Wheel bearing life expectancy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last wheel bearing failure I had (we won't count the bad ones in the cars I've restored) was in 1968 on a C20 at less than 5000 miles. Turns out 2 others of the 9 trucks we had gotten had already experienced this, one causing an accident. After mine, the other 6 were inspected and found loose from the factory.

Don't re-use the seal...it is the weak link in the bearing system. Carefully clean in inspect the bearings...replace if needed, repack if they are good...but DO NOT re-use the seal. You are asking for shorter service life if the seal is used again.

The metal components of the bearing should last the life of the vehicle. As DriveHard said, when it comes to life of a bearing, the seal is the weakest link. It's a wear item. Once the seal integrity is breached - either through wear or nicking the seal - the game is over. Water and dirt get in, which seriously compromises the lube, and can destroy the bearing in short order.

Another big important reason for bearing failure is improper maintenance. There are so many things that can go wrong during bearing service, including improper preload (axial clearance), nicked seal, wobbly seal, and dirt ingress into the cavity. I sometimes cringe when people talk about maintaining their bearings, because if the job is anything less than perfect the bearing will fail in short order.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If you know the awesome trick to pulling the seal without a tool, you can reuse the seal no problems.

Do you mean by leaving the castellated nut on the spindle and pulling the rotor against it to use the nut to pop the seal out? I learned that back in high school when I worked at a full service station. We usually replaced the seal, though because it was just so cheap compared to having a comeback.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If you know the awesome trick to pulling the seal without a tool, you can reuse the seal no problems.

Do you mean by leaving the castellated nut on the spindle and pulling the rotor against it to use the nut to pop the seal out? I learned that back in high school when I worked at a full service station. We usually replaced the seal, though because it was just so cheap compared to having a comeback.

Ya that is it. I am amazed how many techs we get in that went to UTI or WyoTech that had never heard of it.

When I was in auto school they taught us that especially for older cars where getting seals could be a challenge sometimes. That and it was faster than dealing with a seal puller.

I agree though, always replace the seal, they are really cheap not to.

Varies greatly on design and car.
One of the reasons I stopped driving Saturn S-series is because the bearings fail so regularly. They literally last about 30K before they go bad, and they're sealed units. Also pressed in. It's a garbage job, and it has to be done too often.

Had two wheel bearings fail on my '09 Focus. On that car both failures occurred between 40 and 50K miles. Focus was/is driven easy and well taken care of. My opinion? If I take into consideration the other problems I've had with this car, I am highly disappointed in Ford.
But the Ranger? I've owned two and never replaced or packed the wheel bearings. Those are good basic little trucks.

Last edited:
FWD bearings are quite different. I recall it being a common complaint on my mkiv VW chassis, where a number of us had to have done in the 100-120kmile range--but oddly enough the replacements would last well past 100k, go figure. Mine went out at 103k, and I griped about it; but then the wife had her fronts done at 150k on her Civic, so perhaps it was truly the roads.

Kind of a pain to do, I watched mine get done. Worse on the VW, as the axle shaft has to be dealt with--I think some makes make it easier to do the job.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
One of the reasons I stopped driving Saturn S-series is because the bearings fail so regularly..

Bit of a sidetrack here, but YOU happen to be the legendary Craig form the Saturn board who once spliced a VW diesel engine into a Saturn Wagon a few years ago?

And if so, how did that work out in the long run? (I lost touch with that project thread when my old computer died and I didn;t log in for several months...)

Originally Posted By: Darris
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
One of the reasons I stopped driving Saturn S-series is because the bearings fail so regularly..

Bit of a sidetrack here, but YOU happen to be the legendary Craig form the Saturn board who once spliced a VW diesel engine into a Saturn Wagon a few years ago?

And if so, how did that work out in the long run? (I lost touch with that project thread when my old computer died and I didn;t log in for several months...)

Hah! I am not that person but I do know the project!
I revived 3 Saturns to road worthy condition and avoided sending them to the crusher though. Problems varied greatly across all 3 that I owned, but I never did anything as ambitious as the project you are referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back