2011 Equinox 2.4L 6-Spd Trans Fluid Dark/Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I drained the transmission fluid out of my 2011 Equinox this weekend because I was curious since it shifts so much. To my surprise it came out near-black. At only 36,500 miles I could not believe what I was seeing. Does anyone know if they put a dye in that assembly at the factory to check for leaks? If so, I could see that as being a reason it was super dark/black. Otherwise I suppose I'll be draining & refilling yearly from now on.

Probably a good idea to do that...I drain and fill the Accord every year as it sees stop and go 95% of the time.

I'd be curious to see what my parents' escape is going to look like at 30K miles.

Their escape has the same transmission (Ford and GM share a few transmissions) and it's always shifting!

servicing the transmission is good maintenance. manufacturers have been trying to sell vehicles on the basis of low maintenance costs, but in the long run I think it hurts owners who keep vehicles for more than 5 years before trading.
without service, you transmission may not have failed for many thousands more miles, but probably would have just after your 5 year powertrain was up.
not a set-up on the part of the manufacturer, Daewoo wouldn't do that. just a poor maintenance play for people who keep vehicles long term.

Not sure there is evidence of constant pending doom at the mark 10k after the warranty is up.

Did you do UOA? Color may not be evident of anything (oil gets black as soon as it gets put in a Diesel engine - what is the composition of the clutches?). What was the oxidation number and did it stay at viscosity?
Do you manually shift it often?

An AT is the biggest make-or-break when it comes to vehicle lifetime and longevity, as well as lifecycle cost. Simply because nothing else in a vehicle is so prone to massive failure at such a cost and low-ish mileage. I'd be changing on a regular interval, but I wouldn't base it upon the fluid looking black necessarily.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
So I drained the transmission fluid out of my 2011 Equinox this weekend because I was curious since it shifts so much. To my surprise it came out near-black. At only 36,500 miles I could not believe what I was seeing. Does anyone know if they put a dye in that assembly at the factory to check for leaks? If so, I could see that as being a reason it was super dark/black. Otherwise I suppose I'll be draining & refilling yearly from now on.

My buddy has the same vehicle('11 Nox w/2.4 & 6spd FWD). Is this an easy taks(drain/refill)?

I'd like to talk him into doing this. I alway do D&F on my Asian vehicle(very easy).

How many qts of Dex VI does this take?

6 speed constantly shifting? I'm not surprised but then an 8 or 9 speed speed will drive you nuts! The 8 speed rental I had drove me crazy. More gears, means more the shifting, and more wear metals in the ATF. I would change the fluid and send it out for analysis. It could be a normal event since it has 2 more gears to shift into and out of than an older 4 speed AT. It may also require more frequent changes than the OM is leading you to believe. Just my 2¢.

Black might be fine, what color does it come out of the bottle? Color is not really much of an indication.

Sounds like a waste of money to me, and expensive insurance.

When does GM recommend to change it?

Manufacturer recommdations for atfs seem more like enough for you to make it past your warranty, not enough to keep your transmission alive as long as it can. I think a uoa of that would have been a good idea.

DEXRON VI comes out of the bottle fire engine red. Brown/black & burnt smelling fluid (what came out of the Equinox) is a sign of worn out transmission fluid. Since I just did a drain & fill, about half the old stuff was left in. I drained & refilled tonight again and took a sample--one for the dealer & one for me to send in. Even with more than 50% new transmission fluid it was still the color of dark chocolate syrup & smelled burnt.

The service adviser sounded very concerned. I've got an appointment set up for Thursday morning. I doubt they'll swap out the transmission at only 36,500 though. I suspect there was damage done, but how much is uncertain.

I often find ATF that is putrid at 30,000 miles even when manufacturers recommend longer intervals.

I don't know why some cars do it and some don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back