Options for 5W50

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new 2014 Mustang requires 5w50 sue to the Track Pack option. So far I have seen besides the Motorcraft factory fill, Redline and Mobil Rally Formula. Are there any other options out there? I know there are recommendations for Amsoil 10W40 on the Mustang pages. I want to keep something with the Ford approval. The specified OCI is 10,000 miles and I will probably go with a 5k OCI as the 10k scares me. I will use a MC FL-500S filter.

The car supposedly has the BOSS 302 oil cooler assembly but I have to put it on a lift to verify when I install the Laguna Seca brake cooling ducts, Stoptech braided lines, and FRPP trans cooler scoop. I was considering getting the 12qt BOSS 302R oil pan at some point if I start taking the car to more track days.

Alot of people run the synthetic Castrol 5W-50.

If you're not tracking the car, a 30 grade or even 20 grade would be fine for that engine.

Another option if you would want to land in the middle somewhere is Mobil 0W-40 which would probably stand up to a little track abuse as well.

Originally Posted By: mount
Alot of people run the synthetic Castrol 5W-50.

If you're not tracking the car, a 30 grade or even 20 grade would be fine for that engine.

Another option if you would want to land in the middle somewhere is Mobil 0W-40 which would probably stand up to a little track abuse as well.

I want to keep to the 5W50 at least through the warranty period. I have tons of M1 0W40 and Pento 5W40 from when I had my R car. I would consider using that once the warranty is up.

Castrol Edge Syntec in the black bottle has a 5W-50. Pep-Boys carries it. I do not know the rating on it and I could not find the ratings on the Castrol web page. You could check on the bottle.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Castrol Edge Syntec in the black bottle has a 5W-50. Pep-Boys carries it. I do not know the rating on it and I could not find the ratings on the Castrol web page. You could check on the bottle.

Next time I am in a city with a Pep Boys I will check. I have an O'Reilly's corporate account and they don't carry it in store for me to check.

I was considering if I was going to do a few HPDE days on a single OCI, considering the climate at Buttonwillow and Willow Springs of trying Castrol TWS 10W60.

The car averages 14-16mpg so I have already thrown out the idea of eaking out more mpg from the thing.

Motorcraft 5w-50 is an excellent oil. There's no need to use anything else and you sure won't have any warranty questions about your choice of oil. The Valvoline oil that Roush uses is evidently an exact match with similar viscosity Motorcraft oil. One of the mechanics there said they come from the same refinery, something I would have never guessed.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

I think this is it.

(http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/Edge_BLACK_PDS_Sept_2011.pdf)

Mobil 1 has a new 0w-50 race oil out. Probably not great for the cats, but who really cares when it comes against engine protection? Other than that your only option is Eneos 0w-50 or castrol 5w-50.

I reckon Mobil 1 5W-50 would be a very good option. It's got a nice starting TBN of 11.8, is ACEA rated, has quite a few builder approvals and is slightly thinner than Motorcraft at operating temperature (17.5 cSt @ 100°C vs. 21 cSt @ 100°C).

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I want to keep something with the Ford approval

Your options are Motorcraft or QSUD 5W-50. As far as I know, nothing else meets WSS-M2C931-B.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I want to keep something with the Ford approval.

I went through this with a buddy who got a GT500. Aside from the Motorcraft, the only oil I could find with the correct viscosity and specification was the old version of Castrol Syntec 5w-50. The new versions no longer carry the Ford approval, at least when I last checked the bottles and the website.

Interesting how the very same engine "requires" heavier viscosity oil for hard use!

I've been beating that drum for years. People that live in hot climates, tow, race, or drive like me can often see improvements in UOA results and real world engine lifespan improvements by using a heavier viscosity oil.

I remember a couple of months ago another member bought the same car and was asking the same question. The consensus then was that only the Motorcraft stuff and QSUD 5W-50 had the official approval, with the QSUD being almost impossible to find anywhere.

Don't you get employee pricing on oil at your work?

Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
Mobil 1 has a new 0w-50 race oil out. Probably not great for the cats, but who really cares when it comes against engine protection? Other than that your only option is Eneos 0w-50 or castrol 5w-50.

It's not a matter of cat poisoning. The crazy ZDDP levels will cause a lot of other problems inside the engine.

Motul Sport 5w50 is an option. It's one of their new offerings.

Don't you get a good price on Motorcraft oil?
wink.gif

I assume your service dept doesn't get 5W50 in bulk, so you might scavenge the half quarts left from changes? Or those probably dissapear into a techs old Ranger
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back