Toyota power steering, what to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Less than $10 for a quart of premium lubricant is far from overkill. (Better cold and hot protection and longer life)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Toyota parts has dex III atf with a Toyota label.....

Saw that, $7.25 a qt from Amazon. But I'm thinking, is Toyota OEM Dex III better than say Valvoline Dex/Merc or the others mentioned, costing much less?

As I'm doing turkey baster also realizing some waste is built in, so thinking along the lines of those mentioned. And what I don't use from a gallon jug will be left for a trans d&f later on.

Also, I'd like to know about how much will be needed before it starts looking clean/red.

A synthetic Dex-III ATF will give longer service life. Add a 1/2" Magnefine or Filtran in-line filter to the return line and you have a lifetime solution. I used the Lubegard Power Steering Protectant, and it noticeably decreased the effort to steer. I don't know how long the benefit lasts, but the immediate effect was remarkable--it might do some good to extend the life of the parts.

I sold a Volvo with 200,000 miles on the steering components and everything continued to work well. That had the syn ATF, filter, and Lubegard for at least the last 100k.

I had issues with my last Toyota truck's PSP (1993 p/u V6). Had it rebuilt twice. Started using Redline D4 in 2002 and never had an issue after that.
I'm currently doing the switch on my "new" 4Runner and again using Redline D4.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Does Toyota sell a "dex III" PSF?

Given that there is no such thing as Dex III any more, I'd go with the closest thing that still has a specification approval - go to target and get the Mobil ATF.

While nothing can be called dex III anymore, that carries an Allison approval which is near equivalent.

In my BMW that calls for ATF (dex), I've used M1 ATF for years and like it.

Toyota doesnt sell a PSF. They recommend to use ATF. I have been using turkey basting method for the last couple years and the M1 has worked great.

Not in Toyotas, but M1 ATF has worked very well for me for at least 20 years. Turkey baster every engine oil change.

I have used Redline D4 in four (4) Toyota's for approx. 7 yrs.
Turkey Baster method approx. 10k to 15k miles.
No Problems

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Thinking of doing a power steering fluid service on 01 Tacoma, likely turkey baster, but most importantly wondering what to use.

Owners manual calls for Dex III but I'm wondering as that's an older spec if I have other options that might be better. Checking some new Tacomas and they also still seems to still call for Dex III.

So, should I use only Dex III something like Castrol Transmax Dex/Merc from AAP on sale in gallon size? Could I use a Dex VI fluid? Or even a power steering fluid?

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Dexron ATF works perfectly in a Toyota PS system if specified for that model. Any other type of PS or ATF fluid will result in inferior performance and reliability when Dexron is specified. The current version of Dexron is Dexron-VI, which is backward compatible with all previous Dexron specs (Dexron, Dexron-II, II-D, II-E, III, III-G, and III-H). However, a new Dexron-HP -- possibly PAO-based -- spec has just been announced and will be in the shelves in a year. Nevertheless, if you get Valvoline Dexron-VI, it's already fully synthetic, albeit probably Group-III-based, not PAO-based.

Curious why Toyota wouldn't have just spec'd T-IV or WS. Any good reason these wouldn't work?

Originally Posted By: weebl
Curious why Toyota wouldn't have just spec'd T-IV or WS. Any good reason these wouldn't work?

Probably not because they wouldn't work but because Dexron has been tried and proven over many years in Toyota PS systems as an excellent PS fluid and they don't want to take chances recommending something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back