"Man from U.N.C.L.E." movie proceeds . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who remember the '64-'68 TV series, the word on the Hollywood street was that Tom Cruise was ready to play the lead role Robert Vaughn made famous, that of Napoleon Solo. Now he's pulled out (snark has it that the 5'6" actor didn't want to star with 6'5" Armie Hammer!). The "Man of Steel" actor is in talks now: http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/28/henry-cavill-in-talks-to-star-in-u-n-c-l-e-variety-says/

Here's a commercial on YouTube in which he wears a tux: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKqFMxdN3Pc

Cavill's got the look. More important from the studio's viewpoint, if "Man of Steel" is a hit, he'll be a bankable name. And he's the right age, 30. If the MfU movie ever does get made, and kicks off a franchise, he and Hammer ("Lone Ranger") are young enough to star in several flicks in the series.

A lot of things might still go wrong, and probably will. Remakes of '60s TV series have almost all been awful ("The Avengers," "I Spy") because the filmmakers don't understand what made those shows special. But if Guy Ritchie, the director attached to this, can keep "U.N.C.L.E." from being a parody of itself -- can keep the modern tropes away, like "the agents' boss turns out to be a traitor" and junk like that -- we might have a decent shot at a new MfU. Whaddaya think?

I can see it now: Vaughn and Cavill (which sounds like a law firm right there) doing spots together for law firms and/or "The Helsinki Formula"!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I am also excited but after several up then down rides from the studios I must withhold judgement

I know. The U.N.C.L.E. property has had a long ride, starting in the mid- to late '70s, and gotten spilled out of the car every time. Fans say there's a curse on the whole movie project.

Hey, at least it's not Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson as two bumbling spies for an underfunded U.S. intelligence agency, with Kevin James ("King of Queens") as their boss!

Tinseltown must REALLY be out of ideas if they MUST resort to remakes/sequels/prequels like they seem compelled to do, and as has been said, usually eff them up when they do.
frown.gif

I believe that NO MATTER WHAT they do with this project, it will NEVER even come close to the quality of the original series with Rob and Dave.
31.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Tinseltown must REALLY be out of ideas if they MUST resort to remakes/sequels/prequels like they seem compelled to do, and as has been said, usually eff them up when they do.
frown.gif

I believe that NO MATTER WHAT they do with this project, it will NEVER even come close to the quality of the original series with Rob and Dave.
31.gif

True. There was a time when real screenwriters stalked the earth -- ones who understood story and could mix humor and action in the right proportions. I'm thinking William Goldman. If you mixed the humor and high spirits of "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" with the suspense and action of "Marathon Man," you'd have something very close to the original U.N.C.L.E. spirit.

Sadly, most producers today have probably never heard of Goldman.

ETA: I'm wrong; he's still working. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001279/

I remember itfrom the 1st time around. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but won't hold my breath.

If they *do* make one- McCallum & Vaughn(if he's still around & able) have gotta have cameos!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
The Man from Uncle had nothing to compete with the Avengers. Esp Diana Rigg as Emma Peel.

Oh, I know -- though there were plenty of beautiful women as guest stars on U.N.C.L.E. Jill Ireland (McCallum's wife at the time), Anne Francis, Senta Berger, June Lockhart, Yvonne Craig, Sharon Tate, Juliet Mills, Mary Ann Mobley (the original Girl from U.N.C.L.E.), Barbara Bouchet, Carol Wayne, Abbe Lane, Kim Darby, and more.

There was a certain cross-pollination between the spy shows. "Avengers" had an episode called "The Girl from Auntie."

The movie starts filming next week: http://www.wearemoviegeeks.com/2013/09/h...n-c-l-e-sept-9/

The plot and most of the casting doesn't sound bad. The only thing that really disturbs me is Hugh Grant (???) as Mr. Waverly, the U.N.C.L.E. counterpart to M from the Bond films. Please, Mr. Ritchie, don't play the character for laughs --!

Yeah, okay, someone named "Armie" Hammer as a Russian agent? But I've never seen him and have no idea of his talent or lack of same. Anybody see "The Social Network"? ("The Lone Ranger" was probably not more than a star turn for Johnny Depp.)

McCallum is awesome!! I have some albums he did in the mid 60s. YouTube his song called "The Edge".

Maybe they won't mess it up too badly. The article made no mention of cameos by Vaughan & McCallum. I guess that would have made too much sense & shown too much class.

BTW- the full series gift set of Get Smart! is on sale at AZ right now for ~$53, they usually show it for about $90 or more. As of today, the full series set of Man From UNCLE was running about $133!

Originally Posted By: UncleS2
Maybe they won't mess it up too badly. The article made no mention of cameos by Vaughan & McCallum. I guess that would have made too much sense & shown too much class.

I really don't know if I want to see that. Sure, nowadays it's gotten to be a tradition. But it tends to jerk me out of the spell the movie is supposed to be casting on me.

Though I like in-jokes as much as the next person. In the original show, for example, they were always naming a character or a street after Norman Felton, the executive producer, or Sam Rolfe, the creator/developer of the series. Those were not references that most audiences in those days would catch -- you'd have to pay attention to credits for that, and I'm not sure people even today notice the exec. producer or created by credits. Fans of a particular show, yes; the average viewer, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back