What oil for a gear box with a wet clutch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a trailer mounted post hole digger. It has a Briggs motor that couples to the auger through a "wet" centrifugal clutch and a gear box. Nice design that allows for leveling and safe operation. I can't find any online info about it. I want to know what oil to put in the gear case that will allow the clutch to work properly. The machine is similar to this online image: Dig-R-Mobile post hole digger

Rotella is great, or a motorcycle-specific oil that's designed specifically for wet clutches.

Any synthetic automatic transmission fluid around 90wt would work just fine for you. That wet clutch is going to shear the fluid up a bit - but it shouldn't have too large of a charge, so changes shouldn't break the bank.

Why not use a TO-4 fluid. It's a gear and bearing oil with frictional compound compatibility. SAE 50 or 60 should work.

Whichever you use, you will have to change it pretty consistently because that wet clutch is going to shear that oil down to a lower viscosity the more it is used.

Since it's just a gear box and not oil for that little motor, I'm get a high quality ATF fluid or similar and just go with it.

The type of gearbox would be very helpful...like what kind of reduction? worm gear? I would start there and use a gear oil specific to the type of gearbox and then make sure it has a anti-friction modifiers for the wet clutch. You need more info to decide on proper recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back