Purolator Plus/Nissan OEM Filter Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2k3 Maxima and the newer OEM oil filter is very small. Looking to go to a somewhat oversize replacment. Have heard that the STP6941 and Purolator Plus L24458 may be good. Not sure what might cross reference from Bosch or Mobil 1(the 108 or 110 perhaps).
Does anyone know if the Purolator Plus line has a top/dome or baseplate bypass valve? Also, what is the bypass opening psi for the L24458(also the L14620 if you have it)? Lastly, if anyone has any other recommendations or relevant info(ie, the stock bypass psi of the Nissan OEM filter), I'd appreciate it.

I'm not sure about the location of the bypass valve on the Premium Plus, as this 2002 catalog I have doesn't show it (or I can't find it?) The L24458 filter has a relief valve psi of 8-10psi,
while the L14620 is 14-18.

As I mentioned in my email to you, the L20253 might just fit, and it's relief is 14-16psi.

Thanks. In 2002 with the VQ3.5L, Nissan went to an even smaller filter than the one on the 2k/2k1 Maximas. It is the same one used on the Sentra 2.0L engine and is 2.7" X 2.7" so even the 2k/2k1 filters are an improvement for my Max.
Given this, I may try the Purolator 14610(non leaking replacement for the 14620) or the Bosch 3323(do you know the bypass opening psi for this filter?) as they would be 'oversized' in length by about 3/4" yet maintain the same diameter with similar bypass psi.
Haven't gotten to the Mobil 1 filters yet other than the M108 is the supposed crossreference with some folks trying the M110. Some say the M110 fits alright, some say it has leaked on them. Does anyone have spec for these two filters?
Thanks again.

I have an '01 Max - I presume it uses the same tiny oem filter spec'd for yours. The Max filter pressure relief operates around 14 psi. The STP 6941 (and comparable Wal-Mart Super Tech) is rated at 17-22 psi. Another unofficial cross reference for the STP/Super Tech is the 3950, w/8-11 psi. A safer cross reference might be the 2808 with an 11-17 psi rating. STP & Super Tech use a paper & synthetic blend media and are rated for around 20 micron. I was told the oem is around 22-25, as are the paper media filters from Baldwin for the Max.

Bosch is a Champion made filter - 3323 is the catalog specified unit for my Max. According to a conversation I had with Champion Tech Support, a possible cross ref. (but like all non-cataloged cross references, is not supported nor warranted by manufacturer) is a 3312 having a comparable psi rating; I'm told it is a slightly larger diameter, so you would need to watch for potential sealing problems. According to Champion, Bosch has around a 15 micron rating.

Champion tech support rep also said that the pressure relief valve for the majority of foreign branded cars are not top mounted, regardless of manufacturer. I take that to include Nissan.
frown.gif

Because of application specific design, I don't think it is safe to assume that all Motorcraft or Purolator filters have top mounted valves.

There have been some concerns voiced about potential flow restiction for the Purolator PureOne because of the density of its media; but I don't know if that is a documented/proven issue. In other posts on this site, it has also been documented that the PureOne 14620 is not supported for use in Max due to potential seal/leak issues. (I do have one installed now & w/1,100 miles do not note any problems yet, but since learning of this problem I don't think I'll use it again.)

I've also read that neoprene is generally desireable, but it could have stiffness issues in cold weather. (Yeah, like who wouldn't?) I can't recall what is better than neoprene, nor what brands use that design.

I would personally love to find for my Max an oversized filter (ideally by length) with a 15 micron rating and top mounted pressure relief value around a 14 psi rating.

Good luck and please do share any other research info. you uncover.

