VW Diesel Oil Testing Protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.
The factory Castrol in these things is very good. The only issue is making sure the dealer is putting the right oil in them when people take them in for service.

It was always clear to me at least the oil approved by VW isn't the problem. Making sure it is actually what the dealer uses is...

In regards to PD Camshafts it was just poor metallurgy using the oil as a scapegoat. Should have been recalled kinda like he BMW Nikasil fiasco.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
It was always clear to me at least the oil approved by VW isn't the problem. Making sure it is actually what the dealer uses is...

In regards to PD Camshafts it was just poor metallurgy using the oil as a scapegoat. Should have been recalled kinda like he BMW Nikasil fiasco.

+1, Poor engineering can rarely be overcome with a lubricant.

Castrol company is too much good in these things no doubt but i am not satisfy with the castrol lubricant specially because i change the oil of the engine and use castrol brand but its not working well....

In the UK, my main point of reference, the PD engine was fitted to many different vehicles in 115 and 130 bhp versions since around 2000.

There were a few incidences of heavy cam lobe wear when they first came out and the cause was believed to be use of oils meant for the older 90 and 110 tdi's.

There are many products available that are labeled up for the PD engines and they are no longer known to have top end issues anymore.

This is also with the relatively long OCI's common in the UK.

The engine was fitted to the Ford/VW/Seat joint venture 7 seater which was one of the most popular Private Hire vehicles since its release in the late '90s.

Many of these have gone over 300k without issue and some have gone higher than that.

I am not a VAG fanboy and the 140, 2.0 Diesel engine as fitted to more recent VAGs is certainly a victim of poor engineering.

I don't think poor engineering is the issue with the earlier PD.

Though correct oil choice certainly is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back