Toyota oil filters for 2GR-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
photo4-8.jpg

photo1-54.jpg

I bought a large variety of oil filters for my car to determine the best filter, in my opinion. There is no scientific evidence here, I dont have the tools for that, just my observations.
The toyota oem filter is a good filter but I think theres better options.
photo2-53.jpg

Toyota $5, wix/napa gold$8, purolator classic $11
photo1-53.jpg

Bosch premium(NOT D+), Purolator PureOne both $12
the smallest overall size, average construction, identical filters.
photo4-9.jpg

photo1-55.jpg

photo2-55.jpg

Purolator Synthetic $16
not impressed, low quality construction, too much glue, media bond is poor.
photo3-33.jpg

photo3-35.jpg

Fram Ultra $11
great looking and feeling filter, heavy duty, well constructed.
Fairly even pleats, thick media
photo2-54.jpg

photo3-34.jpg

Napa Platinum $19
The nicest looking filter, even pleats, top quality construction, very sturdy

All of the filters will work fine Im sure, but Im going for 10k OCI with PP 5w-20 in my Avalon.
The other 2 Frams were very similar to eachother and seemed to be high quality filters. I know lots of people dont like Fram but from these specific filters they are something I would recommend. The STP I thought was an average filter. My biggest dissapointment was ALL of the Purolator filters. They were smaller and not constructed as nicely as any of the other filters.

Please chime in with opinions and recommendations
Thanks

Why didn't you consider the Toyota High Performance TRD filter?

Best for your Toyota, IMHO - and Made in USA.

Here's a pic comparing the YZZA4 OEM and TRD (YZZA1 would be similar):

LC200OilFilterComparo1_19MA_zps4c7c6fb8.jpg

The TRD filter has:

- 100% glass/polyester blend filtration media
- 98% efficient @ 20 microns
- Zinc plated steel end caps
- Red silicone gaskets
- Includes 2 replacement Viton O-rings

Buy it from your Toyota dealer for $$, or online for $.

thumbsup2.gif

Edit to add:

Here's what the YZZA1 equivalent looks like:

TRD_ptr43-00082_YZZA1_zps4699b782.jpg

Available here for US$9.30:

TRD filter for Avalon

Last edited:
I recently used the Fram TG9999 cartridge filter in the Sedona, and I as quite happy with the build quality. Fitment was perfect, end caps were hard plastic, and sturdy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim_Bob
Who makes the TRD filter? Cost? Availability locally?

Made in the USA by Fram/Champion Labs. Available online for $9.30 or about $11.00 from any Toyota dealership.

thumbsup2.gif

^ X2. When I got my 2011 Avalon, I went to the auto parts store and started opening up boxes of oil filters of various brands for my Avalon. I was also not very impressed with the quality and construction of some of these filters, which were $10+ bucks! I could understand poor quality from an el cheapo oil filter for $2-3 bucks but for $10+ I expect good quality.

The worst I saw was a Mobil 1 which was a whooping $19 and looked absolutely HORRIBLE. Glue all over the place and the filter media was DIRTY of two of the three filters on the shelf. It was disappointing.

I ended up buying the TRD filter from a Toyota Dealer for this oil change but have since found them cheaper online, so I ordered a bunch to last me the next few years worth of oil changes.

IMO, the TRD looks best by far. The metal end caps is what sold me on it.

I plan to dump the oil every 5k but run the TRD oil filter for 10k miles total to get my money's worth out of it.

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

The TRD filter has:

- Red silicone gaskets

thumbsup2.gif

Edit to add:

TRD filter for Avalon

That site sucks. They require a $10 minimum. Ordering two filters results in $15 for shipping!!!
shocked.gif

The cheapest I found is on ebay if you come across a good deal every now and then.

Quote:
Napa Platinum $19

Choke ...
sick.gif

I'd go with the FRAM Ultra if you're doing long OCIs.

