'09 Toyota Prius with 465,000 miles Retired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hypervish
They are ignoring the city mpg

Just another day on BITOG....

Most drivers do not drive mostly highway miles, thats why all the 'city' cars, such as hybrids exist.

I could care less that the Cruze or TDI wagon gets 40mpg highway, I like most people, barely drive highway miles. In such discussions, the non-hybrid enthusiast fails to mention that the Cruze gets 28mpg's city (probably while trying hard) while the hybrid (Prius in this case) gets 51-55mpg with little effort.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: [email protected]
Originally Posted By: hypervish
They are ignoring the city mpg

Just another day on BITOG....

Most drivers do not drive mostly highway miles, thats why all the 'city' cars, such as hybrids exist.

I could care less that the Cruze or TDI wagon gets 40mpg highway, I like most people, barely drive highway miles. In such discussions, the non-hybrid enthusiast fails to mention that the Cruze gets 28mpg's city (probably while trying hard) while the hybrid (Prius in this case) gets 51-55mpg with little effort.

This is the true benefit. Especially cab drivers where most runs would be considered stop and go city runs. I think the mileage doubles most cars in city. I get about 38-42 mostly HWY. I am sure if I run all city, I would be seeing around 27 at best. If I drove mainly city I would buy a hybrid ASAP. 50mpg+ in real world city driving? Not many compacts will come close.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I guess the convenient fact the this thread is about a Prius with over 450,000 miles done in few years on highway somehow escapes you guys?

It doesn't escape me. However, I don't live in Bitog-land where cars enter the freeway fully warmed up, drive at 60mph on flat roads and never have to stop...for anything...ever... Remember, this is the place where Crown Vic owners claim 30mph, since the scan gauge may instantaneously show that number for 3 seconds. Bitog-land!

In the actual universe, even people doing a ton of driving have to stop occasionally; for traffic, to eat, to get fuel, for nature breaks. A hybrid has an advantage during all of that stuff. Additionally, even when the hybrid system isn't engaged, it's still a benefit to fuel economy since it allows the use of a more efficient Atkinson-cycle engine (this isn't exclusive to hybrids, but the Sky-Active is the only non-hybrid of which I'm aware). Plus, the Prius is a really aerodynamic vehicle. Bottom line, it's real-world highway mileage is better than other cars of similar size, plus it's more fuel efficient when you get off the highway. After all, I don't think this courier is making deliveries on the freeway, is he?

I've always been able to get over highway EPA estimate. If I want to. I seem to have the commute that you say doesn't exist. I understand that you are harping about mixed mpg, but I've managed just fine going by the highway number. Mt tdi has been doing 53mpg on the last two or three tanks (one tank was 900 miles) and very little highway (too much temptation to exceed 55). I just got the Scangauge calibrated in the truck (corrected over a couple of tanks) and it indicated I did 23 to work and 21 home. 18.5 on a 1200 mile trip while towing a small camper. Worst mpg on that trip was a 107 mile stretch of suburban driving at 15.8. EPA is 19 highway on this beast.

Would be interesting someday to have a Prius. On my backroads commute I go thro a couple of 30mph zones. I wonder if it could hit 60mpg. If I had money to wburn on a new car I'd be tempted on a Prius C. Still like my wagon but it gets use solely as a commuter now.

I forget, since I own a diesel, am I supposed to hate the Prius?

Originally Posted By: supton

I forget, since I own a diesel, am I supposed to hate the Prius?

Just make sure to "roll coal" in their presence.

While I hated my Prius rental, and love my VW --- I would never recommend anyone that drives *that* much to buy a VW Tdi. Maybe at half as much --- I'd suggest considering a Passat Tdi that takes Ad-Blue, with a stick.

People forget that the DSG requires a $230 (if your dealer is inexpensive) fluid and filter change every 40k miles. It takes an hour and a half or so. It's $120ish if you do it yourself...and probably 3 hours. The engine's required oil is generally more difficult to obtain, and it is never less than $50 in oil and filter per oil change (Pep Boys will not allow ESP oil with their oil change specials, CLT local Advance and Auto Zones don't have ESP oils) if you do it yourself, and more than likely $75ish to take it to the dealer, if they're a reasonable dealer. Then the timing belt --- is $335 in parts --- and takes a day to change, or figure a grand every 130k miles. And a fuel filter every 20k miles.

Honestly, I'm not thinking this guy has time to do his own VW Tdi maintenance, mainly the additional time required to change the timing belt 3 or 4 times, the transmission fluid 7 more times vs. the Prius, and the fuel filter 21 times vs. the Prius' maybe 4 times??? Also you'd need brakes at least twice on the Tdi, even with minimal use. In terms of additional maintenance expense, it adds up to at least $5k! That's not insignificant, and I'm probably being overly fair to the dub with that! He got the car that got his job done significantly cheaper than anything else in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back