2010 Ford Fusion TB replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
A co-worker of mine has a 2010 Fusion 2.5L that is just out of warranty. His wife drives it, and has begun to sputter and cut off at somewhat regular intervals. This is apparently usually accompanied by a check engine light. He had AutoZone scan it and it's a P2111. The throttle body is apparently under investigation by NHTSA and parts are back-ordered by Ford.

Can any Ford technicians on here offer some advice? Have you seen this on cars brought in before and is replacement of the throttle body really the fix? Has Ford re-designed the throttle body, or would a new one eventually suffer the same fate as the original one? It's a 2010 and is out of warranty.

A key cycle usually is a temporary fix. You mat try cleaning it but a new tb is the fix. I have out many of them on.

Technically, the TB is an emissions component, so it shouldn't be out of warranty. If the owner presses it, the dealer should take care of it.

The TB on my Freestyle has a recall on it, but regular cleaning has prevented any issues. On mine, the main issue is that when the TB gets dirty, there's excessive movement of the wiper arms on the contact film, wearing grooves into the film and then sending irregular voltage readings to PCM. There's been a software upgrade to "fix" the issue, though sometimes you still have to replace the TB.

The issue with the Fusion seems a bit more isolated, but then again it could be because the cars are newer and the problems haven't manifested themselves yet. I guess one could try cleaning it first, but I think I'd push the dealer on the emissions warranty.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Powertrain warranty is out to 60k and it definitely should fall under that warranty.

They have 66k on the car.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Technically, the TB is an emissions component, so it shouldn't be out of warranty. If the owner presses it, the dealer should take care of it.

Thanks; I recommended to him to check this out. I think the federal emissions warranty is typically 8/80, so the car should still be under that.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Are you able to clean the electronic throttle bodies?

Yes, you just have to be careful not to have TB cleaner go into the throttle position sensor. The easiest way to do this is to remove it and hold it at 12:00.

It's funny, at first Ford said the Freestyle TB wasn't serviceable and couldn't be cleaned. Then, when the TSB to resolve the issue came out, the fix was...cleaning the throttle body.

No idea as to whether or not it'll fix the issue w/the Fusion, but it's worth trying.

He called the dealer and they're giving him the run-around regarding it being under warranty. The book does indeed say that the "Throttle Body Assembly (MFI)" is covered under the federal 8/80 emissions warranty, but the person on the phone at the dealership is saying that they type this part number in and it's not showing that it's covered under the 8/80 warranty. They said it will vary by state. I thought that was the point of a federal warranty: it should be the same regardles of where you are.

The local dealer has three in stock. If Ford will replace it under warranty, he's going to have them do it. If not, they say it'll be a $450 job.

He has cleaned his once prior, and it seemed to help for a week or two, but it's back to acting up. So he's committed to getting the assembly replaced.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
He called the dealer and they're giving him the run-around regarding it being under warranty. The book does indeed say that the "Throttle Body Assembly (MFI)" is covered under the federal 8/80 emissions warranty, but the person on the phone at the dealership is saying that they type this part number in and it's not showing that it's covered under the 8/80 warranty. They said it will vary by state. I thought that was the point of a federal warranty: it should be the same regardles of where you are.

The local dealer has three in stock. If Ford will replace it under warranty, he's going to have them do it. If not, they say it'll be a $450 job.

He has cleaned his once prior, and it seemed to help for a week or two, but it's back to acting up. So he's committed to getting the assembly replaced.

Come to think of it, the dealer is right. There's a basic 3/36 warranty on all parts and 8/80 on some other parts (TB is excluded from those parts). Then, there's an extension of that warranty for California and other states that conform to CA's standards. WA is one of them, but your state is not one of them. Bummer.

You can find a new (revised) OEM TB on Ebay from a dealer for $125 shipped, so that's probably the route to go. If the guy can turn 4 bolts, undo a hose clamp and unhook an electrical harness, he can do it himself. The good news is that if the parts end up getting recalled, Ford may reimburse him down the road. That's what happened w/the FS owners who had to buy new TB's--Ford actually cut them checks after they sent in their receipts.

If they run the number and it isn't covered that is it. Every Ford dealer runs part coverage in OASIS and it will come back with coverage or not. I could do it now with the VIN, mileage, and typing in 9E926 which is the basic number for a Throttle Body. They are not considered an emissions component, therefore not covered under the emissions warranty.

Yeah, we can see now in the warranty book a small statement before the large "parts covered" table that says that only the catalytic converter, ECM/TCM, and other emissions diagnostic equipment is covered by 8/80. All other covered parts are covered by 2/24. So he's out of luck.

He has seen YouTube videos on the replacement and it looks very straight forward. He likely won't do it himself, and will just have the dealer replace it. He's pretty confident that it'll end up being recalled and he'll get his money back. Most dealers he's called also say that they believe it'll be recalled; they replace throttle bodies on these multiple times each week.

are there any youtube or descriptive instructions on the proper way to clean these?

I've got the 2012 Fusion SE with the 2.5L I4.
I'm at 48k and all's very well so far.
But next oil change I'm ready to clean mine if it'll keep things going!

I wonder if I should buy one off ebay or somewhere and keep it in the trunk! ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back