Mazda CX-7 Any real stories of reliability...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm considering a 2008 Mazda CX7 for my wife. I'd like to be reliable for at least 3 years.

The dealership is offering a lifetime engine warranty if the servicing is done there, and I'm asking about an extended warranty.

I've heard about timing chain issues, turbo issues, and sludge problems in these engines......most likely due to lack of maintenance.

How are they in general? any Mechanics or owners out there? Its nice to drive!

If you only want it for three years and the dealer is willing to warranty the engine in exchange for service, go to the dealer.

If it's the non-turbo engine you'll be fine. Avoid the turbocharged direct injected 2.3Ls unless you like intake valve deposits, poor PCV system, turbo oil pressure issues, and general first year direct injection system fun.

I'd get a newer CX5 in a heartbeat since it takes regular and get much better MPG. If you drive a lot it may make a real difference in cost to own.

Thanks guys, just not sure I want to fight them on any warranty issues. I don't have much faith in dealers.

It IS the 2.3 litre turbo engine.

The rest of the car is what I'd be worried about. The CX7 is a hodge-podge of various Mazda parts, interestingly.

I've known only one person with one, and the turbo blew up on it early in its life. He got it fixed, but proceeded to replace it shortly thereafter.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The rest of the car is what I'd be worried about. The CX7 is a hodge-podge of various Mazda parts, interestingly.

>implying

What's wrong with a GDI turbo engine that makes 258ft/lbs@2500 on regular, four-wheel ventilated discs, Haldex AWD or Aisin 6 speed auto? On a scale of the current state of "hodge-podge", I don't think it ranks very high.

ryan, check inside the oil fill hole to see if oil was neglected. You shouldn't have any issues with the turbo or the chain/tensioner provided they're in good condition right now. Just use a high HTHS, lower-NOACK 5w30 (any European formula), or even a 0w30 like GC and you won't have to think twice about the engine. Bonus reliability points for wife-duty and not street-racer duty:!

What I meant by hodge-podge was that it uses various systems from other Mazdas. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's a bit unusual in their lineup in that regard.

I can't really comment on the vehicle beyond my experiences with it as a rental car.

Originally Posted By: jrustles

>implying

What's wrong with a GDI turbo engine that makes 258ft/lbs@2500 on regular, four-wheel ventilated discs, Haldex AWD or Aisin 6 speed auto? On a scale of the current state of "hodge-podge", I don't think it ranks very high.

ryan, check inside the oil fill hole to see if oil was neglected. You shouldn't have any issues with the turbo or the chain/tensioner provided they're in good condition right now. Just use a high HTHS, lower-NOACK 5w30 (any European formula), or even a 0w30 like GC and you won't have to think twice about the engine. Bonus reliability points for wife-duty and not street-racer duty:!

Can't greentext here noob
wink.gif

Personally I don't know much about the CX-7 I've heard the turbo version is fairly unreliable, but that's just from one person I know who had one. Other than that no real idea.

I have a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 with the same engine. It had the typical first year teething issues that have since been corrected- variable valve timing actuator, smoking turbo, and a clogged EGR valve. All of the problems surfaced prior to 60,000 miles and the only non-warranted issue was the EGR. I now have 127,000 miles on it and I have had no issues since the EGR was replaced. The car returns @24 mpg in suburban driving and 28 mpg or more in rural environments. I run Mobil 1 5W-30 with a 7,500 mile OCI, and I have a UOA performed at every oil change. I recently ran the oil for over 8,200 miles and here are Blackstone's comments:

8,279 miles certainly wasn't too long to run this oil. Wear continues to look good, and we see no signs of any obvious mechanical problems developing. Fuel dilution read at a trace, but that's been an on-and-off find for a while now, and it's really not hurting anything. If it increased to more than 2.0% consistently, then we might be singing a different tune, but at just a trace, it's probably from city driving. The TBN read 1.9, which is still an okay reading. As long as it's above 1.0, we think it's fine. You could probably go 10K miles next without it dropping that low.

The only other significant issue I've had involves the short-lived OEM struts/shocks, but that may be an issue confined to the MS3. I wouldn't worry about the engine if it has been maintained properly.

What I meant by hodge-podge was that it uses various systems from other Mazdas. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's a bit unusual in their lineup in that regard.

I can't really comment on the vehicle beyond my experiences with it as a rental car.

yeah, that's true

Originally Posted By: Nick R

wink.gif

lol.gif
11.gif

wink.gif

lol.gif
11.gif

So much summer in here.

When exactly has parts sharing across a manufacturer's lineup been looked down upon, in the grand scheme of things? Why should a manufacturer share the same engine, transmission, and AWD systems across various vehicles, if the systems will serve equally as well in all the different vehicles it is placed in?

The Miata and the RX-8 have shared front and rear suspension components, rear axles, and transmissions over the years, that doesn't mean that one car is better or worse off because of it, it just means that the parts are well designed to be able to meet the needs of two different vehicles.

So what if the CX-7 uses the same engines as the Mazda 3, Mazda 6, and the Mazda 5?
Or the same transmissions? Or the AWD system that's in the CX-9?
It just means that Mazda is better at building components that can meet a variety of needs.

My best friend has a 2012 CX-7.
It's a great car.

BC.

wink.gif

lol.gif
11.gif

So much summer in here.

smile.gif
->
cool.gif
Deal with it

According to consumer reports which generally is as good of vibe as asking.

It has wonderful reliability in the transmission for 07 & 08. However ever other area of it is much worse than average. 2009 not enough data, 2010/2011 it appears they go there act together or it holds up when newish better and is better than average.

PASS for 07/08 unless a smoking deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back