Menzerna Power Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am almost out of Collinite 845. The bottle should have lasted longer, but it recently fell over and a good bit of it came out. Oops.

For its replacement, I ordered Menzerna Power Lock. After reading numerous reviews, the consensus is that Menzerna Power Lock, Blackfire Wet Diamond and Collinite 845 are all in the same league. The Menzerna and Blackfire products seem to carry an advantage in appearance for certain colors, but this is not consistent.

Have any of you esteemed BITOGers used Menzerna Power Lock? Can you comment on its ease of use, appearance and durability?

Thanks.

Yes, I have used menzerna power lock, the durability is quite good but not fantastic. The paradox of this polishing is, the longest shine comes from very flat surface, but the flat surface will not hold any sealant well (in my hypothesis especially the one with filler or oil).

So at the end of the day, I give up with the sealant, and just polish it very well and use hard coat to protect.

Are you looking for a beauty wax or durability? Sounds like durability... I have not tried Power Lock

You could also consider Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax. I waxed a relatives car with it 4 months ago, and it still beads water!

Durability. I have DP Max Wax that I can top with for Beauty. However, I must say that Blackfire Crystal Seal comes very close to a carnauba for beauty.

I did consider Meg Ultimate Paste Wax, but at $20/can, that's only $2 less than Menzerna Power Lock (w/coupon)...so it was tough for me to spend that much for a retail product.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
so it was tough for me to spend that much for a retail product.
Do you have any *objective* study handy showing that any boutique product is better than off the shelf retail product?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Do you have any *objective* study handy showing that any boutique product is better than off the shelf retail product?

This...Boutique does not mean better. Meg's Ultimate Wax is actually getting good reviews. Typically Meg's LSP have been so so, with the biggest complaint being durability. However, this has really changed with Ult. I can say first hand that it works and looks very nice. I guess part of me just likes to be able to walk in a store and buy my car care stuff when I need it. MEg's products are fussy...for the most part. Again, boutique brands make some interesting stuff, and I use them, but I would never say something boutique is better. YMMV

Looking forward to your report (and hopefully pics). I've read very good things about this product but haven't had the need to order any yet.

Really happy with Menzerna Power Lock. Applied it to a grey 2004 Accord today after a decon with NanoScrub fine grade (results were a bit disappointing there).

The Menzerna PowerLock went on really easily, and was easily spread. There must be a lot of oils in this stuff. Removal was a breeze and it hazed over within 5 minutes. It is MUCH easier to work with than Collinite 845.

If this test is still valid for the updated black-bottle version, then I think this product is a real winner:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/60869-menzerna-powerlock-little-test.html

If you're having trouble with Collinite 845 your paint is not prepped right. 845 is one of the easiest waxes I've worked with that also has good durability.

Almost every other other product, in terms of waxes and even most sealants, in my experience, if it's super easy to use it also tends to not last as long.

As far as sealants go, I haven't used Powerlock but have used Blackfire Wet Diamond and from online reviews the comparison between the two is very similar. And still with properly applied BFWD vs Collinite, Collinite still wins in terms of slickness and longevity. And that goes especially with the Collinite paste waxes which last even longer, even though honestly I rewax monthly anyways. But the slickness especially after multiple washes of the BFWD still don't compare to Collinite.

But the real key is having a properly prepared surface, means it has to be clean and no bonded contaminants. Basically if the paint doesn't feel glass smooth you'll have difficulty when waxing. And thin layering. It's the number one reason people have trouble besides letting the wax sit for too long especially so with 845 because of how easy it is to apply people use too much, basically when you're done waxing the "haze" shouldn't look like a caked on layer, it really should look more like you smeared some fingerprints. And the only way to accomplish that is if the surface doesn't have bonded contaminants.

There are rare cases of neglected paint that's become microporous but if that's the case nearly any wax will be difficult to use. If you still have problems with difficult waxing then try the wax on wax off method. You apply the Collinite wax a little more generously and instead of letting it dry you immediately wipe it off with the microfiber. In reality all this does is ensure, in a foolproof manner, you've put on the correct thin layer. Then you can come back later and buff it to remove any leftover oils and hazing and a nice trick to really bring out the shine is to spray a tiny mist of detailer spray to the microfiber cloth before the final buff. This gives it that real wet look amazing shine.

Originally Posted By: qwertydude
If you're having trouble with Collinite 845 your paint is not prepped right. 845 is one of the easiest waxes I've worked with that also has good durability.

Collinite 845 works fine, but I really prefer working with Menzerna Power Lock. I think the main advantage of Power lock is the very thick consistency. Instead of soaking into your applicator pad, the product remains on top...and from my experience, makes it easier to spread. I think it is strictly a matter of preference - from what I've read, I'm quite certain that both products will perform similarly.

And thanks - I really agree with your statement about having a glass-like surface. It makes a world of difference when applying your LSP.

That's sorta why I prefer the paste waxes. If you like the thick consistency why not go all the way? If you want something that doesn't soak into the pad a paste will never soak into a moistened applicator.