The Fram Ultra looks excellent. They all look pretty good, but the Purolators look to be lacking in the construction department. For a synthetic filter that looks kinda sad (construction wise) looks to be a little sloppy.

The Toyota 04152-YZZA1 filter has 175 square inches of media. On mine I counted 43 pleats * two sides * 13/16 inch pleat depth * 2.5 inch long = 175. That seems generous to me. The UOA of the initial oil change after 9400 miles were good to my mind. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...724#Post3096724 That coupled with the low price is attractive for the 10,000 mile OCI specified for my car.

Thanks to the OP for an interesting informative post.

Unlike spin on filters generally with an ISO tested/rated efficiency (excluding oem), I find cartridges to be a mixed bag of construction and unknown efficiency, thus making an apples to apples comparison difficult.

The Napa Platinum does 'look' excellent, but no way I'd pay or say it's worth $19. Perhaps on a 40% off Napa sale it would be different. Of the syn bunch the Ulta does look to be the best and the best value. I agree that Purolator has some work to do on that Puro Synthetic application. But unlike the predictably biased comment posted above the other Puros look ok if not spectacular. Interesting the Classic uses a no endcap design as compared to the P1 and BP. In the nylon type end caps I prefer the non wrap around type like those used on the Frams.

TRD looks very good too, depending on it's price.

I've found for my 3.8L Hyundai the Napa Gold cartridge with non wrap nylon end caps to be an excellent quality filter and real value (K oem.

Thanks for the pics. One good thing about virgin cartridge oil filter analysis as opposed to spin on, you can still use any of these filters if you choose.

Just scored an amazon warehouse deal for the TRD filter PTR43-00082 for $3.73 with free prime shipping. As soon as it comes I will add it to the post.

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

The TRD filter has:

- Red silicone gaskets

thumbsup2.gif

Edit to add:

TRD filter for Avalon

Originally Posted By: sir1900
What are your thoughts on the Wix (aka Napa Gold)?

I am normally a huge fan of wix but they are nothing special in this particular filter.
I'd go for the toyota oem filter, cheaper and more filter media, a proven and well reviewed quality filter.
Or dare I say it on this board, go for a Fram.

photo1-57.jpg

photo2-57.jpg

photo3-37.jpg

Heres the TRD filter compared to the Purolator Synthetic, obviously the same filter manufacturer. Same media, same mesh backing. For $3.73 on amazon I'll use it but overall not worth the $13 retail price tag. The Fram Ultra for $10.50 at WalMart is the best buy

Heres the TRD filter compared to the Purolator Synthetic, obviously the same filter manufacturer. Same media, same mesh backing.

Media looks different to me in the photos. Purolator doesn't make TRD filters for Toyota.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Heres the TRD filter compared to the Purolator Synthetic, obviously the same filter manufacturer. Same media, same mesh backing.

Media looks different to me in the photos. Purolator doesn't make TRD filters for Toyota.

In person it looks and feels the same. It also has the same mesh material backing the media as the purolator.

If not purolator, then who makes the filter?

In person it looks and feels the same. It also has the same mesh material backing the media as the purolator.

All fully synthetic media has the wire backing. Champion Labs might make the Toyota TRD ... not 100% positive, that's what I recall.

Champion Labs makes the Royal Purple full synthetic, and I think the TRD is basically a RP clone.
http://www.champlabs.com/content/royal-purple-oil-filters

Look at the fine print on the box and see if it says who manufactures it.

All fully synthetic media has the wire backing. Champion Labs might make the Toyota TRD ... not 100% positive, that's what I recall.

Champion Labs makes the Royal Purple full synthetic, and I think the TRD is basically a RP clone.
http://www.champlabs.com/content/royal-purple-oil-filters

Look at the fine print on the box and see if it says who manufactures it.

All are backed yes, but not all manufacturers use the same backing material.
The Fram Ultra is a thick metal while the purolator and TRD are thin plastic coated that is very similar to screen patio material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back