Inter dealer tranfer or direct to dealer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at purchasing a new car, but the color and trim I am looking for is not available at any local dealers. I did an expanded search on autotrader and found a couple of dealers 200-300 miles away in another state that have the exact trim and color I am looking for. Whats the best way of doing this ? Should I just approach the out state dealer directly and work out a deal ? Or should I go through a local dealer as apparently they can do some "inter dealer transfer" thing as well. What do you guys think I should do ?

Most dealers are not going to want to transfer a car in for you. Your local dealer would basically have to buy the car off them (or work a trade with something they already have), get it sent over, then sell it to you. That will inflate the price and slow things down.

I would just work out a deal with the dealer that has the car, then make the drive/one-way flight and bring it home.

Maybe on certain high demand vehicles this could be a problem, but I've never experienced a problem having a vehicle located. Most of my new vehicle purchases had to be driven in from another dealership. One was even out of state, but only ~160mi or so.

Worked out the deal first, then they located for me.

Try both ways, their is a local dealer by us that has no problem bringing a vehicle in. The sales lady says their policy is they rather make a sale even if the profit is a bit smaller than have you go pick it up at the selling dealer. They are a volume dealer though and move a lot of product.

OTOH the Chevy dealer closest to me thought the idea was insane.

Also look into just ordering the vehicle you want if your not in a rush. Those sales are real money makers for the dealers because they don't have to pay juice on the vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Most dealers are not going to want to transfer a car in for you. Your local dealer would basically have to buy the car off them (or work a trade with something they already have), get it sent over, then sell it to you. That will inflate the price and slow things down.

I would just work out a deal with the dealer that has the car, then make the drive/one-way flight and bring it home.

Dealers around here do it all the time. Why would a dealer want/need to stock every combination when they can swap with their neighbors?

The Chev dealer I bought my Uplander from (I did NOT want tinted glass) had the vehicle the following evening from 240 miles away for the same price as agreed.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Also look into just ordering the vehicle you want if your not in a rush. Those sales are real money makers for the dealers because they don't have to pay juice on the vehicle.

can you explain I didn't follow. 'order' from the manufacturer ? via the dealer ?

Yes, you know how you can go online and price a car out the way you want. You pretty much go to the dealer and say I want this car, order it for me. Shouldn't be any extra fees with that, but you get the exact car you want and you just have to wait for it to be built.

If it were me and I couldn't wait for the special order, I'd fly to the dealer 300 miles away, assuming it wasn't too far from a semi-major airport, and then drive it home. Good way to "break it in" your way.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

That's what My parents did in the fall of '98, when they bought mom's 99 Taurus.

the Short version is they ordered a specific car, and the dealer did a search and transferred it in from another dealer.

They talked to the local dealer, filled out an order sheet, and figured in a few weeks,they'd hear from the dealer that their car was in, fresh from the factory...

didn't take that long. a few days later the dealer calls, says they found the exact car we ordered, @ the ford dealer up in Port Clinton(up on Lake Erie), and were having it brought down. the next day they drove home a brand new 99 Taurus, with 126mi on the ODO.(roughly the distance from Port Clinton)

I have great success with local dealer and car traded out especially towards end of model year change.

This includes a car(2005 Legacy GT wagon manual) sold to me at invoice - $2000 rebates and exchanged with car 200 miles away. Car came with 270 miles brand new but what we wanted at excellent price.

One thing that is pretty cool about the dealer trade thing is the warranty mileage starts at whatever is on the odometer. So if you took delivery with the car at 126 miles and there is a 36k bumper to bumper, your warranty goes to 36,126 mi.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
One thing that is pretty cool about the dealer trade thing is the warranty mileage starts at whatever is on the odometer. So if you took delivery with the car at 126 miles and there is a 36k bumper to bumper, your warranty goes to 36,126 mi.

I don't believe that is true. Not for my Fords, nor my Infiniti. It was always 0-36k, 0-60k, 0-75k, regardless of the mileage when you took delivery. What does change is the start date, which is the date the car was put in service, which if a dealer demo could be different from your purchase date.

Id personally want to go there and get it myself. Ive seen the way that some of the transfer drivers treat the cars, and Id not want them driving my new automobile.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

I don't believe that is true. Not for my Fords, nor my Infiniti. It was always 0-36k, 0-60k, 0-75k, regardless of the mileage when you took delivery. What does change is the start date, which is the date the car was put in service, which if a dealer demo could be different from your purchase date.

That's not right. It should ALWAYS start from the mileage at delivery. I've had cars with 1XX miles on them at delivery and that begins everything and the odometer statement you/they sign is a legal document.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id personally want to go there and get it myself. Ive seen the way that some of the transfer drivers treat the cars, and Id not want them driving my new automobile.

I've gotten several cars through dealer trade. Though it can be nerve-wracking there's not much damage that can be done with modern engines, plus it's not like Johnny Boy is going to get miles of open highway to top it off on any drive.

One thing I'd caution of: if you pursue it with the dealer that currently has the vehicle and the other can give you a better deal, the dealer with the car might not want to part with it since they think there's a lead on it. Suddenly a hard-to-find color becomes nearly impossible.

I'd negotiate the best deal possible with the place near you on a vehicle they have in stock and then politely say, gosh I really want to do it but I need X color to really be happy, and be willing to leave and let them think about it for a few days. Odds are they want your business badly enough to get you the exact car you want. Plus then when you take it in for service you will have bought the vehicle there (which shouldn't matter but it's nice to say).

I did a dealer transfer when I bought my first Civic in 2011. I had no issues, and I did not have to go out of town and deal with another dealer for it.

Some people care about their car getting driven, I did not. It was only 200KM.

If you can just order the car you want from the factory and have it go to your local dealer. Or have them flatbed a trade.

When purchasing my new Explorer I tried the local trade thing twice. First dealer said he could get the one I wanted in the color I wanted. After waiting a week he called saying he could no longer get it.

Second said the same, then he could get the one we wanted. 10 days later he could not but could get a blue one which was fine. Waited 4 days and got a call the transport driver wrecked the SUV in transit and we could a) have it repaired and take it (NO WAY) or b) take a white one they had on the lot.

I ended up just going to a 3rd dealer who just happened to have the one I wanted delivered earlier that day, worked out great. People say dealers trade all the time but IMO not worth the hassle and worry.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Mine came with our 2005 Legacy GT getting 26.5 MPG which my wife has never done. Its a retiree who drove my wife's car. Warranty started at 270 miles.

We have 165,000 miles on the car and its been relatively trouble free till the 8yr/150k mark where a few things cropped up due to age(alternator, starter, ignition coil, leaky valve cover gasket).

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Make sure that buying one out of state does not break any rules. Here an out of state car can't be registered until it has 7500 miles regardless of age.

You do loose lemon law rights out of state potentially. Research. Your instate rules which are potentially better do not apply across lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back