Tech Facts, Not Myths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

Hmmm. Take a look.

The intro is interesting. Similar results have been posted before from Corvetteforum.com. The data has been updated. He is currently testing M1 Racing oils per CF.

This guy has a hatred for zinc. Maybe his mother made him wear that pink colored zinc sun block. He also has a real love for a certain company's additive so it as always I take this with a grain of salt. Interesting though. Thanks buster.

Let me add, I totally agree with his zinc philosophy (or as with any additive) more doesn't mean better.

Last edited:
Hmmm... he ranks M1 5w30 above Amsoil Signature Series 0w30...

35.gif

I am being serious when I ask this, what does any of this have to do with how an oil works in an engine?

Originally Posted By: AVB
I am being serious when I ask this, what does any of this have to do with how an oil works in an engine?

The ZDDP bonds to the engine surfaces. This shows that a lot of zinc is sometime detrimental to protecting an engine.

Yet the Lucas Racing oil with 2642ppm of zinc ranked 5th. Also nothing he added “Oil Extreme concentrate” to list any of the additives.

Unfortunately, he provided virtually no description of his testing methods, and he made no effort, as far as I can tell, to verify the reproducibility of the results.

"Unscientific," at best.

It looks like PYB (#15) increased their TBN to 18.8

I believe he is simply using a 'one armed bandit' to sell Oil Extreme Concentrate with Calcium Carbonate - Tums? - Technology.

Quote:
More zinc provides “longer” wear protection, NOT “more” wear protection. So, if someone tells you that you must have a high level of zinc for sufficient wear protection, no matter who they are, or no matter what Company they may represent, DO NOT believe it. Because they are proving that they DO NOT understand how zinc really works, and are only repeating the same old wives’ tale with absolutely NOTHING to back it up.

I’ve also “wear tested” a handful of used oils, both synthetic and conventional, that had 5,000 miles on them. And in every case, there was NO REDUCTION what so ever, in wear protection capability, even though the zinc levels had dropped by around 25% on average. So, this is even further proof that the zinc level is not tied to a motor oil’s wear protection capability.

I hope my motor oil doesn't run out of zinc!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: HardbodyLoyalist
Unfortunately, he provided virtually no description of his testing methods, and he made no effort, as far as I can tell, to verify the reproducibility of the results.

"Unscientific," at best.
+1

It's not a 1 arm bandit, but we can't show you what it is....and has about the same relevance to what goes on in an engine as one.

If you are exploring film strength, you've lost the lubrication game in a street engine.

Plus some of his concluding statements have zero relevance to the test regime, or the apparent advertorial for an oil additive.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Hmmm... he ranks M1 5w30 above Amsoil Signature Series 0w30...

35.gif

I can go to store and buy M1 WITHOUT planning in advance. So, +1
M1 also has 0W-30 as does Redline. Royal Purple does not.

Has to do with freedom and choice and not being locked into one thing at one time. not that the other oil may or may not be very very good it's just that availability helps greatly in satisfaction.

please forgive me for saying this and break out the popcorn if you must but I have found AMSOIL marketing to be more gimmicky and shady than royal purple and I would choose while purple before am so well however mobile one is right there on the shelf and probably at least as good as either of those and possibly the quote unquote best oil all around with exceptions depending on the what the where I would use the mobil .

Pennzoil Ultra #1. Did anyone notice 30 grade oil gave better wear reduction vs. 20 grade oils? Mobil 1 0W20 gave OUTSTANDING wear protection, Edge 5W20 was even better. Unless I missed it only 30 grade oil made the INCREDIBLE wear protection category. I could have missed it, it's early. I also noticed some of the thicker grade oil like 50 grade were worse. 30 grade oil seems to be in the sweet spot though, at least according to his research, if you want to believe it. Good read.

Wear protection reference categories are:

• Over 105,000 psi = INCREDIBLE wear protection

• 90,000 to 105,000 psi = OUTSTANDING wear protection

• 75,000 to 90,000 psi = GOOD wear protection

• 60,000 to 75,000 psi = MODEST wear protection

• Below 60,000 psi = UNDESIRABLE wear protection

All the oils were tested at a representative operational temperature of 230*F.

The HIGHER the psi value, the BETTER the Wear Protection.
12.gif

If your logic is true, 40wt oils should have done better, but didn't:
Quote:
20 wt oils rank between number 17 and 110.

* 30 wt oils rank between number 1 and 118.

* 40 wt oils rank between number 54 and 109.

* 50 wt oils rank between number 10 and 102.

* So, as you can see, oil viscosity plays no particular role in an oil’s wear protection capability. As mentioned above, an oil’s wear protection capability is determined by its base oil and its additive package “as a whole”, with the primary emphasis on the additive package, which contains the extreme pressure components.

Originally Posted By: brandini
If your logic is true, 40wt oils should have done better, but didn't:
Quote:
20 wt oils rank between number 17 and 110.

* 30 wt oils rank between number 1 and 118.

* 40 wt oils rank between number 54 and 109.

* 50 wt oils rank between number 10 and 102.

* So, as you can see, oil viscosity plays no particular role in an oil’s wear protection capability. As mentioned above, an oil’s wear protection capability is determined by its base oil and its additive package “as a whole”, with the primary emphasis on the additive package, which contains the extreme pressure components.

All I did was read down the list and look for • Over 105,000 psi = INCREDIBLE wear protection. I read his remarks about thinner oil, although oil rated at over 105,000 psi were all 30 grades. Did I miss something? Like I said it was early.
smile.gif
BTW I applied no logic, I just read the list and commented.

so oils with more calcium is the way to go according to this.
and i love how rotella t6 is rated #96. oh well nice read but total unscientific nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back