2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - VM 3.0L Turbo Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered a new '14 Grand Cherokee with the VM 3.0L diesel.

The manual has oil recommendations in two places.

1) We recommend you use ACEA C3 5W-30 engine oil meeting Chrysler material
standard MS-11106 or Penzoil Ultra Euro L full sythetic 5W-30 motor oil

2) Only use SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Low Ash engine oil such
as MOPAR, Pennzoil® or Shell Helix® which is recommended
for all operating temperatures. This engine oil
improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel
economy.

Are these really the only oils I can use? I'm having kind of a hard time finding a source of any of them (Except buying MOPAR at the dealer, I assume I'll be able to do that, but haven't called them yet).

You need an oil that meets the Chrysler spec. Look like a low saps oil is what they want.
You can use any oil that meets the ms-11106 I assume.

That was an exact cut/paste from the "Grand Cherokee OWNER’S MANUAL 2014 DIESEL SUPPLEMENT" that I'm pretty sure just became available for the first time today.

The SUVs just went on sale for the US market Aug 9th, none have been delivered yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Was was the price if you don't mind me asking and expected MPG?

I don't mind at all:

I went with a Limited 4x4, Off Road II, Lux II, Nav, Block heater. MSRP $49,280. I made the deal back in March for as soon as ordering opened (which just happened) and am paying $44,892 before Tax/Title/License.

EPA city/hwy mileage estimates: 22/30 mpg(2WD) 21/28 mpg(4WD) as stated above. No real life numbers for US spec trucks yet...as they aren't out. But they've had them in Australia for awhile and are reporting a couple of MPG better in real life - but that may not translate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Ultra Euro L is good. Dealer will probably stock it...ask what they charge per case.

I just ordered a couple of cases of it off of the internet, just to have some on hand.

Cool ride but OUCH!

I am afraid I may not be able to afford another Jeep.
frown.gif
Solution for now is to drive the wheels off the one I have.

What was the up charge over the 3.6L Pentastar engine? I thought I read about $4,000, I'm wondering what the actual cost was to you? Thanks!

If that engine is used in GM as well as Chrysler products the price should come down according to the article. That would be great, the engine makes some nice power at low rpms and the mpg is great. What's not to like.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
What was the up charge over the 3.6L Pentastar engine? I thought I read about $4,000, I'm wondering what the actual cost was to you? Thanks!

Base Engine: 3.6L V6 VVT ENGINE + 8-SPD AUTO 845RE TRANS (Standard)

3.0L V6 TURBO DIESEL ENGINE + 8-SPD AUTO 8HP70 TRANS [MSRP $4,500 / INV. $ 4,005]

5.7L V8 HEMI VVT ENGINE + 8-SPD AUTO 8HP70 TRANS [MSRP $2,695 / INV. $ 2,399]

Last edited:
Thanks, hopefully they sell a lot of them, and the price of the diesel engine comes down a bit. I think you've got a winner there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back