Recommended oil for 90 5L Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys-yes,I thought wt referred to the weight of the oil,not specific to winter. No oils are on sale here in Ontario so I can pretty well go with whatever. Besides, it will be one oil change per year anyways.

Originally Posted By: Striker
Where can I get M1 0w40 here in ontario, and what are some differences between it and gc?

Canadian Tire, Partsource and Walmart all carry it. It is slightly heavier (HTHS) than GC, but has a higher VI.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Canadian Tire, Partsource and Walmart all carry it. It is slightly heavier (HTHS) than GC, but has a higher VI.

Or, go to the Imperial Oil distributor and save an easy $2 a litre right off the bat.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Or, go to the Imperial Oil distributor and save an easy $2 a litre right off the bat.

If going to imperial oil anyways the devlac elite 222 0w-30 is a great oil. I would have no issues with yearly changes with that oil. And I'm pretty sure its cheaper than M1.

Originally Posted By: Garak
OVERKILL said:

[/quote

Never heard of, or knew you could do something like that?

Very easy, Striker. Go to the Imperial Oil website and you should be able to locate the closest bulk distributor. The last time I spoke to them, it was $9 plus a bit of change per litre, which is cheaper than either WM or CT unless they have a sale. Other grades, particularly those that are available in larger package sizes, are cheaper still.

The same procedure noted above also applies for any SOPUS products, using the Shell website to find their distributors. If you happen to like Castrol, you'll have to find a Wakefield distributor.

Hey welcome to the Fox Body 5.0 club! I have an 88 5.0 LX that I've owned for 13 years now (101K miles). Since I bought my car I've ran Castrol GTX High Mileage 5W30 (a little thicker oil than most 5w30). The engine is all stock and only driven during the summer. I had my valve covers and lower intake off a few years ago to fix a couple of oil leaks and my lifter valley was extremely clean. Also had the timing cover off not too long ago and it was also very clean. I change the oil in the spring and always use an FL1A Motorcraft filter. 1 month before storage I replace the oil and simply keep the same filter (only drive ~1500 miles/year). Many will say it's a bit of a waist of oil and should just change it out 1 per year but for an extra $20, I'm not going to worry about it. I don't see a reason to run anything more than 30W, especially if it's a healthy motor with good oil presure (confirm with mechanical gauge). Enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
Thanks Mauro- I know these engines are stout!

Penzoil Platinum just went on sale today and was wondering what you guys think about this oil for this old school application? I've used it in the past with no issues, just wanted to know if I should go with this, or get something else?

The dipsticks on these cars are way off. Many owners with the same engine just say to put 5L's of oil and that is more than safe.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Striker
I still have to do that heater core and ac condenser removal we talked about lol!

LOL! Keep me posted
smile.gif

Rt6 is a thin 40weight and a fine synthetic. That would be my choice in your 5.0 if I felt I needed a higher end synthetic. Only prob. Is it come in gallon jugs so you would need an extra quart. Qsud comes to mind as an equal to any other synthetic off the shelf that's great and better priced.

Assuming the engine is sound I wouldn't use anything more than M1 5W-30 High Mileage(if you're really anal go with the 0W-40)...

I drag raced a 5.0 T-Bird and learned that thick does slow one down... Neighbor gave me some 20W-50 Amzoil and car lost approx .2 sec in the 1/8 mile... After a month or so and a couple weekends racing I drained that stuff...

I'll be changing the oil in it next week I hope.

Last time I used 10W30 Synpower and a Purolator filter. Is a motorcraft unit better for what I need? What is QSUD?

Right now, I have a local sale on Castrol Edge w/ Titanium. Never used or heard of this stuff before. I've been away from this site for a while.

Also have PP on sale, only in 5W30.

I read on here that this oil has lots of detergents in it that would help especially if you don't know the cars previous OCI.

Would this be better than the Castrol Edge Titanium?

Striker, you can't go wrong with PP (read many good things about it on this site). I use it in both my CRV and Odyssey for many years and on sale at Canadian Tire quite often (saw 5L jug for $27.99+tax a couple of weeks ago). Like I said on an earlier post, I've been using GTX High Mileage on my 88 5.0 for ~15 years now and my lifter valley+timing chain area were crazy clean when I was doing some maintenance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back