Marvel Mystery Oil In Tranny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else ever put Marvel Mystery Oil in there Tranny???

I did put a 8 ounces in mine and I have a HONDA ACCORD V6

It says on the bottle that Marvel Mystery Oil will make your Transmission run cooler.

However when I put mine in I have done several drain and fills since.

However Im asking does anyone here put Marvel Mystery Oil in there tranny?

Honda owners or any other vehicles ?

I know some people say watch out for trans cleaners aka Snake oil for your tranny b/c it can clean it and cause junk to clog up some vital areas.. but read what some say.

I have read quotes like this.

Marvel Mystery Oil in the transmission without any problems. Use no more than 16 ounces. It will dissolve any sludge or varnish and keep it in suspension until you change your transmission fluid

If you are planning on adding anything to your transmission other than tranny fluid look into Lubegard products.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If you are planning on adding anything to your transmission other than tranny fluid look into Lubegard products.

If DP is saying this then I for one would follow his advice.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

+2 Lubeguard makes very good products as does BG products and LM.

Putting a solvent, no matter how mild, in your transmission doesn't strike me as a great idea. It isn't like it is getting gummed up with combustion byproducts.

And in this case, with Honda's rather sketchy reputation for automatic transmission reliability behind their V6 engines I would be doubly worried of something going afoul.

IMHO of course.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
I dont want to cause an alarm,
but i'd drain the fluid immediately and put Honda WP-1 in there.

Um... Its Honda DW-1 ATF Dude.

To the OP, Transmissions are sensitive to fluids, flushes, cleaners, and any solvent.
I'd do at least 1 D+F with just plain DW-1 at earliest convienence.

How many quarts does the tranny hold. If more than 3 quarts then 8 ounces mixed in isn't really a big deal as far as possible solvent damage however if the tranny had alot of build up,and the mmo cleans it up it all goes into the fluid. If there isn't a filter then it may be wise to flush the tranny and put clean fluid in it.
If the unit has significant deposits the mmo may loosen something and cause a serious problem.
And flushing all the fluid if its never been done before could open a whole new world of hurt.
Transmissions are kinda mystical. I've seen trucks that never got the fluid changed and 300000kms later someone decides to do a flush then suddenly the tranny fails. And then there's some that fail even when maintained properly.
I've got a friend who is a tranny expert. This guy is something else.
Anyways he said to me that if the tranny fluid hasn't been changed by 100000kms he said dont change it,at least not all at once. No more than 25% of total fluid capacity tops,then drive 1000kms and do it again. Repeat until the fluid in the tranny looks new again and not burnt or darkened.
He says most of the trannies he rebuilds are from people doing a full flush,usually from a shop selling the flush special type deal on high mile transmissions that have never seen a fluid replacement.
The new fluid loosens up layers of varnish that plug up those small valve bodies or whatever and cause damage.
He says on trannies that have been properly maintained this is a non issue because the insides won't have any deposits that can potentially cause problems but neglected ones need to be done with fluid swaps and only a few litres at a time,so that the deposits are cleaned slowly and the fluid can dissolve them rendering them harmless. I'm sure it was never more than 25% of the total fluid capacity be removed and replaced at one time,then ample miles,then repeat.
This method never introduces too much new fluid that could potentially try to attack deposits.
He has a great rep and I respect his opinion.q It also makes sense. Especially if there isn't a filter. Even if there is a filter who says a chunk doesn't come loose in the middle of the system somewhere plugging something and it never eats to the filter.
Now if your tranny has been properly maintained with prior fluid drains then I doubt the mmo will cause any harm because there will be very limited deposits to begin with right,but if its a neglected unit then slow and steady with fluid transfers and forget the flush type products.

I've used many solvent type flushes before and even used kerosene,diesel and acetone(not at the same time) in various engines.
I was never really concerned because nothing I had was vvt or mds equipped,which means the oil passages aren't pinholes and en if something did come loose it would dissolve fairly fast because of volume and pressure. An automatic transmission has thousands of tiny fluid passages and if flow is impeded somewhere in that system you could lose gears.
I gotta ask. Was there some kind of problem you were trying to address with the mmo or.............

How many quarts does the tranny hold. If more than 3 quarts then 8 ounces mixed in isn't really a big deal as far as possible solvent damage however if the tranny had alot of build up,and the mmo cleans it up it all goes into the fluid. If there isn't a filter then it may be wise to flush the tranny and put clean fluid in it.
If the unit has significant deposits the mmo may loosen something and cause a serious problem.
And flushing all the fluid if its never been done before could open a whole new world of hurt.
Transmissions are kinda mystical. I've seen trucks that never got the fluid changed and 300000kms later someone decides to do a flush then suddenly the tranny fails. And then there's some that fail even when maintained properly.
I've got a friend who is a tranny expert. This guy is something else.
Anyways he said to me that if the tranny fluid hasn't been changed by 100000kms he said dont change it,at least not all at once. No more than 25% of total fluid capacity tops,then drive 1000kms and do it again. Repeat until the fluid in the tranny looks new again and not burnt or darkened.
He says most of the trannies he rebuilds are from people doing a full flush,usually from a shop selling the flush special type deal on high mile transmissions that have never seen a fluid replacement.
The new fluid loosens up layers of varnish that plug up those small valve bodies or whatever and cause damage.
He says on trannies that have been properly maintained this is a non issue because the insides won't have any deposits that can potentially cause problems but neglected ones need to be done with fluid swaps and only a few litres at a time,so that the deposits are cleaned slowly and the fluid can dissolve them rendering them harmless. I'm sure it was never more than 25% of the total fluid capacity be removed and replaced at one time,then ample miles,then repeat.
This method never introduces too much new fluid that could potentially try to attack deposits.
He has a great rep and I respect his opinion.q It also makes sense. Especially if there isn't a filter. Even if there is a filter who says a chunk doesn't come loose in the middle of the system somewhere plugging something and it never eats to the filter.
Now if your tranny has been properly maintained with prior fluid drains then I doubt the mmo will cause any harm because there will be very limited deposits to begin with right,but if its a neglected unit then slow and steady with fluid transfers and forget the flush type products.

