Changed Spark Plugs in Volvo V70

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished changing spark plugs for 2006 Volvo V70 2.4L engine.

The spark plugs were Bosch 4303 FGR7DDP Platinum +2. Bosch website recommends 7401 FGR7DQE 1 Multi-Ground. I installed Champion Champion RC12WYPB4 Iridium plugs just bought few days ago.

The condition of all 5 Bosch Platinum +2 plugs were the worst I ever seen. The wrong plugs were used for long long time. I had to use breaker bar to loosen the plugs, was glad that none was broken. The engine seems to run much smoother than before.

I don't know who installed the Bosch +2 plugs in the car, how could that person use totally wrong plugs is hard to understand.

PS Like anytime I work on the car, something went wrong. This time I dropped the torx bit in the engine bay and could not find it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oldhp
What were the suggested factory plugs?

33.gif

The Volvo owner manual recommends Champion RC8PYP-8. Could not find anyone carries it. It may not exist, and it's possible that Volvo manual made an error.

I looked at Champion website and it recommends: RC12PYC Single Platinum, RC12PYP Double Platinum and RC12WYPB4 Iridium/Platinum.

Rockauto specifies 2 types of plug for 2006 V70, 1 for CA engine and difference plug for other states.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The Volvo owner manual recommends Champion RC8PYP-8. Could not find anyone carries it. It may not exist, and it's possible that Volvo manual made an error.

I looked at Champion website and it recommends: RC12PYC Single Platinum, RC12PYP Double Platinum and RC12WYPB4 Iridium/Platinum.

Rockauto specifies 2 types of plug for 2006 V70, 1 for CA engine and difference plug for other states.

I remember my '95 Integra manual specified Nippondenso PK20PR-L13. Couldn't find them anywhere. I could find the PK20PR-L11, but not the L13 gapped specifically for the GS-R application. I found them as the factory plug in my car. When I talked to an independent shop, they said they'd get the L11 and just regap, even though the manual recommended against it. That was one of those weird things.

I saw the Volvo manual online, and it says that Champion plug or its equivalent. I would never go with Bosch plugs for anything unless the manufacturer gave a specific model number as an OEM application. I've heard too many horror stories about Bosch plugs going bad, melting away, etc.

NGK or Denso might be a decent choice. If it's not that hard to access, and you might even try using standard plugs changed more often (maybe 15-30K miles). Only a few engines absolutely require platinums, and most spark plug manufacturers list a standard plug as an option for your engine. You've got an inline 5 I believe, and it should be a breeze to access the plugs from the top. I won't even try with a V6 or the funky layout on my Subaru.

Assuming your car still has the factory hood, the decal there would be your best reference for finding the OEM spark plugs.

When in doubt, go to the dealer. I never bothered with aftermarket plugs on my R, always got the little Hot Wheels pack from Volvo for less than any of the aftermarket ones cost anyway.

Vikas, You're right. The under hood decal should have the specified spark plug for the car, be it CA car or other states.

I think that owner manual should be the bible for spark plug too, but in this case it isn't.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Assuming your car still has the factory hood, the decal there would be your best reference for finding the OEM spark plugs.

I had a sticker on the underside of my car's hood with all the emissions info for my car. The body shop that replaced the hood after a collission didn't replace the sticker. I bought one, but it's still in my glove box somewhere.

So it might be possible that this info isn't there.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
When in doubt, go to the dealer. I never bothered with aftermarket plugs on my R, always got the little Hot Wheels pack from Volvo for less than any of the aftermarket ones cost anyway.

I saw a how-to guide to plug changes on a V70, and the photos they had were of plugs labeled "VOLVO".

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

I saw a how-to guide to plug changes on a V70, and the photos they had were of plugs labeled "VOLVO".

all the ones I ever changed on the R were branded VOLVO. Now who made them for Volvo I couldn't tell you, but they were made in Germany. I have a bunch of spare parts for the R so I will go digging through and see what they say.

I've stuck with Volvo...they work great, last a long time and are iridium...now, could I save a few $$ with other brands (Bosch)? Maybe...but if just one set of the aftermarket caused issues, it would be no savings...I just did the plugs on the T5..and used Volvo...

Volvo doesn't make spark plugs, it's made by big spark plug companies. Volvo hard copy OM and online OM both recommend Champion RC8PYP-8, Champion website doesn't have it and has RC8PYP4 but not recommend for 2006 Volvo V70. Champion recommends Single Platinum RC12PYC, Double Platinum RC12PYP and Iridium RC12WYPB4.

If Volvo recommends Champion plug X for 2006 V70 then Champion website should have current recommendation for Volvo, I think. That why I bought Champion Iridium RC12WYPB4.

I installed the plugs in the car few nights ago, the engine ran much smoother than before. The main reason was wrong plugs were used (Bosch Platinum +2).

Another reason was I bought 5 Champion Iridium RC12WYPB4 plugs for less than $2 shipped (after rebate). If it's wrong plug then I will be out $2.

If Volvo manual recommends wrong plug, how can I trust that dealer will have correct plug ?

Any way, I'm happy that I changed the plugs in the Volvo.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If Volvo manual recommends wrong plug, how can I trust that dealer will have correct plug ?

Any way, I'm happy that I changed the plugs in the Volvo.

It does also say "or equivalent". It should be obvious that the factory plugs were not Champions, but rather whatever European-made plugs installed by Volvo at the factory. I'd trust that whatever the dealer sold was the correct equivalent. A lot of people have had success with decent aftermarket plugs for Volvos such as NGK or Denso.

I checked the UK owner's manual for the 2006 V70, and it doesn't even specify a brand. All it specifies is a plug gap.

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/sales-services/services/owners-information/v70/pages/v70-my06.aspx

Hello, As an owner of the same 5 cylinder engine for ~10 years I can tell you that using a little copper anti-seize on the threads is ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED. Read the first post in this thread if you need a memory jogger.

I'm off the info hook regarding spark plugs because I have only had the non-turbos. Volvo's 5 pack of 3 pronged plugs is the bomb.

The people who know all about aftermarket plugs can be found at IPDUSA, Eeuroparts and FCPGroton. All are dot coms and have toll free numbers. All are good people. Kira

I already installed Champion Iridium RC12WYPB4, the engine is much responsive and idle much smoother.

No, I didn't use any anti-seize on the threads. May be next year when I inspect one and if it is hard to remove I then will apply anti-seize on the threads for all 5 plugs.

Also, I siphon old dark brown ATF and fill with Volvo ATF, each time I was able to siphon 4 quarts with Mityvac 7201, after new 8 quarts ATF was in the transmission is much smoother now, but I still have 4 quarts to fill. By then about 90% is new.

Bosch platinums have a sorded history in these cars. The Bosch copper core plugs are OK though. I'm currently using Volvo-branded platinums as they were a dealer gift. +1 on Kira's comment regarding anti-seize.

Good you're paying attention to it. Old brown ATF is a sign of neglect from the prior owner. I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and keep an eye on it. So far, so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back