Options for 5W50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember many years ago buying Pennzoil 5w50. I also used Elf 5w50. There is also Penrite 0w50 if you can get that. These days however I would not look any further than Mobil 1 5w50.

Last edited:
Motorcraft 5w50 seems to be formulated to fulfill Ford's need for a low-zddp 50-weight oil to help with cat life and still have an oil that can be used year-round. QSUD 5w50 is the only other 50-weight on the market that meets Ford's spec. MC 5w50 is very shear prone, and there is a lot of information on the Mustang sites documenting it. If you run your car on the street for 1500 miles, MC 5w50 becomes a 40-weight. If you run your car hard on a racetrack, MC 5w50 becomes a 30-weight. My suggestion is to use either Redline or AMSoil 10w40. They start out with higher HTHS than the MC 5w50 has, and will not shear out of grade.

Last edited:
Got the same car. You probably got the recommendation for Amsoil 10w40 from the guy on svtperformance. After reading some of his threads i plan on using the Amsoil also as Motorcraft shears to a 30 weight in like 2500 miles where as the Amsoil stays a 40. So even if they did an oil analysis in the event of a problem it would show an acceptable grade.

Pretty sad that Motorcraft shears down to a 30 weight, even more pathetic is the fact that it does in a car that takes 8qt's

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supercity
I remember many years ago buying Pennzoil 5w50. I also used Elf 5w50. There is also Penrite 0w50 if you can get that. These days however I would not look any further than Mobil 1 5w50.

Not available in the US. For the longest time, the one 5W-50 that was commonly sold in the US was Castrol Syntec around the 1990s. Not sure how equivalent it was to their oil sold elsewhere in the world. Apparently they still have a 5W-50 for sale in the US.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Interesting how the very same engine "requires" heavier viscosity oil for hard use!

I've been beating that drum for years. People that live in hot climates, tow, race, or drive like me can often see improvements in UOA results and real world engine lifespan improvements by using a heavier viscosity oil.
Someone will be along shortly to explain why using anything other than 5w-20 in a coyote is foolish even though the exact same engine specs 5w-50 if you choose certain vehicle options.

If your car is brand new,are oil changes free during the warranty period? If not,I`d just buy MC by the case at your nearest Ford dealer and change it yourself at home. Don`t let the dealer do your oil changes unless they`re free.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
My new 2014 Mustang requires 5w50 sue to the Track Pack option. So far I have seen besides the Motorcraft factory fill, Redline and Mobil Rally Formula. Are there any other options out there? I know there are recommendations for Amsoil 10W40 on the Mustang pages. I want to keep something with the Ford approval. The specified OCI is 10,000 miles and I will probably go with a 5k OCI as the 10k scares me. I will use a MC FL-500S filter.

The car supposedly has the BOSS 302 oil cooler assembly but I have to put it on a lift to verify when I install the Laguna Seca brake cooling ducts, Stoptech braided lines, and FRPP trans cooler scoop. I was considering getting the 12qt BOSS 302R oil pan at some point if I start taking the car to more track days.

The only approved oil as far as I'm aware aside from Motorcraft is the Quaker State 5w-50.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: supercity

Not available in the US. For the longest time, the one 5W-50 that was commonly sold in the US was Castrol Syntec around the 1990s. Not sure how equivalent it was to their oil sold elsewhere in the world. Apparently they still have a 5W-50 for sale in the US.

Yes, Castrol does have a 5W-50, II've got some in the garage right now. It's their "classic car formula" and has a boat load of zinc for flat tappet engines. I use it in my ATVs, but I wouldn't use it for this application.

All of the recommendations being made here are great oils, but that doesn't change the fact that they don't meet Ford's spec. The only two oils that meet spec are Motorcraft 5W-50 and QSUD 5W-50. I wouldn't use anything but one of those two while under warranty.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The Track Pack is indeed the Coyote motor, but with some changes. Follow the 5w50 recommendation.

The changes are better radiator and an oil cooler. Things that would help thinner oil. If 5w-20 is optimal in a GT, it would even be better in a Track Pack GT.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Don't you get a good price on Motorcraft oil?
wink.gif

I assume your service dept doesn't get 5W50 in bulk, so you might scavenge the half quarts left from changes? Or those probably dissapear into a techs old Ranger
laugh.gif

They don't offer it in bulk. Employee cost is still around $8 a quart, even with all the strings pulled in my favor.

I have some time to ponder this as on the way to work this morning a guy ran a red and hit my car. Damage isn't too terrible, I will need a wheel and an inner and outer tie rod. Fender and bumper look like they should be able to be repaired. The worst part is I get a V6 Challenger for a rental.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Hit your new car!? I'm sure for a moment or two the guy was not too far away from getting sent to the hospital....

He was bigger than me, but I have bigger guns haha. I stayed calm and let the police handle everything. Already got a call from his insurance wanting me to admit fault so they could proceed further. When I told them I had already called my insurance to get the ball rolling she asked "so by calling your insurance you admit you were 100% at fault." I responded with "no I work in the industry, hence me having AAA and not trusting Progressive at all, plus I want my car fixed as soon as possible"

I would definitely run an oil that meets the spec at least through warranty. After that I'm sure any of the other flavors mentioned will serve you well.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
We have been using Schaeffer 5W-50 in M-series BMWs for years with excellent results. These engines call for Castrol TWS 10W-60.

Any UOAs? Interesting choice.

Motorcraft 5W-50...sorry you got hit...I rue the day when stop signs and red lights will be considered even more of a "suggestion" than they already are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back