Moly, good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any hard evidence to show whether a significant amount of moly is a good or a bad thing? I find it peculiar that some brands contain over 600 ppm and some use next to none.

It is a favorite AW additive on this forum. Lots of fan boys. But there are many others also like Titanium, and some that do not even show up on a $20-40 VOA. To bet the lastest ratings a package of Additives with a high quality AW additive is being used.

Moly=good, Molly=bad.

It has to be good for something or they wouldn't coat pistons with it. As for the amounts it takes a certain concentration to be effective. Just going off memory I think you start to get some effect around 100ppm, then get better effect around 600ppm.

Originally Posted By: AVB
Moly=good, Molly=bad.

If Molly is hot AND bad,then that's *good*
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Moly=good, Molly=bad.

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Good golly.

I do believe we finally found a definitive answer.

It depends on what type (elemental composition) of moly it is. If it is Tri nuclear moly (used by XOM in some of its top tier lubes), much less has to be used to be effective. If it is your regular moly DTC it takes higher amounts to do the same thing and there are diminishing returns ie 1000ppm is not necessarily better than 400ppm. There are so many effective additives in lubes today moly is just one component in the "total" package.

Well it is the key difference in my desision to go with delo over rotella along with the smell. But I have heared great things about rotella so I'm not sure which has the edge as far as total package goes

Originally Posted By: 2000NWXJ
Well it is the key difference in my desision to go with delo over rotella along with the smell. But I have heared great things about rotella so I'm not sure which has the edge as far as total package goes

Just buy which ever is cheaper and more readily available. They will both perform similarly and one is not better than the other.

Moly=good, Molly=bad.

grin.gif

I dated one that also had crazy. Good and first, bad later on.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Moly=good, Molly=bad.

grin.gif

I dated one that also had crazy. Good and first, bad later on.

Nice to see another central iowan on here!

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Moly=good, Molly=bad.

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Good golly.

I do believe we finally found a definitive answer.

Well
lol.gif
DID WE FINALLY JUDT HAVE BITOG AGREEMENT??.

and if Miss Molly is so godly then what about my 409 what good is she? Is she so fine?
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back