[ September 08, 2002, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: KCDoug ]

quote:

Originally posted by nick778:
I have a 2k3 Maxima and the newer OEM oil filter is very small. Looking to go to a somewhat oversize replacment. Have heard that the STP6941 and Purolator Plus L24458 may be good. Not sure what might cross reference from Bosch or Mobil 1(the 108 or 110 perhaps).
Does anyone know if the Purolator Plus line has a top/dome or baseplate bypass valve? Also, what is the bypass opening psi for the L24458(also the L14620 if you have it)? Lastly, if anyone has any other recommendations or relevant info(ie, the stock bypass psi of the Nissan OEM filter), I'd appreciate it.

Nick,

Looks like the S6941 is your only option right now besides OEM, as Nissan increased the idle oil pressure to 14psi on the VQ35, which was 10psi on the VQ30. I would guess the new filter has a bypass valve pressure rating in the upper teens to 20psi.

Thanks,

Bill

[ September 11, 2002, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Bill, are we confusing pure oil pressure psi and the psi difference across the filter media as the tigger amount that opens the bypass valve? If what you say were true, most filters would be in the bypass mode almost all the time at and or above idle.
The purolator 14610, 14622(exact cross reference for the sentra 2.0L which the Nissan 2k2-2k3 OEM filter was designed originally for)and bosch 3300(oem replacement) and 3323 all have pypass opening psi in the mid to high teens like or similar to the Nissan OEM 'sentra' filter.
The stp 6941 appears pretty big compared to the Nissan OEM specs of 2.70 x 2.70(can you provide size specs please). BTW, the purolator 24458 that someone on the max/org board recommended has a bypass psi of 8-10 psi which is low to be used on the 2k2-2k3 Max. It is also pretty big in diameter(3.5" vs 2.7") and I don't see that much more room on mine to run that big a filter.
What do you think especially the pure psi and cross the media psi in relation to bypass opening?
Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by nick778:
Bill, are we confusing pure oil pressure psi and the psi difference across the filter media as the tigger amount that opens the bypass valve? If what you say were true, most filters would be in the bypass mode almost all the time at and or above idle.
The purolator 14610, 14622(exact cross reference for the sentra 2.0L which the Nissan 2k2-2k3 OEM filter was designed originally for)and bosch 3300(oem replacement) and 3323 all have pypass opening psi in the mid to high teens like or similar to the Nissan OEM 'sentra' filter.
The stp 6941 appears pretty big compared to the Nissan OEM specs of 2.70 x 2.70(can you provide size specs please). BTW, the purolator 24458 that someone on the max/org board recommended has a bypass psi of 8-10 psi which is low to be used on the 2k2-2k3 Max. It is also pretty big in diameter(3.5" vs 2.7") and I don't see that much more room on mine to run that big a filter.
What do you think especially the pure psi and cross the media psi in relation to bypass opening?
Thanks

Nick,

I won't speak for you, but my understanding was based on a flawed premise, and some late night research confirmed that. So, yes, I was confusing oil pressure psi and bypass relief psi.

All I can tell you about the S6941 is I have 2 confirmations of it working on both a VQ30 and VQ35 Maxima, and its size is around 3" x 4", which obviously makes it bigger than the OEM ones. It's $6.99 pricetag is its only real issue.

I take it the 14622 and VQ35 OEM filter are direct referenced to the SR20DE filter now, or is it the Q18A on the Sentra?

In 2000 Nissan generally switched to the tiny filter. I have a 2001 Sentra 2L. The filter for the 2000 Nissan Sentra calls for yet another filter. Seems they can't make up their minds. If you go to the thick Purolator Book found in some stores, I think you will find that the filters for the later Nissans will have the same filter diameter, mounting and bypass setting (14-16psi) as the one for the older Nissans. I think you will find that the PL 14610 will work. The equivanent for that filter is the Mobil 1-110 or the K&N 1010. Just look up the filter application for the 1999 Max. STP and Bosh have the longer element also. Interestingly the SuperTech specifies the small filter for all Nissans. They don't make the longer one with the correct specs.

I have used Bosch (don't remember the #), Mobil 1 110, Purolator PL 14610, and the K&N 1010 (My present filter) all with success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back