Barum Bravuris 2 Any experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering these tires for my Mazda. I've got Falken 912's on now. I've heard good things from a few friends who have them on their Elantra.

They are sold through Discount Tire.

Does anyone have any experience with them? I understand they are made by a division of Continental.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm a long time Barum user. I had the Bravura, Bravuris and now Bravuris2. In case you didn't knew they are basically cheaper Continental.

Excellent tire for the price IMHO, the only drawback is that they tend to get noisy when you get to less than 4 mm of thread. The sidewalls are rather soft so don't expect any jaw breaking Kent Block maneuvers.

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
I'm considering these tires for my Mazda. I've got Falken 912's on now. I've heard good things from a few friends who have them on their Elantra.

Does anyone have any experience with them? I understand they are made by a division of Continental.

Thanks!

I see a lot of them at the u-pick junkyard i frequent. Not impressed with the tread designs, uneven wear, or the tearing and plugs I see. There is a reason that Continental will not put their name on them. . I have had falkens and they are good. If you want good , decent priced , long lasting foreign tires, try hankooks. I can't wear them out. I have some old optimo's on my corolla that I bought used , put another 50000 miles on , and 2 are still going.

So far so good on my Mazda.

A little noisy. More noise than the Dunlop Direzzas that preceded them. I remember the Fierce Instinct ZRs being a little noisier.

Wet traction is very good.

Overall, I would rate them as good as the General Exclaim UHPs that I had several sets ago. Similar sidewall/grip.

Can't find a country of origin. I am assuming that they are from Czech Republic.

My brother had it on his G20. It's a pretty generic all-season/touring tire. Nothing remarkable about it.

My sister has had barum bavaris' on her Echo for about 25k miles. No complaints, they have a little more road noise but overall, a good wearing, good handling budget tire.

I will, however, say that our other Echo has Fisk tires from discount, and we like their performance a little better, and Fisk is controlled by Michelin.

Last edited:
Hmmmm... Interesting responses. I use my car as a daily-driver.

In the past, I've had some high dollar performance tires on my Miata. They wore out quickly and rode hard. (Naturally).

There are trade-offs for sure. I've read more "good" reviews than bad and I know Discount Tire stands behind them.

They are made in the Czech Republic. Continental makes some very good tires. I can't see why these wouldn't hold up.

I can't see them being any worse than the Falken 912's I have on now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chad8

Thanks!

I see a lot of them at the u-pick junkyard i frequent. Not impressed with the tread designs, uneven wear, or the tearing and plugs I see. There is a reason that Continental will not put their name on them. . I have had falkens and they are good. If you want good , decent priced , long lasting foreign tires, try hankooks. I can't wear them out. I have some old optimo's on my corolla that I bought used , put another 50000 miles on , and 2 are still going.

If you are seeing them at a junkyard. Then maybe the same owner that didn't maintain their car, most likely didn't maintain their tires. No alignments, and other important suspension work. The Barum's are a budget tire.

Barum is a Czech tire company under the Continental group. Just like Kelly is under the Goodyear group, and Uniroyal is under the Michelin group.

I had a set of Barums on my Sentra 8 years ago. They were a very good budget tire. They were very good in the Northwest rain. They do wear out quickly. I would say the same for the many sets of Falkens I have had on my cars.

Thank you for your input Finklejag. It's becoming harder to find good tires in a 14" size. (Miata OEM).

Discount tire basically lists three tires for my car on their website. Falken, Barum, and Michelin. (In ascending order).

The Michelins' are almost twice the price of the Barum tires. Not only that, they are directional tires.

(Not that they aren't good tires) I don't want the Falken tires again. At this point, there's not a large selection.

Tire Rack carries some nice Sumitomo tires that are really inexpensive. Not sure if they would be worth the "Drop & Ship" hassle.

The Barums I had were made in France. I have owned Continental tires made in France before. The Barums were probably made in the same factory.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Can't find a country of origin. I am assuming that they are from Czech Republic.

That's where the Barum racing bicycle tubular tires were made (at least that's where they were made many years ago when I had them).

They are made in the Czech Republic.

I used to sell them some years ago - it seems they are made in all Continental factories. I've seen them marked as made in Czechoslovakia, Germany, France, South Africa, and when Continental took over Sime, in Malaysia. I had them on several cars and had a good run out of them, although the ones on my trailer are 2003, have practically no wear, but one has a sidewall bulge. Could be a faulty tyre, but my trailer gets loaded and dragged into rough terrain, and also gets borrowed too, so won't lay the blame to the brand.

Good to know. My friend has had them on their Hyundai for a long time. No problems. I think they are decent tires for the money.

I had a pair of those on a car that acted funny in the rain, they had at least 50% tread but would either skip over puddles, or bite into them violently. [censored] near killed me the first time it happened.

i got one last week
i usually go to the goodyear place for kelly explorers but i need another one and i'll get an edge. i got this due to a flat without a spare so i got it towed to discount tire (nearby) and got it
they had cheraper veento and another one but he said that wasn't safe for the snow whereas this one was
but im not satisfied as it's 75 total for a 45k tire
but will it last 45k? discount does give me a prorated warranty, though
how are they compared to kelly exploreres? and i'm ggetting a kelly edge next which i heard is much better than the explorer
i had my tread checked and the tire was new but only had 6/32 which isn't that great. why was it so low? it's nice and smooth and my noise which i thought was wheel bearing noise went away and the ride is nice but what if that's only for 20k? can i return the tire as dno't they have a 30day policy on returns/exchanges? there was a belle tire nearby that day of my emergency but they didn't have any good tires
another belle had a 65k sumitomo for 55 and about 80 installed, so i think that'd be a better choice. what do you say? return it and get the belle tire sumitomo or kelly edge or stick with this?

i'm not sure if i have a wheel bearing problem anymore but after getting one last week, the noise went away for the most part, which i had before when i had the worn tire
but now, when i go on the highway and i turn the wheel slightly to the left, i still hear a roaring noise but when going straight, i dno't hear it anymore. does that mean my wheel bearing is still bad or no?
see this thread
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3692651/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back