Is all rotella diesel oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning on running either rotella or valvoline 10w30 conventional in my jeep 4.0. Is rotella all diesel oil or is there a special formula for gas vehicles. I know rotella has great uoa's on this engine but I have read that diesel oils can have too much detergent for gas engines.

Rotella is suitable for use in both diesel and gasoline engines. Use it with confidence.
thumbsup2.gif

I don't believe there is any gasoline-specific Rotella. All I've ever seen are dual rated HDEOs, and there may be some older style two-stroke diesel only versions. There is nothing wrong with running a CJ-4/SM or CJ-4/SN HDEO in a gasoline engine, within certain limitations, of course. It's best if the viscosity is close and the specifications are the same or similar. I'd run 10w-30 Rotella in my old F-150 without hesitation. If I had a new Camry or Prius, I might think over it a bit longer, at least while under warranty, since they likely call for a 0w-20 in SN/GF-5, and the HDEO will certainly not meet the ILSAC specification, much less the viscosity called for.

All the Rotella starbursts I've looked at have been API SM certified. So assuming your Jeep 4.0 will accept API SM (verify with your manual), and I'm positive it will, then Rotella oils are suitable for your Jeep. All the technical specifications aside, I have no problem using "diesel" oils in my gasoline vehicles. I'm even mixing some Rotella T6, 5W40, in my Corolla with Mobil Clean 5000, 5W20, at about a 1:3 ratio to add some "detergency" and the slightly thicker mixture satisfied my distaste with piston slap at start-up.

Originally Posted By: cancov
All the Rotella starbursts I've looked at have been API SM certified.

I bet you'll find an API Donut on there, and not a Starburst.
wink.gif
The Starburst indicates ILSAC compliance, and I haven't seen such a Rotella product - Formula Shell, yes, not Rotella, though.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: cancov
All the Rotella starbursts I've looked at have been API SM certified.

I bet you'll find an API Donut on there, and not a Starburst.
wink.gif
The Starburst indicates ILSAC compliance, and I haven't seen such a Rotella product - Formula Shell, yes, not Rotella, though.

Its the API SM Donut on the back of them.

7 Posts down in this thread.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2420723

The diesel thing was done for marketing purposes. It is clearly okay for gasoline engines (most diesel oils are).

Originally Posted By: 2000NWXJ
... but I have read that diesel oils can have too much detergent for gas engines.

I've read this as well and have no idea where this comes from. Not true. People that assume, I suppose.

-Dennis

Rotella is a Shell brand of diesel oil.
Many of these oils are dual rated, that is they carry both SAE Cx and Sx ratings, but some grades are strictly C rated.
If you want to use T5, it is dual rated and suitable for API SM applications.
This is a thicker oil than VWB.
The Rotella may have higher detergency but I can't see that causing any problems.
I'd consider it an upgrade over VWB and I'd run it without a second thought.

I am running Petro Canada Duron-E synthetic 5w40 in my 08 Ranger FX4, and if i could marry an oil I would. Smooth as silk. As I was pouring it in I started to second guess myself but the second I turned it over I am in love. The oil is dual rated, Rotella from what i am told is a great oil use without worry...as long as your warranty is up that is lol.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Its the API SM Donut on the back of them.

Yep, API SM/CJ-4, no Starburst, of course, because there's no ILSAC compliance, identical to the API certification mark on the jugs of Mobil Delvac 1 ESP I have in my garage (and in my sump).

The only Rotella I saw that wasn't approved for gasoline use was T1 SAE30. You would be better off with a multi viscosity oil, so you wouldn't want this oil anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back