ProMotive PH195 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
Here is the filter from my brother's '04 SXT. He got his oil changed at JiffyLube. Looks pretty good for a 7k OCI. He did however rack up those miles in less than 3 months. I'm surprised they used such a good filter for a $20 special.

opmys6.jpg

6j0f0y.jpg

352hkbt.jpg

30mll08.jpg

2d5opu.jpg

1gk6rq.jpg

14uvps8.jpg

I saw the ProMotive line at a WalMart in Dorion, Quebec.

I figured just by looking at them they are probably the same as the Puro Classic.

But, they are all less than $3!!!

I still don't see the point in trying to save $4 on an oil filter, and I need a silicone ADBV in my application so that rules out any cheapie filters.

I still plan on sticking with Wix, but it is nice to see a great deal for those with older cars.

Last edited:
Yep, Purolators are a good value, made in
34.gif
vs junk Chinese knockoff filters often used at quickie lube joints.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
I'm surprised they used such a good filter for a $20 special.

Says rignt on the filter "by Purolator" - basically a Purolator Classic. The Jiffy Lube probably paid less than a dollar each for those filters in bulk.

We use the same filter for our $17.95 and every other lof we do at the shop. GY just recently switched their parts supplier from CQ to NAPA/AAP based on location. We use AAP and these are our stock filters.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
I'm surprised they used such a good filter for a $20 special.

Says rignt on the filter "by Purolator" - basically a Purolator Classic. The Jiffy Lube probably paid less than a dollar each for those filters in bulk.

Like I said, a great filter.

Looks great. Puro makes great entry level filters. I wonder if the media on the ProMotive is as efficient as the Classics?

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

ProMotive is the Advance Auto commercial accounts oil filter. It is likely identical to Group 7 oil filters, websites look nearly identical. When G7 last posted and an efficiency spec on the website it was ~94%>20um, it would be similar to the QS and the old Advance Total Grip. Only minor negative is a number of applications are consolidated to the smallest size that fits. On the plus side, it's made in the US.

A decent filter for quickee lube use, and I would prefer it to the Wally TLE line currently in use.

Thanks for the pics.

People in the habit of using quik lube places should be paying attention to the brands of filters being used and to posts like this. So many of the quik lube places use no-name filters whose source and quality cannot be traced. They might be fine or not. Here is one it looks like you could count on.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
People in the habit of using quik lube places should be paying attention to the brands of filters being used and to posts like this. So many of the quik lube places use no-name filters whose source and quality cannot be traced. They might be fine or not. Here is one it looks like you could count on.

Excellent point. A lot of places like Firestone are spinning on bulk ecores, you can do better even if you're not willing to do it yourself!

Unfortunately for many older folks or the disabled that are unable to diy, quick lubes or indy's may be their only option. In this case the ProMotive is a solid filter for those folks.

As for Firestone, it appears that now the Wally TLE is the same except for brown/black texture for the benefit of Wally TLE installers. That said, having used an STP S2808 with classic construction, the non ecore applications seem acceptable. The ecore applications using a combo valve is another discussion.

I will say the 7k done in 3 months is helpful as moisture and condensation is less a factor with this type of oci.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
People in the habit of using quik lube places should be paying attention to the brands of filters being used and to posts like this. So many of the quik lube places use no-name filters whose source and quality cannot be traced. They might be fine or not.

And that's probably where some of these KIAs & Hyundais come up with their engine ticks, etc. Who knows if some of these lube places are using some crazy cheap Chinese knock-off/counterfeit oil filters that don't flow well at all.

Great looking filter! I haven't opened a puro classic I didn't like yet and will continue to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back