oil for 6.0 LS2 GTO? (Corvette owners pls post!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done some searching here, but didn't find many UOA for the LS2 engine. (Can the search engine be fixed so a 3 character search will work??)

I doubt there's many Goat (GTO) owners here -- what about you Corvette guys. I have a 2005 Pontiac GTO. Picked it up a few months ago with only 2,300 miles on it. Garage queen.

I drive it daily, about 7,000 miles on it now.

Once a year I usually do a HPDE. Last year I went to Mid Ohio in my SVT Contour.

Should I stick to PF46 filter, which I like?

Should I go with a thicker oil when I plan to track it (road course)? Any brand advice, besides using a 100% synth?
M1 0W-40 always treated me great in the Duratec V6 but that was a much different engine.

Mine's an M6 - day to day I shift at fairly low RPMs but on track day I don't hold back.

Thanks guys!
Brian D

I by no means own a vette or GTO, but an avid follower of the GOAT.(I saw a few for sale but out of my price range while shopping around).

The Delco filter your using should be fine, you could move up to a PureOne/NAPA/Wix filters. The M1/K&N filters are good but have less flow for more efficiency in filtering. Some people claim those type of filters make their cars wonky.

As far as oil anything that meets the specifications for the LS2 would work. I believe Mobil 1 is usually the first and foremost recommendation on the GTO forums.

Here is the maintenance section of the GTO Forums:
http://www.gtoforum.com/f3/

Just for ideas, but I am sure Patman and a few others will chime in with their recommendations.

I wouldn't go with an oil other than a great synthetic, but that is just me. My car has to deal with the heat of a turbo, but I'd still go with one regardless.

What spec must the GTO's oil meet?

The ACD filter is alright, but made out of house of course.
I'd for sure step up on a car like that though, as WIX or such won't be that much more expensive. If you go with a longer drain oil though, I might look for a comparable high quality, longer drain filter though...unless your filter is cartridge, not canister?

If they are anything like the vette's, and they are pretty close(close meaning oil requirements) you would need to run the oil meeting GM's requirement. I want to say GM4718 which Mobil 1 and other synthetics meet(PP/PU?)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anies
If they are anything like the vette's, and they are pretty close(close meaning oil requirements) you would need to run the oil meeting GM's requirement. I want to say GM4718 which Mobil 1 and other synthetics meet(PP/PU?)

That's what I'd imagine.
My GXP is 4718 as well, and being a DD I go with Amsoil SSO for a whole bunch of reasons.

I have an LS1 WS6, I run M1 10W30. That cars has a larger cam, headers, intake, N20 and a bunch of other stuff. It always has good oil pressure even hot. I have never seen it below 35 PSI even after hot lapping. UOA is also always very good.

I have ran M1 in all of my LS1 cars with no problems. I always run the AC/Delco or the Napa Gold (Wix) for my car.
Have you been on any of the LSX sites? PM if you want a list of them.

Thanks guys.

LS1mike: I'm on www.LS2GTO.com.

This engine is exactly the same as the 6.0 LS2 in the Corvette 2005-2007. M1 5W-30 factory fill. Standard filter facing straight down.

I'm naturally a Pennzoil fan, but you would be hard pressed to beat Mobil 1 in your application. Nothing wrong with the 5W-30 that comes from the factory, but you might want to try the Mobil 1 5W-30EP and see how it works.

When I was at the 24-Hours of Daytona the past two years, the team that ran the GTO last year, and this year ran the Camaro, (same car, different body) ran regular old Mobil 1 5W-30 in their car.

My brother owns one of the fastest (Patman can vouch for this!), pure bone stock automatic Corvettes EVER!!
It is a 2006 C6 which has gone 12.1x @~116 mph PURE STOCK!
(It is bolt-on modded and MUCH faster now.)

He runs Amsoil SSO (0W-30), with an Amsoil EaO filter.

But he does NOT open track/HPDE it.

I would step up to something slightly thicker for HPDEs/open tracking, depending on ambient temps, and session length.

I run Purolator Pure One filters and BOSCH Distance Plus filters on my LS2....whatever one is on sale at the time. I don't use the AC filters because their construction looks inferior to the Purolator/BOSCH filters.

I also run Mobil 1 0W40 oil in it (7qts).

The TBSS (Trailblazer SS) LS2s get worked a bit harder than the Vettes and GTOs by having to lug around 5,000+lbs and towing 6,000+lbs.

More than likely any stout Dexos 30w is fine for daily driving, these engines are NOT hard on the oil at all.

Without temps and pressures at an HPDE who knows. My car has used M1 0w-40 at many and it runs up to 300 degree temps. The M1 tested just fine repeatedly. So it kicks arse pretty well.

If you really want something that wins races go with Dominator by Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
More than likely any stout Dexos 30w is fine for daily driving, these engines are NOT hard on the oil at all.

Without temps and pressures at an HPDE who knows. My car has used M1 0w-40 at many and it runs up to 300 degree temps. The M1 tested just fine repeatedly. So it kicks arse pretty well.

LS2s are known to drink oil, especially with a thin 30wt, like say Mobil 1 5W30. They do better with a thick 30wt like German Castrol or a thick 30wt/light 40wt like Mobil 1 0W40. Plenty of evidence to back this up on the various LS2 and LS2 equipped vehicle forums. This engine has been around for a long time now.....all of it's secrets have been exposed.

Originally Posted By: pavelow

LS2s are known to drink oil, especially with a thin 30wt, like say Mobil 1 5W30. They do better with a thick 30wt like German Castrol or a thick 30wt/light 40wt like Mobil 1 0W40. Plenty of evidence to back this up on the various LS2 and LS2 equipped vehicle forums. This engine has been around for a long time now.....all of it's secrets have been exposed.

Huh. We'll, gee, I must be lucky with my LS2, it doesn't drink ANY oil.

Originally Posted By: Turk

Huh. We'll, gee, I must be lucky with my LS2, it doesn't drink ANY oil.

I will know for sure once I drain and measure how much oil comes out in the fall when I do my second oil change with this car, but so far I'm over 4500 miles on my current fill of M1 5w30 in my LS2 Corvette and the dipstick still shows full.

Originally Posted By: pavelow
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Absolute nonsense. Are you aware of how many are out there? All you hear from is the noisy forum attention seekers, not the zillions of happy owners who are just tooling around and enjoying their cars.

We have a fleet of 4.8/5.3/6.0 powered GM trucks, Silverados and Savanas. They do not all burn oil. Nor are they hard on oil at all. I have done 100's of UOA's on these engines across years and years and they consistently return great numbers on almost any oil.

Right.

My LS1 has almost 200,000 miles and STILL does not use oil. 8,000 mile OCI's and it's still full!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back