The new Indians revealed last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
Originally Posted By: grampi
...Most people who buy metrics don't do so because of brand loyalty...most people who buy Harleys do so because it says "Harley Davidson" on the tank...

Neither is exhibiting brand envy. If you can't afford the machine you really want, get another job.

That's the most mindless chatter I've seen in this thread yet. I have the bike I want. I'm the perfect example of what I was saying...I've owned bikes from all of the big 4 metric companies and all have been excellent machines...apparently, you can't handle the truth...

Originally Posted By: Mik
yes, cause we all want to pay big bucks for an underpowered, overweight, underperforming Hardley.... is that it? lol

Supposedly I envy that...Lol!

Personally, I don't know how any Harley owner could watch the videos I posted and not feel like hiding under a desk...

as you should...... lol

I guess they must figure if we all became "Hardley men" (lol), then they wouldn`t feel so bad about having been duped on their purchase, they could rationalise it as being ok after all.....

as you should...... lol

I guess they must figure if we all became "Hardley men" (lol), then they wouldn`t feel so bad about having been duped on their purchase, they could rationalise it as being ok after all.....

Having 4 different brands myself, and liking them all a lot, I just don't get the brand bashing thing. Seems like the average motorcycle enthusiast who didn't care for a particular brand would just move along and ignore threads concerning that particular brand. I've been told it's because of wives having run off with guys riding Harleys. Is that really the case?
'

as you should...... lol

Having 4 different brands myself, and liking them all a lot, I just don't get the brand bashing thing. Seems like the average motorcycle enthusiast who didn't care for a particular brand would just move along and ignore threads concerning that particular brand. I've been told it's because of wives having run off with guys riding Harleys. Is that really the case?
'

No bashing here, just stating facts...people who like Harleys don't want to hear the facts because it makes them look silly for their choice so they call it bashing...and the wives running off with the Harley guys do so because they know the fool is easily parted from his money...

Problem is I also own Honda, BMW and Triumph. Was I "duped" on those purchases too? Is there an organized group of you geniuses that I can consult before making future purchases? Am I a "poser" if I'm not riding the make and model you ride? There must be some logical explanation for your insecurity-induced, irrational rants. You two wouldn't be former Penn State athletes would you?

Am I to understand that you both lost spouses that way? I suppose that would make some bitter.

Problem is I also own Honda, BMW and Triumph. Was I "duped" on those purchases too? Is there an organized group of you geniuses that I can consult before making future purchases? Am I a "poser" if I'm not riding the make and model you ride? There must be some logical explanation for your insecurity-induced, irrational rants. You two wouldn't be former Penn State athletes would you?

Am I to understand that you both lost spouses that way? I suppose that would make some bitter.

No, you weren't duped on those purcahses as those bikes are actually built much better than a Harley...and the only thing irrational here is people trying to convince others that Harleys aren't inferior products...especially when you've been provided with proof that they're inferior...watch the videos...

No, you weren't duped on those purcahses as those bikes are actually built much better than a Harley...and the only thing irrational here is people trying to convince others that Harleys aren't inferior products...especially when you've been provided with proof that they're inferior...watch the videos...

Inferior is a very subjective term. Besides that, what is wrong with being enthusiastic about what is considered inferior to others. I think you are hearing "My bike is better than your bike," when what is actually being said is "I like my bike better than I like yours." There are days when I like to ride my BMW and days when I like to ride my Road King. I can enjoy the differences. Getting hung up on which is supposedly "better" or "inferior" only detracts from the experience.

Inferior is a very subjective term. Besides that, what is wrong with being enthusiastic about what is considered inferior to others. I think you are hearing "My bike is better than your bike," when what is actually being said is "I like my bike better than I like yours." There are days when I like to ride my BMW and days when I like to ride my Road King. I can enjoy the differences. Getting hung up on which is supposedly "better" or "inferior" only detracts from the experience.

Watch the videos...nothing subjective there...

The videos are advertising items. If Victory is so superior, they would be much more successful. I wouldn't mind owning a Victory or Indian, but resale is a real deal-killer. The Victory Vision I rode was very competent, but also very appliance-like. Just not the same feeling I get on the HD. But..that's just me. And it's like that for many others also. Victory is and has always been in the red. The whole concept is subsidized by other Polaris sales. When the four-wheeler/UTV craze dies down, Victory will die a slow and painful death. The local dealer here has brand new four-year old bikes on the floor. There are apparently some pretty potent intangibles that are necessary to make for a profitable and successful motorcycle venture.

If a guy wants to buy and ride a Victory/Indian I would certainly hope fellow enthusiasts don't call him a "poser" (whatever that is) or "duped."
Isn't it wonderful that we have all the choices we do?

How did this thread turn into a Harley bash? It was started on the new Indian and then went down the toilet. I own a Harley that I got new in 2006 and I have to say that it has been a very reliable and solid bike, just as good as the many metrics I have owned. I ride with my friends that have metrics and Harleys and we just enjoy riding no matter what the brand. Isnt that what its supposed to be about anyway? BTW, I hope I win the new Indian! Nice looking bike.

