Easy Trans filter.. Anyone have or use this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
take a look, Im thinking about getting this for my Honda since the Tranny Filter is inside the darn thing and cant be changed unless you take out the tranny.. Seems very easy to install and even has a bypass....

ATP JX-154 Transmission Filter

23lk50i.jpg

Here is how it looks inside and how to attach to radiator... it even has a bypass in-case it gets CLOGED

x5b7s1.jpg

So what you guys think??????

Do you think it could be a good product??? ATP stuff ussually is good IMO.

Sizes

GM
3/8 ̋ Quick Connect
JX-156
5/16 ̋ Quick Connect JX-152
GM, Chrysler
3/8 ̋ Flare JX-157
Ford
5/16 ̋ Inverted Long Flare JX-153
3/8 ̋ Inverted Long Flare JX-158
Mazda, Honda
3/8 ̋ Barb Snap Connector Connector
JX-154
Universal
3/8 ̋ Double Barb*
JX-155
5/16 ̋ Double Barb JX-151

Last edited:
I looked at their 600+ page catalog and do not see a micron size listed for the filter. What is the price, looks to be about $18 on Amazon so a few dollars more than a Magnefine. The filter does look kind of small compared to a Magnefine. Interestingly also in the catalog is a relabeled Magnefine inline filter, and they say its a 25 micron filter, but Magnefine says its 30.

If your vehicle takes the threaded version of the filter you will need room for it to go straight back. With the Magnefine you have some choices about where to put it.

I have had a Magnefine on 3 vehicles and always have found a spot to mount it.

As to size, I never find much in the media side of a Magnefine filter. Mostly a metal paste on the magnet.

I emailed ATP asking about micron size.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I looked at their 600+ page catalog and do not see a micron size listed for the filter. What is the price, looks to be about $18 on Amazon so a few dollars more than a Magnefine. The filter does look kind of small compared to a Magnefine. Interestingly also in the catalog is a relabeled Magnefine inline filter, and they say its a 25 micron filter, but Magnefine says its 30.

If your vehicle takes the threaded version of the filter you will need room for it to go straight back. With the Magnefine you have some choices about where to put it.

As to size, I never find much in the media side of a Magnefine filter. Mostly a metal paste on the magnet.

Cool let us know the micron size

what I think is cool is you can unscrew what in your radiator from your trans-line and simply use this and it has the filter built in..... then clamp it..

nothing to cut...

very cool IMO.. cheap and easy...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: Donald

Cool let us know the micron size

what I think is cool is you can unscrew what in your radiator from your trans-line and simply use this and it has the filter built in..... then clamp it..

nothing to cut...

very cool IMO.. cheap and easy...

Well maybe - YMMV - every car is different and some have very restricted access. And those hard lines don't always like to be tweeked.

I think i like it. I have very few rubber lines on my transmission and this might be the ticket. I don't care if it doesn't filter fine particles out like a magnefine if it traps most of the iron going past it.

I would prefer the magnefine but i haven't found a way to mount it to my very short rubber lines.

Good Searching, David. I'm into this stuff and missed this new product!

Looks very good in concept. Can't potentially see too much wrong with this, except capacity and possibly efficiency. They look pretty small.

I like the unit that screws into the radiator... that's a good space utilization idea.

I have a feeling that the MF will beat it for efficiency, given that this one has only a screen and not a filter, but given that approximately 50% of the contaminants generated by an automatic are ferrous, the magnet will help alot being in the flow. I will be a LOT less excited if the efficiency is 80um or so (about the same as a good felt pan filter). If so, it will be a LOT less effective than the MF.

Remember the typical size range for ATF contamination is 5-80 um. If the magnet catches 50 percent of those and the filter is 80 um, it's letting a lot of stuff circulate (though the iron is the most harmful of that stuff). THe MF is 30 um. Anyway, I won't get too far ahead here 'till we know more.

I think this unit is intended more for rebuilders, who have a big problem with cleanliness after installing a reman trans. The cooler lines and cooler can be difficilt to clear of failure junk and this unit offeres some insurance. We "maintainers" are looking for super clean

Thanks Donald for doing the legwork on the efficiency. We await with bated breath.

I used one on my rebuilt AT on the 89 Accord. The rebuilder (Howard Engineering) required the use of a Magnafine during the warranty period (3yrs/36,000mi). When I did the second D&F (that vintage Honda AT had no changeable filter) I replaced the MF with one of these ATP filters. At that point an external filter was not really necessary for my car, but the ATP filter took up a lot less space and didn't hamper access to the dipstick/fill hole. The design seems solid and I have used this company's products since the 80's with success (filter/gasket sets for my 72 Catalina's TH400 tranny).

Forgot to Mention before that ATP used to sell one made by Filtran, which was an inline more like the Magnefine.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Good Searching, David. I'm into this stuff and missed this new product!

Looks very good in concept. Can't potentially see too much wrong with this, except capacity and possibly efficiency. They look pretty small.

I like the unit that screws into the radiator... that's a good space utilization idea.

I have a feeling that the MF will beat it for efficiency, given that this one has only a screen and not a filter, but given that approximately 50% of the contaminants generated by an automatic are ferrous, the magnet will help alot being in the flow. I will be a LOT less excited if the efficiency is 80um or so (about the same as a good felt pan filter). If so, it will be a LOT less effective than the MF.

Remember the typical size range for ATF contamination is 5-80 um. If the magnet catches 50 percent of those and the filter is 80 um, it's letting a lot of stuff circulate (though the iron is the most harmful of that stuff). THe MF is 30 um. Anyway, I won't get too far ahead here 'till we know more.

I think this unit is intended more for rebuilders, who have a big problem with cleanliness after installing a reman trans. The cooler lines and cooler can be difficilt to clear of failure junk and this unit offeres some insurance. We "maintainers" are looking for super clean

Thanks Donald for doing the legwork on the efficiency. We await with bated breath.

yea I like the way it can just screw right into the radiator and not take up to much space. Plus it has a bypass like a oil filter so you do not have to worry about clogging.

Also ATP always makes good stuff.... They put lots of thought into there products.

I have one on order right now
smile.gif

FYI, all the inline filters for ATs have a bypass. Disastrous if they don't. I have known a few guys who have installed homemade setups using hydraulic filters that have no built-in bypass. That's fine if they are very, very careful. If there is no bypass in the base and the filter plugs... it's tranny time very soon. Better to use an engine oil fitler that has a built-ib bypass and with the good 15-20 um engine oil filters out there with synthetic media and very high (30 grams or more) capacity, that's a good option if you have room and want to cut lines.

Lotta tranny shops use ATP stuff and count on it.

I'm also interested in ATP's answer about the micron rating. DBMaster, did you happen to open your old filter if that was possible?

One of these would fit perfectly on my Vibe, where a Magnefine would need more elaborate plumbing. I almost ordered the compact filter a year or two ago, except for this: I sent off for a free "Magna Pure" power steering filter (somebody posted info here) that looks a lot like the 3/8 universal above. They aren't exactly the same, because mine is serviceable. The innards look a lot like the drawing above, though. The magnet on this one is 1/2" diameter with a center hole just under 5/16". It sits in a steel cup that's part of the screen/bypass spring assembly. Compared to Magnefine, it's not very impressive. It would probably catch big chunks, but I think the Magnefine is a much better solution for those who can install it.

I haven't done anything yet. My trans is showing high aluminum in UOAs, but trending down slightly each year. The little magnet won't catch that, and I'm probably in trouble if the aluminum is big enough to get caught in the screen.

That invention is genius! I don't like the idea of cutting a specially formed factory hose to put a Magnefine filter in the middle of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back