I've used many solvent type flushes before and even used kerosene,diesel and acetone(not at the same time) in various engines.
I was never really concerned because nothing I had was vvt or mds equipped,which means the oil passages aren't pinholes and en if something did come loose it would dissolve fairly fast because of volume and pressure. An automatic transmission has thousands of tiny fluid passages and if flow is impeded somewhere in that system you could lose gears.
I gotta ask. Was there some kind of problem you were trying to address with the mmo or.............

Boy, I wouldn't put any into a tranny without having installed an external filter. It's a fairly strong solvent and if the trans was gunky, it might break all that stuff loose all at once. Hard contaminants (metals) have a bad habit of lodging in coolers (it's a relatively low flow and pressure area) and often they are stuck there by oxidation residue (aka gunk, sludge, varnish, etc.) until they release. The solvent breaks this loose and sends a gram or two right back into the trans all at once. If there's a filter in place, it gets caught. If not, well, it depends on how much contaminant was released.

The time to worry would be:
a) if the trans had ever failed previously.. a scenario that lodges a lot of junk in the cooler (and why those inlines are installed by rebuilders).

b) If it's a high mileage that has never had a change since new. Same notation as above except it has all the built-in and break-in debris. Come to think of it, if I was going to change the oil in a high miles unit for the first time, especially if the fluid was showing signs of distress, I'd install a filter downstream of the cooler for the same reason. Even the new fluid might have enough detergency to break loose a lot of gunk.

If the trans was relatively clean, it's not likely much happened so don't take this as "Chicken Littleing." I commented as much for future readers as for you, David1.

FWIW, I have a bought-new 2000 Accord V6 built in the notorious era (no failure in 13 years and almost 100K miles) and think one needs to make very careful, well considered choices on these fragile and very oddball units (basically they are a hybrid with characteristic of both a manual and a automatic trans... hence their higher zinc levels than most ATFs) given their fragile reputation. MMO is a wild card IMO. In other words, I prefer to watch someone else experiment and benefit from their experience (good or bad) ( : < ). The only totally safe mod is external filtration IMO.

Quote:
Has anyone else ever put Marvel Mystery Oil in th[ei]r Tranny???

I did put a 8 ounces in mine and I have a HONDA ACCORD V6

It says on the bottle that Marvel Mystery Oil will make your Transmission run cooler.

Why ask us now after the fact and after you have committed the inexcusable?

Ask yourself, what chemical in MMO could possibly make a transmission run cooler?

If you don't have a background in chemistry, then go to the local community college and ask one of the local chemistry professors.

Isn't that what transmission coolers are designed for?

In our medical society where you take a majical pill for specific ailments, there isn't always that same thing available for machines.

YEah, but he did it in the fist place, hence the commentary. And remember, sometimes we are commenting as much for the next guy who reads it down the road as for the OP.

I don't think MMO would hurt a thing. I ve used it in the Transmission before also. Without incident. I actually put it a week before, I was going to change, to loosen things up. But I would not be aginst running it the entire change interval time either. I think MMO is a universal cleaner/lubricant, that has proven itself in the real world with many people as being benefical and universal in all applications. I have used it in about every motor and application from Transmissions to removing stickers with good results. That's why I love it. Its not a harsh cleaner and is a mild booster of detergents already in oil and fuels. I find it funny that some people will criticize it and say never add anything that will change the transmission fluid make-up, unless of course Lubegard makes it. Sounds like you have a firm belief in Lubegard, like I have a firm belief in MMO. You wouldn't use MMO and I wouldn't use Lubegard. Guess that's why they both are still in business.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I don't think MMO would hurt a thing. I ve used it in the Transmission before also. Without incident. I actually put it a week before, I was going to change, to loosen things up. But I would not be aginst running it the entire change interval time either. I think MMO is a universal cleaner/lubricant, that has proven itself in the real world with many people as being benefical and universal in all applications. I have used it in about every motor and application from Transmissions to removing stickers with good results. That's why I love it. Its not a harsh cleaner and is a mild booster of detergents already in oil and fuels. I find it funny that some people will criticize it and say never add anything that will change the transmission fluid make-up, unless of course Lubegard makes it. Sounds like you have a firm belief in Lubegard, like I have a firm belief in MMO. You wouldn't use MMO and I wouldn't use Lubegard. Guess that's why they both are still in business.

To be fair though, Lubeguard is just an ester-based "booster" for ATF, it isn't advertised or functional as a solvent. MMO is.

MMO boosts "detergency" the same way dumping dunk engine degreaser into a sink of dishes already soaking in Dawn would. Yes, both are cleaning the grease, but a solvent is much harsher than a detergent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back