Treatment for Rust on Suspension Components?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a treatment *that's not paint* to eliminate and prevent rust on suspension components? This is purely for vanity's sake as there isn't any problem here; I have been known to take the wheels off of the S2000 occasionally and clean the suspension components and the rear control arms have always had a light coating of rust on them.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Is there a treatment *that's not paint* to eliminate and prevent rust on suspension components?

Move to Arizona, or paint the suspension with melted Brownell's Rust Veto grease. Otherwise, you're stuck.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Is there a treatment *that's not paint* to eliminate and prevent rust on suspension components?

Move to Arizona, or paint the suspension with melted Brownell's Rust Veto grease. Otherwise, you're stuck.

Haha yeah that's not going to work. To modify my paint comment, I'm willing to brush something on but will not mess with anything aerosol, it's not worth overspray for such an insignificant superficial thing.

Fluid film works great.

I use waste motor oil and waste gear oil. Brush it on, spray it on ... whatever I need to do to keep my car from rusting.

Usually the suspension components get either a brush on of waste gear oil, or they get grease applied by (nylon glove) hand.

I'll be darned if I let this car die of rust!

The Fluid Film, Carwell, Krown etc should all stop the rust in it's tracks which is what you want. Go for it! Otherwise you maybe kicking yourself in a few years.

Does fluid film remove existing and prevent new or just prevent new?
As I said before, this is mainly a vanity thing, we're only talking about a thin, inconsistent rust. I was reminded of it last night when I put new rear brakes on so I figured I'd ask you guys.
smile.gif

I'm willing to brush something on but will not mess with anything aerosol, it's not worth overspray for such an insignificant superficial thing.

Who said anything about spraying? You melt the Rust Veto in its can in boiling water the same way you'd melt chocolate, then use a brush to paint it on the suspension. What you don't use is left to re-solidify in the can and then put away for future use.

I've never used Fluid Film so I have no idea what its consistency is like. I'd be concerned about the heavy road-splash and sandblasting experienced by suspension components; Fluid Film may not survive that, but Rust Veto is pretty durable in that regard.

Does fluid film remove existing and prevent new or just prevent new?
As I said before, this is mainly a vanity thing, we're only talking about a thin, inconsistent rust. I was reminded of it last night when I put new rear brakes on so I figured I'd ask you guys.
smile.gif

It doesn't remove the existing rust but does neutralize it. It draws the current moisture out of it and applies a coating to help prevent new rust from forming. I'd apply it annually. I don't think I've heard or read anything negative about it. Runs about a $100 per application at a shop or buy a few cans and diy. Like I said earlier, you'll be kicking yourself in a few years if you don't.

Used motor/gear oil may affect any rubber components causing them to swell.

Fluid Film is safe for rubber.

If you can't buy locally,
Go on E-Bay and buy some in 'aerosoil' can.
Cheapest if you buy a case.

I buy aerosoil cans on E-Bay
and
1 Gallon cans at my local Ford Tractor Dealer.

Last edited:
You guys using FF, can you do a complete job with the spray bombs, or is buying the gallon and a gun for applying it the best way to go? Thanks.

[quote=demarpaint]You guys using FF, can you do a complete job with the spray bombs, or is buying the gallon and a gun for applying it the best way to go? Thanks. [/quote]

It depends on your individual situtation.

For 5 years, I took my vehicle to a collision shop that sprayed it with something similiar to Fluid Film.

Year 6, I saw that I still had good coverage.
I then bought a case of Fluid Film (aerosoil cans) and just did touch-up.

I have the gallon can, but brushing it on large areas can be messy.
I don't know the technical term, but Fluid Film will thin out when brushed on.
A few minutes later it will go back to its original viscosity.

My nephew uses a spray gun and is happy.

Your method of application would depend on:
1) Ease of getting under your vehicle
2) How fussy you want to be
3) Where you will do the spraying,
Clean driveway - watch out for drips
Vacant lot - go crazy

I live in Buffalo NY ...... We get snow ...... The roads are salted.
My vehicle is 11 years old ...... I have NO rust that I can see.

Also, I do a thourgh job in the Fall, and then touchup in the Spring.

I'm looking for the easy way out. I have the tools to spray it but I'm lazy, looking for the easy way out.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Then (in the Fall) I would get under it and only spray the rusted areas using aerosoil cans.

Also, spray/grease the brake lines weather rusted or not.

That's pretty much what I do. I do it in the fall, and when I rotate my tires I check the wheel wells again.

I read Fluid film is safe on synthetic rubber but not on natural rubber (may cause it to swell).

Dumb question, Does the average vehicle have any natural rubber on it? I assume not but I thought I'd check before spraying.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back