brake cleaner: chlorinated or non-chlorinated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tempest
You'll be happy to know though that I buy the chlorinated

I would have bet the farm on it.

I'm in CA, and it's all non-chlorinated here. It used to be that CRC red and green cans were different, one was chlorinated and the other was not. But now, at least in CA, both colored cans are non-chlorinated.

Chlorinated is non flammable, it is safe(r) for plastic parts. It is what was known as "Electrical parts cleaner" or "TV tuner cleaner" back when TVs used mechanical tuners.

Non chlorinated is a flammable petroleum distillate based cleaner. It is very flammable. It can dissolve plastic parts.

At my local NAPA, they go through CRC chlorinated by the case (red can). They told me all the mechanics here use chlorinated because it works better. Personally, I don't see a difference in effectiveness, but the smell is more tolerable in non-chlorinated.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
Personally I think they both stink and give off noxious fumes. I avoid em whenever possible.

When I was still an apprentice, after doing oil changes, I used to hose down all of the residual oil with (non-chlorinated) brake cleaner. Now I just use rags. That stuff stinks and can't be good to inhale.

Chlorinated brake cleaner is bad for your health and bad for the environment. Non-chlorinated works just as well at removing grease and oil.

Just another reason I'm thinking about getting out of the automotive field. Too much exposure to chemicals/harmful dust/etc

How many old timer ex-mechanics do you personally know? I don't know any, they're all dead. If the environmental (shop) toxins don't get em', the drinking, cigarettes, or fast food will. Most mechanics that I've worked with or know live pretty hard.

WUSSY!

Bob

The whole point of brake cleaner is one is not hosing air all over all that asbestos dust. So instead one gets a river of brown goop that flows out and dries on the garage floor or drip pan if you've planned ahead.

I've taken to using brake cleaner for starting fluid on my obstinant garden equipment. But I still have some ether for old time's sake.

At least with the CRC brand, the chlorinated is cheaper...per ounce.

Next time at the store, check the identical sized/priced green and red cans. The chlorinated contains 19 oz.. The non-chlorinated contains only 14 oz..

at work we use non chlorinated because you cant get the chlorinated in the used oil container. i like to buy the red cans for home because they weigh 1.2 lbs? instead of 14 oz for non chlorinated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back