Stick with it,or Blend it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever notice you can give advice for an oil with no issue at all, but struggle with the decision when it's your car? Welcome to my world..
wink.gif

I'm due with normally would be oil for my cavalier (aka my "baby") I always go out of my way to take care of this car. Notice I say normally. Not sure if it is age or wisdom, but just maybe common sense is catching up with me. The last few times I've changed the oil (QSUD), is is nearly clean! I kinda feel like I am wasting it here. But like an overprotective father with a daughter, I make sure that this car is well protected...god forbid I have any wear....
grin.gif

Anyways, with only 2k on the oil (and still pretty clean!), I'm looking at two choices:

1- just run this oil a full year, until next April. Once the snow comes down, this car rarely comes out anyways...plus I'm pretty sure the Delco filter can handle it..

2-Like a true BITOGer, I even stocked up on oils I do not know what to do with. When my local hardware store had Service Pro (5w30) syn blend oil for 10 bucks for a 5qt jug, I jumped on it, and have a few jugs just sitting around. I know that SP oil will do just fine in an engine that is easy on oil anyways..and I figure the blend will give me a little more protection at cold start ups, since sometimes I can go a week without driving it..like the syn normally would...

Or I could just change it the usual way, as Have still have quite a bit of synthetic lying around.. and sadly, with as little as this car gets driven in a year, I could just buy dino and have a well protected engine....

1 year and low mileage should be no problem, unless maybe all the miles are short trips in town.

Option 1. Theoretically the SP 5w30 will be thicker thus reducing flow during the cold months which equals less protection. Leave the QSUD 5w20 in. It is such a great lube!

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
2-Like a true BITOGer, I even stocked up on oils I do not know what to do with.

crackmeup2.gif

I can soooo identify with that comment! Easy trap to fall into.

You are running good oil I say run it to at least 5k or 1 year.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
What is your current QSUD weight and Oil Change Interval?

Always used 5w30 for this car. OCIs are down to twice a year, usually late spring/fall. Car has not seen more than 5k a year total in many years now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back