Last edited:
The videos are advertising items. If Victory is so superior, they would be much more successful. I wouldn't mind owning a Victory or Indian, but resale is a real deal-killer. The Victory Vision I rode was very competent, but also very appliance-like. Just not the same feeling I get on the HD. But..that's just me. And it's like that for many others also. Victory is and has always been in the red. The whole concept is subsidized by other Polaris sales. When the four-wheeler/UTV craze dies down, Victory will die a slow and painful death. The local dealer here has brand new four-year old bikes on the floor. There are apparently some pretty potent intangibles that are necessary to make for a profitable and successful motorcycle venture.

If a guy wants to buy and ride a Victory/Indian I would certainly hope fellow enthusiasts don't call him a "poser" (whatever that is) or "duped."
Isn't it wonderful that we have all the choices we do?

Of course it's an ad, but if your company had that many trump cards over your competition, wouldn't you use this as an ad? Also, don't bank on your Harley's resale value being high...the market is completely saturated with Harleys and these days they don't hold their resale value better than any of the other makes because of it. Don't believe me? Try to sell your Harley and see what you get for it. The only way you'll get a good price for it is if you trade it in on a new Harley...sell it outright and you'll take a big hit...

I really don't understand the ignorance in this thread. Are Harleys the best bike in the world? Are Honda's? Who cares. If you like the bike, buy it. I've owned 2 HDs a Yamaha, Kawasaki, and a Suzuki. I've ridden a bunch of other bikes. The bikes I owned were all great bikes. I'd buy them again. My next bike will probably be a BMW or a Harley.
Calling any motorcyclist a poser is ignorant. I'm curious why in this thread it's limited to Harley riders. If a guy has a tricked out sport bike, and never races it, isn't he posing as superbike racer? What about the guy that has a Goldwing or other touring bike, and puts 5,000 miles a year on it. Is he not a poser? I know a guy that owns a BMW GS. It's never been off road. Poser? As pointed pout earlier, Brando rode a Triumph. Are triumph rider Brando posers? Can someone explain to me in an intelligent manor why motorcyclist are so disrespectful to each other?
Sadly, there are groups of people that want to see motorcyclist go away. They want to ban our hobby. From what I've seen in this thread, those people have allies that are motorcyclist. Scary.

Originally Posted By: porkchop01
How did this thread turn into a Harley bash?

Because a couple of posters had to make sure the bikes they purchased were better than the Indian's that are out. But since neither has owned an Indian, they cannot bash it, so they go for the other most successful cruiser motorcycle, and of course its (the Indians) competition: A HD. What better way to derail a thread and justify their purchase?

I agree with you Porkchop (and Whip), I too, have owned Suzuki's, Hondas, and Harleys. Each bike has its purpose and its characteristics. I don't feel like I am a "poser" or "loser" or whatever just because I ride a certain brand of bike. It just shows the immaturity of some people who never got over the Chevy VS Ford wars they had in grade school..

I think a better question is why do people think it's bashing to point out differences in designs that make one superior to another, especially when it's backed up with proof? That's called presenting facts. To me bashing is making unsubstantiated derogatory claims, but some people just can't accept the facts so they will do and say anything to make themselves appear as less gullible. It's a fact that Harley's air cooled engine designs are antiquated compared to other makes...if you don't like that fact, don't buy Harleys, but don't call me a basher simply for pointing out facts...

What is really antiquated about them? Because they are air-cooled? Because they are push rod actuated?

you keep saying HD is inferior. Inferior to what? Seems to me if it were such a bad bike there sure wouldn't be much in sales, and please don't give me the marketing Kool-Aid. Seems the Metric bikes can't get enough of a HD so they literally copied a V-twin design to appease the masses. Hasn't really worked out that well for them in the big picture now has it?

I see most small prop-driven airplanes are air cooled and pushrod-activated. this is 2013, seems they should have done away with that long ago.

I think instead of bashing, or as you say it, "pointing out differences", maybe you should see just what the HD bikes are used for.

They are not "rockets", so no high revving 4 cyl engine bouncing of the redline, with the rider wearing the latest full body armor suit with the bike makers name emblazoned on its front.

They are not "Brit bikes" with their distinct sound and look, and stereotypical "lone rider" person.

They are not Gold Wings, known for their 50 miles of rocket-ship plastic and uber quiet and smooth ride, usually ridden by elderly gentlemen and their wives (hence the name "old wing")

They are not Dirt bikes with the suited muddy rider with his transformers-looking gas mask helmet..

They are purpose built for a specific type rider who likes the torque and sound of its power plant. Much like some of us like the sound of an old big block V-8. That "antiquated" air cooled engine can go as many miles as a water-cooled metric. It can be tinkered with and built up to whatever the driver wants. Can yo udo that with that ultra modern metric? I can garentee you that an old antiquated HD engine will out pull and our ride a modern metric, its been proven many times over in stock form.If it was junk, these riders would be first in line to get one of those ultra modern Metric cruisers - Sorry, just isn't happening. So when you "point out differences" please make sure you look at all the picture instead of just a slice. The fact you don't like them is one thing,and that is, of course your deal. But don't bash the people or the bikes if they continue to be the biggest bike buying group, and with all that $$, they obviously feel by experience that the quality is quite there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back