2009 Honda Accord VTEC V6 Oil & Filter Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be purchasing a new-to-me used car in the near future and would like to see what the oil experts recommend I use for an oil, oil filter, and OCI.

Here are the specifics:

Year: 2009
Make: Honda
Model: Accord EX-L
Engine: 3.5L VTEC V6 J35
Miles: 65,000
Engine Condition: Proper maintenance per Honda manual followed. No signs of oil usage or leaks, but I am not 100% certain on that.
Driving Conditions: Annual miles will be around 10,000 miles. My drive to work is 8 miles round trip, with mostly short trips during the week. On the weekends, interstate trips of about 100 miles round trip.
Honda Specs: 5w20 and OCI via Oil Life Monitor

I live in Cleveland, OH wear the winter temperatures can be in the single digits and the summers can be in the 90's. What's a solid, proven, oil and filter combination that will work well for my specifications? I would like to use something that is readily available from Wal-Mart, Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, or NAPA.

I appreciate your time and help.

I have used Mobil 1 0W-20 before in our J35 and will use it again once my stash of free or near-free oil is exhausted. I would personally pair it with a Fram Tough Guard or Ultra from Walmart, or a Purolator PureONE or other premium filter if buying from another retailer. Walmart only sells the Purolator Classic, which is fine, but does lack a silicone ADBV.

Pennzoil Platinum, QSUD, Mobil 1... all will work great.

Myself... I would use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 and a Honda A01 (Filtec) filter.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I have used Mobil 1 0W-20 before in our J35 and will use it again once my stash of free or near-free oil is exhausted. I would personally pair it with a Fram Tough Guard or Ultra from Walmart, or a Purolator PureONE or other premium filter if buying from another retailer. Walmart only sells the Purolator Classic, which is fine, but does lack a silicone ADBV.

Ditto.

May consider trying Mobil 1 HM 5W20 if you can find it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Ditto.

May consider trying Mobil 1 HM 5W20 if you can find it...

Why use a high mileage oil?

Mobil 1 HM is a very good oil and many consider it one of their best. It would not hurt and it does have a beefed up ad pack and it cleans well... I know people that have used it in new cars.

Last edited:
I don't see a reason to use a HM oil if you don't need it ...

I'd go with MC Synblend 5w-20 or M1 0w-20.

More importantly, keep up on the trans fluid maintenance!

Nobody is going to suggest anything but a 20 weight, but I'm gonna suggest a 30.

I'd try M1 0w30 AFE or a mix of M1 0w20 AFE and M1 0w40.

As far as oil filter goes....I like the filters at Napa when they are on sale. Napa Gold or Napa Platinum's....they are TOP NOTCH and can be had for pretty cheap when they run their sales. Go to your local store and ask them when their next filter sale is....and get air filters, fuel filters, cabin filters, and case of oil filters.

not to smash the party but is this the coupe or sedan?
the coupe is non VCM, great motor.
the sedan is VCM... lots of problems, super heating spark plugs and they fall apart in the cylinder. hot spots in the motor causing all sorts of problems. this typically happens during extending highway use.

if it is the sedan V6 VCM I would reconsider the purchase

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
not to smash the party but is this the coupe or sedan?
the coupe is non VCM, great motor.
the sedan is VCM... lots of problems, super heating spark plugs and they fall apart in the cylinder. hot spots in the motor causing all sorts of problems. this typically happens during extending highway use.

if it is the sedan V6 VCM I would reconsider the purchase

It's the 4 door sedan Accord. I know the spark plugs were recently replaced within the last 3 months.

Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20, Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20, or Mobil 1 0w-20. Since its the VCM engine, i would change it early. Probably around 50%. Those engines shed a TON of copper.

Specifically, I believe that engine is the J35Z2, which as randomhero439 pointed out has VCM and may change the recommendation compared to non-VCM J35-series engines such as the J35A3 that is in our Saturn VUE.

Phishin mentioned the idea of an XW-30. Which I don't necessarily recommend straying from the manufacturer recommended spec, I have been running G-OIL 5W-30 in our VUE and have not noticed any difference versus the 5W-20 synthetics that I previously ran. But G-OIL shears quite a bit and according to UOAs that I've had done, it's in the XW-20 range by the end of an OCI anyway.

49.gif

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20, Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20, or Mobil 1 0w-20. Since its the VCM engine, i would change it early. Probably around 50%. Those engines shed a TON of copper.

This is one of the reasons I mentioned Mobil 1 HM 5W20 because it seems to be a slightly heavier 20 weight oil and has a great add pack(it also cleans well). Just because its classified as a HM oil does not mean you can not use it in a lower mileage vehicle. You do have 65K miles and who really knows how it was previously maintained.

I'd skip the vcm and buy a new 4 cylinder Accord at the advertised low interest rate. I would use M1 5-20 from WM

For what it's worth, Mobil1 HM 5W-20 is an API SL spec oil. The SL category is "For 2004 and older automotive engines." (source: api.org)

While your 2009 Accord originally required 5W-20, Honda has officially approved the use of 0W-20.

I've got the Mazda OEM 0W-20 in my (non-VCM) J35Z5, changed in accordance with the Maintenance Minder. I can't speak to the concerns with the VCM variant, but I'd look for evidence that xW-20 and the Maintenance Minder are grossly unsuitable before freaking out about what could be a non-issue. The VCM concerns could possibly be addressed just by using a name-brand synthetic (Mobil1, PP, QSUD, etc).

For filtration, the Fram TG7317 seems to be working just fine for me, so far. The Fram Ultra XG7317 is next on my list.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer

It's the 4 door sedan Accord. I know the spark plugs were recently replaced within the last 3 months.

65k on the car...why might the spark plugs need to be replaced? they are $15 a piece plugs should be good for 100k

really, don't buy it.

how much are they asking? doesn't really matter how much it is, research the VCM problems and your mind will/should be changed

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
What are you doing with your current car? I'd say keep the VW and skip this purchase. I remember your financial advice thread from last year:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...045#Post2838045

I would sell my current car and pay off the note. I do not like having a loan on a rapidly depreciating item. I do not like borrowing money period. I would pay cash for the Accord.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: lancerplayer

65k on the car...why might the spark plugs need to be replaced? they are $15 a piece plugs should be good for 100k

really, don't buy it.

how much are they asking? doesn't really matter how much it is, research the VCM problems and your mind will/should be changed

They are asking below fair market value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back