system; compressor, condensor, drier, orifice tube, flush lines, vac, charge.

This.

Have the shop deal with the oil and freon. Maybe add leak detector from the start. Replace any o-rings that can be gotten to easily.

How did the system get an overcharge? If a shop did it, do not go back there. The shop should fill it by weight.

The previous owner in another state filled to Max pressure according to this [censored] DIY guages. The problem...it was the coldest day in like ten years in Mississippi.

Soon as the temps warmed the compressor croaked.

Still no leaks though. Was holding MASSIVE pressure for over a year, and still is holding the correct amount.

Or was, don't know what all is now broken.

So the consensus is replace everything.

Well the only other thing is, what to make the insurance company pay for and what should I buy?

Without question they are buying the damaged condenser and fan. What else.. don't want them to pay for anything that a horn through the condenser wouldn't damage.

Obviously I want to pay for the compressor, blower. Ill install everything and have the shop do the oil flush and refill?

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
The previous owner in another state filled to Max pressure according to this [censored] DIY guages. The problem...it was the coldest day in like ten years in Mississippi.

Soon as the temps warmed the compressor croaked.

Still no leaks though. Was holding MASSIVE pressure for over a year, and still is holding the correct amount.

Or was, don't know what all is now broken.

So the consensus is replace everything.

Well the only other thing is, what to make the insurance company pay for and what should I buy?

Without question they are buying the damaged condenser and fan. What else.. don't want them to pay for anything that a horn through the condenser wouldn't damage.

Obviously I want to pay for the compressor, blower. Ill install everything and have the shop do the oil flush and refill?

Do the math. Insurance would pay for the condenser and fan, as they were damaged in the accident. Even though the condenser would of had to be replace anyway if the compressor was bad.

You pay for everything else.
crazy.gif

So literally everything is on the way...

Can I disconnect all the lines, blow them out with 120psi of air, reconnect everything, bring to a shop for flush and fill?

What about the oil?

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
So literally everything is on the way...

Can I disconnect all the lines, blow them out with 120psi of air, reconnect everything, bring to a shop for flush and fill?

What about the oil?

The service manual will tell you how much refrigerant oil to put in each AC component. Also see what viscosity of refrigerant oil is correct. Sometimes replacement compressors already have refrigerant oil inside of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back