Warhead candy causes mouth bleeding

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son told me this about himself. I couldn't believe it till I did some googling.
The pH of 1-2, comparable to battery acid.
Can someone tell me how this is legal to sell as safe to consume?
I had to have a man to man talk with my son.

This is on their own forum:

http://www.warheads.com/forums/viewthread/89327/

Last edited:
I had a few of these growing up. I remember the first time it was so sour I spat it out. Wasn't as bad the next time.

But no blood.

Yeah, I always remember after you ate 5 or 6 of them your tongue started to feel raw and would eventually bleed if you continued to eat them without flushing your mouth with some water. Sour patch kids will lead to these same symptoms if consumed excessively just like most sour candies.

When I was a kid we used to see how many we could tolerate at one time. Never had any real issues eating them somewhat regularly. They were a fun candy.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Eating one is not going to cause a problem. Eat enough of anything and it will cause problems.

Originally Posted By: cchase

Eating one is not going to cause a problem. Eat enough of anything and it will cause problems.

This!

Right, blame the victim. Did you actually read the link I posted?

Here it is:

Quote:
I am a little ticked off at the warheads company right now my daughter ate two Extreme Sour Warheads and a huge chunk of her skin from the top of her tongue came off and left a whole there. I believe while a candy may be sour or sweet either way it should not cause the skin on your tongue or in your mouth to come off. What do you think ?

My son is also not a fatso eating only candies either, he just ate a couple. Now he knows not to touch it.
Kids are just kids.
Geez!

How do you come to a pH of 1-2 for what is a dry candy ?

Completely removed, do you realise the difference between 1 and 2, buffering capacity, and said reference to battery acid before ranting off ?

One of my favourite warhead moments was when we were building a hydrogen plant at work, one of my guys was going to tear a contractor a new alimentary canal. Just as we were about to commence, I handed him an apple warhead...which calmed him down for just long enough that we didn't destroy the relationship.

Candy? No thanks.

Not eating candy is one of the reasons why at nearly 70 I still have all of my own teeth and haven't had a cavity in decades.

Right, blame the victim. Did you actually read the link I posted?

Geez!

I actually did read the link. My guess is that the child sat with the candy in his mouth without doing anything. Doing that with any kind of sour candy can have the same effect as it's just sitting there without any fluid washing over it.

Should it be the governments responsibility to ensure that there's no possible way anyone could ever hurt themselves with anything they can buy, or is it the responsibility of the consumer to exercise some common sense?

Should it be the governments responsibility to ensure that there's no possible way anyone could ever hurt themselves with anything they can buy, or is it the responsibility of the consumer to exercise some common sense?

This is a product for kids. Kids don't have a common sense as their brains are not developed enough, duh!
There is a reason we don't sell firearms and explosives to kids.
I stand by my point this is a dangerous product.

There's a reason its ultimately the parents responsibility as to what kind of food their child has access. It's not the governments job to parent children because the parents don't feel like it.

I see that you are quite hard core on this. My son purchased that at a vending machine and ate them at school. He was outside my control. Should I sue the school?

Let me ask you a question. Do you have kids yourself?

Warheads candies helped me stay awake during Physical Therapy Tech school. Went through a 5 pound bag in just a few days (with a little help).

No more dangerous than any other candies. And yes I have 2 kids of my own.
smile.gif

I see that you are quite hard core on this. My son purchased that at a vending machine and ate them at school. He was outside my control. Should I sue the school?

Let me ask you a question. Do you have kids yourself?

I don't think you should sue anyone, nor do I think its the governments job to ban a candy just because it's possible in some scenario to cause a mouth sore.

I'm sorry you have a problem with people who don't think its the business of the government to keep everyone safe from any possible source of harm. I suppose you want pencils to be illegal as well, since it's possible to stab yourself or someone else with one. Children can't be trusted after all, their brains aren't fully developed as you said. So should pencils be illegal?

As Warheads themselves mention on the packaging:

Quote:
CAUTION: Eating multiple pieces at the same time or within a short time of each other may cause an irritation to sensitive tongues and mouth. This may vary from a slight irritation to a severe reaction depending on the individual.

It's not like your son wasn't warned.

If there was some looming, grave danger caused by just putting one in your mouth, they'd already have been banned. If I stuffed a dozen Twizzlers in my mouth and let them sit there for 5 hours I'm sure bad things could happen too, but is that my fault or whoever makes Twizzler?

I'm just trying to provide a reality check here...

I never witnessed this happened, but I knew some boys who ate them. It was just another contest to show that you were tougher than the other boys.

I just remembered breaking a tooth on some hard candy, when I was a kid. No warning on the package of any kind..

I'm calling my Lawyer in the morning!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back