The Best synthetic motor oil - 2013 Nissan Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone...

Am new to this forum and this is my first posted question.

Just bought a Nissan Maxima 3.5 L S and have 3700 miles on it.

What is the best synthetic oil to use?

Couple of points regarding driving conditions:

1. Drive in the City w/ a lot of traffic
2. I drive it hard at times. It comes with the paddle shifting, so have a little fun with it.

Last edited:
Thanks SLCraig

Was actually looking into German Castrol 0w30, is that an easy oil to get ahold of?

Thanks guys...

Have used Valvoline Dino oil in the past and liked it. Something to consider then. Am sure both Valvoline and Castrol are great synthetics to use. Respect German engineering.. regarding the German Castrol. Guess next step is to compare price.

Originally Posted By: AaronE
Hello everyone...

2. I drive it hard at times. It comes with the paddle shifting, so have a little fun with it.

Aaron,

What viscosity does Nissan recommend for this car?

I don't think I would use GC (Castrol Syntec 0W-30) since that oil is rated API SL, and you likely need an API SN oil to maintain warranty coverage. GC is a great oil for sure, but maybe not the best choice for your application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
Originally Posted By: AaronE
Hello everyone...

Aaron,

What year model?
What viscosity does Nissan recommend for this car?

Since the mileage is so low, I'll assume it is fairly new. As such, I wouldn't use GC (Castrol Syntec 0W-30) since that oil is rated API SL, and you likely need an API SN oil to maintain warranty coverage. GC is a great oil for sure, but maybe not the best choice for your application.

^+1

use whatever is on sale... there is really no best qsud is good oil and priced ok although its slowly creeping up i saw it at $21.00 when and if it hits $22.00 that is when i stop buying it. i get bulk delivered to the shop but we are so busy i have a hard time getting my own car in and i own the place. i change oil sometimes in my driveway and i buy oil usually at wm because transporting oil in my car proved very messy!

What grade does it call for? If its 5w30 then PP 5w30 is a good option. No need for German Castrol, its almost a 40 weight at operating temp. Sure its a good oil, but not good for your application.

That's the VQ engine correct ? They are hard on oil and run hot. If you can find 05-W30 which is probably what your manual suggests Pennzoil Ultra you would be well served.

You absolutely can't go wrong with ANY of the Major brands. I would use whatever is on sale as far as it goes with the auto store monthly deals or M1 at WM which is $22.00 which is a great oil for a great deal.

IS there still a footnote in the owner's manual with a suggestion for Genuine Nissan Ester Oil?

There's no doubt GC is a good oil, but I suspect your vehicle calls for API SN/GF-5 5w-30 only. I'd stick with that while under warranty. Given that it probably has 3750 mile severe service intervals, I wouldn't fuss over a synthetic, either.

If you like Valvoline, it will serve you very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back