Micron filter rating for NAPA Platinum oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day!

Does anyone know what the filtration micron rating for the NAPA Platinum? Not how much it holds, but at what level can it filter out particulates? I did a quick google, but found 70 microns, that doesn't seem accurate....thanks in adavnce.

Pajero

A recent discussion of this resulted in no definitive answers.

I recently e-mailed WIX and asked why many of the Platinums are rated at B2=20 and their reply was:

"I would love to clear this up over a phone call. Please give us a call at 1-800-949-6698 between the hours of 8am – 5pm Eastern time, Mon – Fri."

I will defer the phone call to someone else here that has better knowledge of Beta ratios etc..

Instead of a WIX Plat....may I suggest the Fram ULTRA, a top-tier filter and a 'best buy' of any long OCI filters available....with an excellent micron rateing to boot. It is well liked on this website, and good for up to 15K OCI's.

If your OCI's are in the 7500 range, you can use it for two OCI's (i.e. 2 X )7500. That what I'll be doing.

Its hard to beat at only $8.97 at WalMart.

In the real world how can you tell which full flow oil filter is the best for your application? Answer? Difficult, maybe impossible. No one knows the long term effects of using one filter over another. You can make a guess by looking at the inside and the quality of materials and construction. You can start doing UOA's and watch for trends or big problems. There is one way to clean the oil and start over at your original baseline, change the oil. Beyond that there may be no difference in oil filters if you stick to a filter with quality construction and material and leave it at that. With this in mind and a list of qualified filters the best one would be the one on sale.

I would love to know the efficency of the Platinum/XP filter as well. It's hard to beleive it's not published somewhere
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

I recently e-mailed WIX and asked why many of the Platinums are rated at B2=20 ...

That's only 50% @ 20 microns. Yeah, hard to believe that, but again the Toyota OEM filters are about the same @ 51%.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

I recently e-mailed WIX and asked why many of the Platinums are rated at B2=20 and their reply was:

"I would love to clear this up over a phone call. Please give us a call at 1-800-949-6698 between the hours of 8am – 5pm Eastern time, Mon – Fri."

I will defer the phone call to someone else here that has better knowledge of Beta ratios etc..

I'll give it a try today ... would love to hear what they have to say.

In the past, when I've emailed and called, and got deep into the conversations, I've typically found the "tech" on the other end having a lack of knowledge and ability to understand the details. I have been very disappointed by Wix "tech" line people over the last few years. All they do is give boiler-plate rhetoric and don't lend themselves to intelligent conversation. But perhaps they've taken a new approach? It cannot be any worse than the white-wash approach of "Beta 2/20=6/20" on nearly every filter now.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
In the past, when I've emailed and called, and got deep into the conversations, I've typically found the "tech" on the other end having a lack of knowledge and ability to understand the details.

Nice double post, Dave.
wink.gif

Nonetheless, I think that's the unfortunate result of trying to discuss technical matters with customer service representatives. Someone making barely above minimum wage is not going to understand beta ratios whatsoever. Your mathematical knowledge would probably appear akin to sorcery to them. It's no different than every call to the satellite or internet company - just reboot the system and it'll be fine, or reboot your computer, or modem, or router; or, alternatively, you shouldn't have rebooted anything because now I can't diagnose the problem.
smile.gif

I just got off the phone with Wix; here is what they told me ...

The XP filters are 50% beta at 20 micron. I asked if that was a typo; I was told "They are made for use with synthetic oils and harsh driving conditions."

To which I replied: "Is there someone that can speak with me about the reason such an expensive premium filter is so poor at filtering?"

And the answer I got was "Sir, this is the best filter we offer. It is made for use with synthetic fluids and harsh driving conditions." (As I heard her typing in the background, searching for the answers ...)

I said "Most of your filters are rated B2/20=6/20; that would make a normal filter much more efficient at it's primary job of filtering. Why would I want to use a filter that is rated so poorly?"

The answer I got (you guessed it ...)
"The XP is specifically intended for use with synthetic fluids and harsh driving conditions."

