Briggs and Stratton 5 hp Outboard Opinions??

Status
Not open for further replies.
10. Can I use my Outboard in salt and brackish water?
The Briggs & Stratton 5HP Outboard is designed for freshwater use. Salt and brackish water are extremely corrosive and can lead to premature failure of components. Such failures are not covered under the Briggs & Stratton limited warranty.

Above quote is taken from a link in a post above. Obviously less corrosion protection than most outboards.

It would probably do ok provided you rinsed it off after every saltwater use. It doesn't ingest water for cooling, so it's all just external contact.

Joel

All four stroke outboards under 6hp are single cylinder. The Yamaha 6hp is a two cylinder four stroke and a great choice, but pricey. The Briggs is a noisy at high speeds and really not too bad for putting along or trolling.

A friend has a new in 2009 B&S outboard. It is pretty much as loud as any outboard I've seen. If it was me, I'd go with the 4hp Tohatsu. I'd bet it performs as well as the B&S in power.

You can't beat Tohatsu. I know the (rare) places that rent boats/motors in my area typically carry Tohatsu. I've rented 9.9hp 2-strokes over the years. I was always amazed at the power they had compared to our old Johnson/Evinrudes. I could only imagine their 4-strokes are great as well.

Joel

FYI Nissan and Tohatsu are the same engine differing only in the paint/decals. The Mercury is also build by Tohatsu. I think the major mechanicals are identical, but Mercury differs in some small details, the shifter for example.

Ed

That's true Ed. I forgot about the Nissan/Tohatsu thing. Same engine, just different colors and labels. I know some years ago when I was pricing new 2-stroke 9.9's one of them was slightly less expensive, but I don't recall which one anymore (I *think* it was the Nissan).

Joel

Last edited:
I'll be purchasing a 4 hp this spring for a 12' wooden dory that I purchased from a friend who is a yacht builder (yes, it's gorgeous). I could probably get by with a 2.5 or 3.5, but at the 4 hp level you get a "real" outboard. Pressure fed lubrication, water cooled, full FNR transmission, through the prop exhaust, and an optional alternator for lights/battery charging.

I'm going to go with the Mercury version. I had a long talk with the manager of the marine department at the Lacey, WA Cabela's. Although they have the Nissan in stock, he recommended ordering the Mercury, mainly due to ease of getting parts and service(Mercury dealers everywhere as opposed to Nissan/Tohatsu). Also the Mercury is upgraded in few minor ways. Actually the reason for getting the Mercury over the others is the color. The blue of the Nissan/Tohatsu clashes with the colors of the boat.
55.gif

Back on topic, I looked at the Briggs and Stratton at Sportsman's Warehouse and it is nothing more than a lawnmower engine with a prop. It's pretty crude in comparison to the more expensive outboards. For occasional use in fresh water it might fit certain needs just fine.

Ed

Sounds like a mower mowing a really wet lawn!
lol.gif
I'm surprised they don't run an exhaust tube down into the water like the old 2-stroke air cooled Itasca engines (I think that's what they were called).

Joel

Correction; It was the tiny air cooled 2-stroke Tanaka/Gamefisher outboards that ran an exhaust pipe down into the water. In reality though, even with the Briggs 4-stroke, it's just intake noise and nature of air cooled engines that makes them noisy, more so than the exhaust.

Joel

Last edited:
I have a evinrude mate2. Year not sure, probably 60's. Starts and runs well when the adjustment are perfect spot one. I am sure the new onea are better but i would take a aircooled 4stroke anyday. We are on our thirf water pump in not a lot of years. That will ruin the day.

Ken

Check out Lehr company. They make a large selection of propane powered equipment.
My uncle and i are looking at a out board at Frank's outdoors linwood michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back