Many Owners, Would you Worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. Lots of military members in Hawaii. When they change station the vehicle gets sold. Happens every few years. This may not be the reason, but it is a possibility.

If you're just looking at carfaxes sometimes titles are generated when someone gets married, moves out of their paretns house, pays off a loan, etc. This could be misinterpreted as multiple owners.

2 trade ins would make 5 owners, so it was sold once privately too? It's probably fine, just change the trans and dif fluids and perhaps the coolant as they may never have been done.

Originally Posted By: bobbob
I am looking at an '06 Miata that spent its life on Hawaii with 6 owners, does that raise a red flag? Thanks guys

It would raise a flag from a maintenance perspective. People typically neglect maintenance when they know they'll be selling a car soon and things slip through cracks. But if the car has all maintenance records, then I'd be OK with it.

I just bought a car with 8 owners. After doing a little research it was in one family the whole time and somehow the title was transferred between family members in one house holed.

most miata driver are careful fun loving older folks where in MI, so I would say look at the vehicle carefully. inspect all the fluids.

Which island? Even on the Big Island, its hard to get any true 'highway' mileage on a car. Not much space on Oahu and the freeways are pretty congested. The Big Island has mostly 2-lane roads outside the towns with low speed limits, and in the towns lots of stops. I'd be more worried about that kind of driving cycle. All miles are pretty much 'city' miles compared to a mainland car.

Body-wise, I'd look for rust. Its a salt-air environment, but not as bad as you might think because it rains a lot in most areas.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you're just looking at carfaxes sometimes titles are generated when someone gets married, moves out of their paretns house, pays off a loan, etc. This could be misinterpreted as multiple owners.

Good point, and definitely could be the case.

Some people buy a fun car to drive occasionally when their financial situation is good, and then when a financial problem happens, the car is the first thing they sell. Usually they treat that car like a treasure. Other times as people get older, they have difficulty getting in and out of a sports car, and stiff suspensions make their backs hurt. My father encountered numerous co-workers in their 50s who encountered this situation, although they usually got a Corvette, not a Miata. Again, those cars are treated like a treasure while the people are still able to drive them.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Great advice. A friend of mine bought a Saturn that had 4 title "incidents" in one year and we were not sure why, but it could be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back