I asked: Should I only use a normal filter with normal oil and an XP with synthetics? She said (after more typing was heard) ... "You can use any of our filters with any oils."

I retorted: If I can use any filter with any oil, they why would I pay for much poorer performance in a premium filter. Are you sure that's not a typo?

"Our XP is specially made for use with synthetic fluids and harsh driving conditions."

Seriously - someone else should call and see if I was having a nightmare or what ...

I have my doubts that the XP is that poor at 20 micron (50%), but if it is true, then I'd NEVER use one.

Sad, sad state of affaris at Wix nowdays. They used to be helpful and informational; they've become worthless in consumer information sharing. They are set up for mass-market canned answers and cannot get past the rhetoric. In all honesty, it's not that they don't make good stuff, but if this is the kind of bovine poo they are going to push on me, then I will continue to shop for alternatives at cheaper prices. They simply are not "good enough" for me to be loyal to such condescending dribble.

After a few minutes I called back, and specifically asked for a person that could answer techical questions and not read off boilerplate computer screen data; I was transferred to another desk, and was able to leave a VM for the person (with an undistinguishable name on the VM header).

Stay tuned ...

Last edited:

And the answer I got was "Sir, this is the best filter we offer. It is made for use with synthetic fluids and harsh driving conditions." (As I heard her typing in the background, searching for the answers ...)

"The XP is specifically intended for use with synthetic fluids and harsh driving conditions."

"Our XP is specially made for use with synthetic fluids and harsh driving conditions."

I think they must have a Stepford wife working there that needs some reprogramming.
crazy.gif

I asked: Should I only use a normal filter with normal oil and an XP with synthetics? She said (after more typing was heard) ... "You can use any of our filters with any oils."

Well, at least that was a decent answer.

My local O'reillys rep came by today, he's actually a really sharp guy. I asked him to find out about the WIX XP effeciency, he instantly grabbed his cell phone and spoke to the WIX rep he works with. WIX rep said to text him the filter # and he would get back with the info. We'll see what happens. I have faith in Dan(O'reillys.

Sad, sad, sad. Wix/Napa Gold was my go-to filter for many years. I liked the fact that Wix only put their name on ONE line of QUALITY filters and didn't succumb to the 'good, better, best' marketing bu!!$hit. Now, sadly, they have a 'premium' product and can't even tell us why it is better than their standard product. I just bought two of these (Napa Platinums) and I won't use 'em if they're nothing but rock catchers.

C'mon Wix, I'm waiting for an explanation...

Troubling. I picked up two Napa Platinums last month when they were on sale, intending to use them for the upcoming OCs in my Fords. This could be the last time I bother with this brand, particularly considering the cost premium over alternative filters. Probably just as well to stick with my reliable FL‑400S.

I just got off the phone with Wix; here is what they told me ...

The XP filters are 50% beta at 20 micron. I asked if that was a typo; I was told "They are made for use with synthetic oils and harsh driving conditions."

I said "Most of your filters are rated B2/20=6/20; that would make a normal filter much more efficient at it's primary job of filtering. Why would I want to use a filter that is rated so poorly?"

I'm betting it's a typo ... I'm thinking that B2/20=6/20 somehow got misconstrued into "B2=20".

If not, and it's efficiency really is B2=20, then I'd be totally shocked that a full synthetic would perform so badly when all the others out there perform much better than B2=20.

Yes - I agree. Likely a typo. Not the first time it's happened either. There used to be a typo in the filter for my Dmax. I called and asked about it; it changed about a year later ...

No one from Wix has called me back. Shocking ...

Wix service sucks, IMO. Not their products; I use the products and I've been very happy with their offerings. But Wix customer service sucks; no other way around it. And, their website pretty much sucks now, too; it's become a pile of whitewashed data intermixed with errors. Of course, that could be said of a lot of companies as well.

Until the efficiency ratings of the Wix XP/Napa Platinums are posted I'll most likely stick with the Fram Ultras or Purolator Synthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back