LUBEGARD M-V Automatic Transmission Fluid Supplement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody used of heard of this stuff? It maintains it'll change Dexron/Mercon ATF to MerconV. Is it possible to change a dino to a blend with 1 oz per quart?

The ad says:

LUBEGARD M-V Automatic Transmission Fluid Supplement benefits:

Enhances Dexron/Mercon ATF to perform like a Mercon V type fluid.
For use in all automatic transmissions requiring a Mercon V type ATF.
Prevents & Eliminates Torque Converter Lock-Up Shudder.
Prevents overheating and fluid oxidation.
Saves Time, Money and Space by eliminating the need to stock Mercon V ATF.
Keeps valves free. Also frees stuck valves.
Dramatically reduces friction & wear on metal parts and internal components.
Improves low temperature shifting.
Stabilizes the life of the fluid, thus extending service intervals.
Softens harsh shifts.
Extends fluid & component life.
Will not harm yellow metals.
Will not alter the crucial phosphorus or sulfur balance in your transmission fluid.
Contains absolutely NO Zinc

Very, very risky.

I put Amsoil "universal" ATF into my wifes 1999 Grand Caravan. Transmission slipped, even after retraining. Amsoil suggested I add some friction modifiers to their "universal" fluid, what a joke. Anyway, I did add some Lubegard HFM-ATF and it didn't help at all. Good money after bad. Flushed all the garbage out, refilled with off the shelf ATF+3, runs like a champ again. That was about 25,000 miles ago.

I wish I had read this first, bottom of page 1:

http://www.kendallmotoroil.com/productlineup/pas/k_atf_plus3.pdf

DON'T USE THE WRONG FLUID AND TRY TO MODIFY IT.

Keith.

Generally, Lubegard products are well regarded, but I haven't used this Lubegard product. It doesn't claim to convert dino ATF to a syn blend.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
It doesn't claim to convert dino ATF to a syn blend.

Yes, you are right, but Mercon V is normally a synthetic blend. I'm not quite sure why, but it seems wierd that if nobody else can manufactur Mercon V in a dino, then how does this turn Mercon to Mercon V? It doesn't seem safe to try to use Mercon & an additive in a transmission that requires Mercon V.

I'm not quite sure what or how automatic transmission fluids work, but I do know that nobody makes a non-synthetic mercon V.

Its the additive package and friction modifiers that would make Mercon into Mercon-V.

Ford made Mercon-V into a Group III/blend package because they figured it wouldn't overheat as fast with the torque converter slippage in 3rd gear - they were wrong.

Newer Fords with the 4R70W that use Mercon-V now are reprogrammed to prevent this slippage from the factory.

My recommendation would be to get a Mercon-V ATF that's sold as a partial synthetic, synthetic blend, or similar product.

I like Lubegard products and, generally, in te past they have done what they claim to do. Lubegard seems to have caught on the the 'engine treatment' and 'engine flush' segment of the additive market and that makes me wonder. I have never had a reason to distrust Lubegard products in the past.

I don't know about Lubegard automatic transmission supplement, since I have a manual transaxle. But I tried Lubegard power steering supplement and my power steering stopped whinning on cold mornings. I was very impressed. And I tried Lubegard engine supplement and my engine immediately seemed to start running better. Lubegard products are supposed to be accepted by some automotive makers. I know one thing for sure-you can find Lubegard transmission supplement at many transmission shops. I don't think that I would use Lubegard with Auto-RX. The esters might interfere with each other. It is hard to tell if Lubegard is just another snake oil or a good product. But that Lubegard power steering supplement impressed me a lot.

Lubeguard also makes an additive for manual tranny gear oils.

I just placed some in a new gear oil mix of RedLine MT-90 and MTL in a 50-50 mix to reduce cold shift harshness. So far much better then previous gear oil which was all MT-90 which was also better then the previous Amsoil. However, will never know if the new mix is the reason for the better shifting or the lubeguard or both!

I used this Lubegard product in my 2001 Mazda 626 when it had about 18,000 miles. I did not notice any improvement in the quality of the shifts. The Mazda 626 with the Ford CD4E trans does not have a very good reputation for transmission reliability and I thought I might get some improvement after using this product but the only thing that got rid of the very harsh shifting was using new Mercon V fluid to replace the old Mercon fluid that was already in the car. I did this when the car had about 20,000 miles. Lubegard does have a good reputation for making quality products but I believe from my past experience that you would need to FLUSH ALL of the old fluid out and replace it with new Mercon fluid and then add about one bottle of the Lubegard Mercon V additive to get the full benifit of this product. It is just easier (and cheaper) to flush the old Mercon fluid out and then add a new fluid that is approved for both Mercon and Mercon V. I did not see the old Mercon fluid when it was being drained out at the repair shop but it must have been totally burnt because it feels like I am driving a new car! Please let us know what you decide to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back