Power steering fluid change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power steering is fine, but fluid has never been changed.. Tech at dealer recommends changing every 3 yrs. Cost will be about 90 to 115 depending on where I go.. Is htis something I can do on my own?

Thanks

Yeah, it's a good idea to change it--and it's very easy to do yourself. Here's a good tutorial: LINK

It's really easy on most all Hondas. You'll need 3 bottles of Honda's PS fluid, which was $6.00 from the dealer. $18.00 sounds better than >$100.00 to me. I'd stick with the Honda PS fluid.

power steering is the most neglected part of the vehicle that video is [censored] just suction out all the fluid in the tank and add new fluid do it a few times...

Originally Posted By: stockrex
that video is [censored] just suction out all the fluid in the tank and add new fluid do it a few times...

Sure, if you want to waste both time and fluid, all while getting out less of the old fluid, do it your way...

Some systems are prone to getting air in them, but this car isn't one of them. You can do a full flush getting out almost all of the fluid in about 10 minutes on this car. Suctioning out the fluid is great for preventative maintenance on a regular basis, but when the fluid has been in there this long, getting it all out seems like a good idea to me.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: stockrex
that video is [censored] just suction out all the fluid in the tank and add new fluid do it a few times...

Sure, if you want to waste both time and fluid, all while getting out less of the old fluid, do it your way...

Some systems are prone to getting air in them, but this car isn't one of them. You can do a full flush getting out almost all of the fluid in about 10 minutes on this car. Suctioning out the fluid is great for preventative maintenance on a regular basis, but when the fluid has been in there this long, getting it all out seems like a good idea to me.

Bad idea. Its better if the fluid has over 100000 miles to change it out a gallon at a time,every 1000 miles or so.
I can't say exactly why but when doing a complete flush on a tranny with questionable fluid changes I've always had problems develop,but if I change the fluid out in stages I've not had any tranny problems.
My friend has a shop. He is a tranny guy. He says if the fluid isn't changed before 100000 miles then don't change it at all. He says most of his business comes after the customer does some kind of super flush on a high mile tranny that hasn't had consistent maintenance.
He says they leak,the clutches and solenoids don't function properly.
Since its his business I believe him. His routine regardless of manufacturer is 50000kms drain and fills. If longer than that he says do a gallon at a time every 1000kms

Turkey baster it. I use a giant syringe designed for favor injection from a kitchen store.

Plenty of cars go forever on the FF.

If you're comfortable working on the vehicle the drain will get more dirty fluid out but not necessary imo.

Either method is better that how most get treated. When the rack needs replacing they will flush it for you then.

are the shift solenoids in the power steering going to break? You're talking about very different systems.

Turkey baster method, no chance for air and probably the easiest fluid change you can do.

I noticed a big difference going to a synthetic when it got really cold out, no whining or groaning. Talking > -25C

Originally Posted By: Cold_Canuk
Turkey baster method, no chance for air and probably the easiest fluid change you can do.

I noticed a big difference going to a synthetic when it got really cold out, no whining or groaning. Talking > -25C

I would be the one whining or groaning if it was that cold out where I live.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
Power steering is fine, but fluid has never been changed.. Tech at dealer recommends changing every 3 yrs. Cost will be about 90 to 115 depending on where I go.. Is htis something I can do on my own?

Thanks

Honda fluid, turkey baster. Remove as much as you can, refill then repeat in 5k. Then just remove and refill every 25k and never worry.

I did it myself in a '95 Integra GS-R. I followed the directions in the factory service guide, which was to connect the fluid return hose to another hose. The only issue I had is that the instructions showed a drawing of the fluid being collected in an open wide mouth container, and if you do that it will splash all over the place. I used an empty motor oil bottle to collect and duct tape over a hose to the return hose and to the collection bottle.

The thing is that turning lock to lock to get the fluid out sounds like you're destroying the power steering pump. However, there's adequate residual fluid to protect it for the short period of time it takes to evacuate the fluid.

Total capacity is actually pretty low with most Honda compacts. Don't recall exactly how much, but my Integra used less than 3 12 oz bottles of Honda PSF-V.

One bit of irony is that when my car was stolen back in 2004, the only thing stolen under the hood was the power steering pump. I mean - someone stole a 9 year-old power steering pump in a car with over 135K miles on it.

I'm not sure how I'm going to do it with my 2004 WRX. I'll probably just use a turkey baster and Dexron ATF.

Turkey Baster, Honda PSF .... done. Initial exchange, keep repeating the process till you see fairly clear liquid being sucked out. After that maintenance exchange single time every 30~50k. 3 bottles were enough for me for the initial process. I also had a couple of empty coke bottles on hand for the old psf. Also mark the hot fluid level after a drive with a sharpie on the reservoir, makes it easy to eyeball the level during refills.

wow at that price I'd tackle it.
If all works fine, I'd do a baster full treatment about every OC until enough times has it looking new. Easy & gradual, and save bucks.

As others have commented, the turkey baster method works fine.
Suck out as much as you can, refill resevoir and reapeat until the fluid you suck out looks clean.
This may take 3 qts of PSF.
There are Honda compatible aftermarket PSFs for much less than the cost of Honda PSF.
I might use a couple of quarts of these and then switch to Honda Genuine if you're concerned about the fluid's performance in use.
As long as the viscosity is within the range, I doubt it'll matter.
After all, what's the viscosity of what's in there now after only a dozen years in service and how contaminated with wear metals is it?

I can't find the reservoir on my "12 Focus
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: eddy21
smirk.gif

Does it have electric power steering? You can usually tell electric power steering because it feels like you have hydraulic power steering with a mild case of "morning sickness" as from a worn out hydraulic power steering rack unit, but the sickness never goes away.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Originally Posted By: eddy21
smirk.gif

Does it have electric power steering? You can usually tell electric power steering because it feels like you have hydraulic power steering with a mild case of "morning sickness" as from a worn out hydraulic power steering rack unit, but the sickness never goes away.

Looked it up and that's what it is. A lot of drivers had no idea and though the hallmarks of electronic power steering (looseness at low speeds and tightness at high speeds) were some sort of problem.

I used to use the Turkey Baster until...........

I started using a long Shampoo Bottle (or equivalent) pump - it got down further & NO suction leak!!
thumbsup2.gif

Works much better!

I used to use the Turkey Baster until...........

I started using a long Shampoo Bottle (or equivalent) pump - it got down further & NO suction leak or dribble!!
thumbsup2.gif

Try it -- Works much better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back