The only downside is you really have to work the paste onto the paint whereas a thick liquid will spread more like a lotion. Trying to get a paste wax to spread effortlessly like a thick liquid is almost a guarantee for overapplication.

I know I have my experiences with the nanoscrub but what did you not like about it? Mine was it mars the finish if you're doing heavy decontamination and the sponge has no feel to it so you don't know when you're done.

The easiest paste waxes IMO are P21S 100% Carnauba or Concours Look. They're buttery smooth, you can wipe them off almost as soon as you apply it, and they produce an incredible shine. Only drawback is durability compared to something like 845, but if one waxes relatively often these make great sense.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81

This...Boutique does not mean better. Meg's Ultimate Wax is actually getting good reviews. Typically Meg's LSP have been so so, with the biggest complaint being durability. However, this has really changed with Ult. I can say first hand that it works and looks very nice. I guess part of me just likes to be able to walk in a store and buy my car care stuff when I need it. MEg's products are fussy...for the most part. Again, boutique brands make some interesting stuff, and I use them, but I would never say something boutique is better. YMMV

I have found that in general (there are always exceptions), the boutique products are designed for a more-demanding and more-discerning client base that tends to have higher expectations. As a whole, I have had better results with the specialty/boutique products versus the over-the-counter stuff.

Originally Posted By: qwertydude
That's sorta why I prefer the paste waxes. If you like the thick consistency why not go all the way? If you want something that doesn't soak into the pad a paste will never soak into a moistened applicator.

The only downside is you really have to work the paste onto the paint whereas a thick liquid will spread more like a lotion. Trying to get a paste wax to spread effortlessly like a thick liquid is almost a guarantee for overapplication.

I know I have my experiences with the nanoscrub but what did you not like about it? Mine was it mars the finish if you're doing heavy decontamination and the sponge has no feel to it so you don't know when you're done.

I agree - which is why I prefer liquid sealants. They are still easier to apply IMO than a paste wax, and with PowerLock, I get the durability that I am looking for.

As for the nanoscrub, I have had no issues with marring (except on the 1st panel it was used on, post break-in). Until now, the nanoscrub 6" pad has performed flawlessly for me - even on "heavily" contaminanted cars.

On this particular vehicle, the pad only removed about 60% of the contaminants. However, after some thought, this particular vehicle has been to the body shop multiple times...so the remaining contaminants are probably paint overspray. I have a Nanoscrub Medium Grade wash mitt on order and hopefully, this will take care of the remainder.

I have found that in general (there are always exceptions), the boutique products are designed for a more-demanding and more-discerning client base that tends to have higher expectations. As a whole, I have had better results with the specialty/boutique products versus the over-the-counter stuff.

Opinions allowed. I agree that's how they are designed, and even more so, marketed. However, I have used plenty of boutique products that don't stack up to their OTC counterparts. I guess my only ask is to give some of the "better" OTC products a chance. I would put Meg's UPW up against some of the "big boys" any day.

Menzerna has always made some of the best detailing products you can buy. Their formulations are pure and don't have fillers and gums like other huge unnamed marketing powerhouses contain. Menzerna is the best polish you can get. however, for a durable LSP I still use Zaino with their instant cure. 845 is great protection, leaves a nice thick coat that guards against tree sap and bird bombs, but for sealing the tiny pores in clear coat, Zaino is still the best you can get.

I think it boils down to this....there is no "best." Mike Phillips, a very respected detailer/product expert left me with his famous quote: "Find something you like and use it often." Great words.

A lot of manufacturers make great products. Some a bit better than others, some equal. Use what you like and use what makes YOU happy.

I think it boils down to this....there is no "best." Mike Phillips, a very respected detailer/product expert left me with his famous quote: "Find something you like and use it often." Great words.

A lot of manufacturers make great products. Some a bit better than others, some equal. Use what you like and use what makes YOU happy.

Very true. However, I feel that Menzerna Power Lock has better "lubrication qualities" that makes it easier to spread and less likely to marr perfect finishes. Removal is also much easier.

In fact, I have a coat of Power Lock on my dad's van right now. This time, I'm going to let it sit for 1 hr+ to see if it allows for better bonding.

Very true. However, I feel that Menzerna Power Lock has better "lubrication qualities" that makes it easier to spread and less likely to marr perfect finishes. Removal is also much easier.

In fact, I have a coat of Power Lock on my dad's van right now. This time, I'm going to let it sit for 1 hr+ to see if it allows for better bonding.

The PowerLock cures within 24 hr, so 1 hr or 30 minutes does not make different, the one make difference is to bake it under the sun after you polish as much as you can.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog

The PowerLock cures within 24 hr, so 1 hr or 30 minutes does not make different, the one make difference is to bake it under the sun after you polish as much as you can.

I remember reading somewhere that it is best to wait at least 1hr before removing certain sealants. While the sealant may have "hazed over" after 15 minutes, the "cross-linking" that occurs needs additional time.

My understanding is that the cure time is only applicable for: 1) exposure to the elements, 2) for application of a second coat or a different topper wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back